Just returned from Utah...buried in snow (pics)
15 posts
11 users
1k+ views
Chad
March 29, 2005
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
Our two months of prayers were answered last week, with 3 feet of freshies. A family friend provided us a couple of nights in their slopeside condo at Solitude, in Big Cottonwood Canyon just minutes from downtown SLC. The snow started the day before we got out there, and it didnt stop snowing during our two days at Solitude and one up the canyon at Brighton. The year-to-date is now over 600 inches!

The Summit lift at Solitude was beyond epic. The powder was two feet deep, and untracked lines were there for the taking from open to close. I would have carried my camera up on the slopes but knew i wouldnt be able to keep it dry. At Brighton my 5-year-old son tried to cut through the trees between two trails, and was buried in snow several feet below trail-level. I had to hike back up and pull him out.

At the heated outdoor pool (also very nice) we met a disappointed family from texas. The snowfall was ruining their vacation:

"We plan our ski trips in March instead of January for a reason." "A heavy snow warning AFTER the beginning of spring?"

I dont think they will be back. Todays forecast:

...HEAVY SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO NOON MST WEDNESDAY...ACCUMULATIONS WITH THIS SECOND STORM WILL RANGE BETWEEN 12 AND 24 INCHES. HIGHER LOCAL ACCUMULATIONS ARE POSSIBLE ALONG THE WEST SLOPES OF THE WASATCH RANGE...
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 29, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
There is some kind of unbelievable and very precisely concentrated aberration in the jet stream this year. A band of moisture keeps sweeping thru the west coast from San Diego to Oregon state line and everytime Tahoe gets hammered with snow, Utah gets it a couple days later, maybe with slight less quantities, but a little bit dryer. Colorado, esp western is also having a great year. But Tahoe and the Wasatch areas are absolutely feasting this year while the Pacific northwest missed the moisture train almost completely (except real lately).
Chad
March 29, 2005
274 posts
Here are some Utah pics...

Solitude parking lot.

Solitude parking lot.

Slope view from our condo. Yes those are cars down there.

Bunny hill at Solitude.
powderpig
March 29, 2005
Member since 12/5/2003 🔗
63 posts
Where is my teleporter when I need it?! beam me up Scotty...someone, anyone, please BEAM ME UP!!!
jimmy
March 29, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Chad, I hate you j/k

Pig, Life ain't fair. 5 days in UT earlier in March, lows in the 30s, high in slc in the 60s, spring conditions, timing is everything, beam me up.
Chad
March 29, 2005
274 posts
Quote:

Life ain't fair. 5 days in UT earlier in March, lows in the 30s, high in slc in the 60s, spring conditions, timing is everything

Funny thing, down in the valleys it was all rain. Spring skiing in Utah is like most everywhere else, when the calendar says its spring the lift lines get short. Saturday the sun came out and it was a beautiful cloud-free day. Unfortunately I had used up all my ski days and had to spend the weekend hanging with the in-laws...
KevR
March 29, 2005
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
oh that's totally awesome minus the bit about me not being there or even able to get there any time soon. and i have a dang free SW RT set of tix ta boot... I'd just pretend then -- MORE PICS!
JohnL
March 29, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Chad,

I might have been on the mountain the same day you were. Me:
Sun 3/20: Alta (> 18" overnight)
Mon 3/21: Alta (> 12" overnight)
Wed 3/23: Solitude (> 18" overnight)
Thur 3/24: The Canyons
Fri 3/25: Solitude (? overnight)
Sat 3/26: Brighton

An unbelievable week.

Wednesday at Solitude was beyond epic. In addition to getting knee-deep+ on every lap until closing (on 93mm skis!), I couldn't believe how many times I was the first person down a trail: the bowl under the Powerhorn lift, some gulleys around Middle Slope, several chutes in Headwall Forest, a meadow in Buckeye Junior and several chutes in Black Forest. Fresh tracks are amazing enough, but when you are the very first person down a slope, it's pretty wild! That never would never have happened at Alta.

Anything less than a steep black was almost unskiable that day. Breaking traverses in Headwall sucked...
Crush
March 29, 2005
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
no sh1t sherlock ! We've been getting the favors of Ullr .... man this week and last we got a bunch of snow and tonight no doubt we'll get 8" average more!!!

Toally busted my self up skiing everything from groomers to rowdy terrain (I love getting thrown around!!!!!!) the Fagowees and some of Team Z r out here having fun.

Looks like x-cellent contitions thru Friday so ... ROCK ON!!!!!!!!
Roger Z
March 29, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
ARGH! Those photos and the stories of JohnL's about Solitude are bringing back wonderful memories... like getting fresh tracks THREE DAYS after a storm. Gotta... go... BACK... SSSSOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNN!!!!
Chad
March 30, 2005
274 posts
Quote:

Wednesday at Solitude was beyond epic.

yes i was at solitude wednesday as well. mostly in the afternoon though. as epic as that day was, thursday was even better! the wednesday snow was plentiful, but a little heavy and sticky as the temps were warm and the sun even came out for a short time.

thursday night came another 9 inches of new, and it snowed non-stop all day long. the summit lift provided face-shots all day long, even from my short snowboard. we hit untracked pow every run until closing.

friday i was at brighton and it was snowing again, but this time i could only stay half-day.
JohnL
March 30, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
The Wednesday snow was indeed heavy by Utah standards, especially in some faces which get sun exposure or were at lower altitude, but "If you build a forest, they will ski in it." The snow in the trees was amazing. With the exception of the trip down the bowl under Powderhorn, I spent the entire day in the woods.

The open faces to the right of the Summit lift (when riding up), tend to get a lot of sun exposure and don't have the reliable conditions that other sections of the mountain do. I tend to avoid that section of the mountain.

Friday's snow at Solitude was lighter, but a lot more tracked out.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
March 30, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Nothing like a lake season powder memories to get you through the long hot summer. I'm jealous JohnL!
LordHedgie
March 30, 2005
Member since 12/1/2004 🔗
49 posts
I just posted my Breck trip pics over on EpicSki, but if the locals want to see them too...

All these shots were taken Saturday (26th):

Hedgie's Ski Trip
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 30, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Wonderful pictures...getting me burning to go to the West sometime next week!
The Colonel

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?