The Ski Area that CAN'T.....DID!!!
6 posts
5 users
1k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 19, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
What a great day at Timberline. Warmish, sun, great snow, crowds but reasonable lift lines,...and Snowy Luau Weekend.
A BLAST! Ski races, shovel races, synro skiing, big air contest, Hawaian show, music, drums, Hawaian costumes, everybody in a great mood, and to top it off...the largest and brightest torchlight parade I have ever seen...and I have seen them in Colorado and NE. Maybe 80+ skiers in the parade, slowly descending the mountain, with two red torches apiece. Something to see, with fireworks from the top of the mountain at the smae time. I have attended the season ending ski bashes at other mid-atlantiic resorts - Snowshoe, Canaan, etc. and each was fun, but this topped the cake. And to make it really great, several DCSkiers met at the Patrol Hut at the top at 10:00 and skied together much of the day.
I am looking forward to tomorrow even if it showers "underdeveloped snow". Be at the Hut at 10:00. And make plans to come to the Timberline's Snowy Luau next year, you won't be disappointed!!
Folks, including myself, in this forum often fuss about Timberline, but this day they got everything RIGHT!
The Colonel
Kris
March 20, 2005
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
I have to agree. It was a blast. The snow got kinda slushy a bit between noon and 2 but there was still some good power in the wooded areas around Off the Wall. Great time. Didnt get to stay for the parade though, wish i could have.
kwillg6
March 21, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,070 posts
Col, wv, and the rest...GREAT WEEKEND! Saturday was incredible although a little sticky by 3pm. I had no legs left after doing every bump run over and over untill only rocks were left. The rain held off until evening, and even then, it was snow on top. Sunday was another day and all that was soft turned rather hard by noon as temps dropped below 32. But, it's saving itself for next weekend and more good spring skiing. I'll post the pics as soon as I have a chance.
jimmy
March 21, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Oh my the torchlight parade was really neat, wonder how many turns they made down white lightning, seemed like it was an endless number of torches. Those of you who didn't trust the weather, better luck next year! Sunday morning was woo who, whowhowho, too sweet for words.

Colonel, wvrocks, k&m willg6, great to meet, make turns and enjoy a great weekend w/you. Looking forward to some pictures.

jimmy
rmcva
March 21, 2005
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
What time did the parade start?
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 21, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
tHE TORCHLIGHT PARADE STARTED ABOUT 8:35.
THE COLONEL

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?