Grooming at Timberline/Canaan
5 posts
4 users
Buckeye Skier
March 16, 2005
Member since 01/11/2004 🔗
54 posts
Looks like we're making a trip Friday to Cannan or Timberline. I was wondering which resort will have better grooming with the warming conditions. I have only been in the valley one time when the conditions were granular/frozen granular. That was several years ago and Canaan's conditions were much better than Timberline's. It was like their groomers dug down deeper. I know Timberline has the best hill and terrain but its been a long time since we hit Cannan. Will there be much of a difference in the conditions? Any insight is appreciated.
kwillg6
March 17, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Wow, tough question.... This weekend, I doubt if you would be disappointed with either resort. Last Sunday, I talked to the race director at t-line and he indicated that while setting gates in lower thunder, he was drilling through 8-12" of packed powder to hit hard base. It has not had a real hard freeze/thaw since last week's 20" so skiing should be good at either resort. If the valley gets rain, it could be a little crusty at CV where they don't groom in the meadows, and the natural snow only runs could close due to thin base.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 17, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
People generally shy away from answering this kind of question because they don't want to be responsible for the questioner being disappointed. One strategy might be to buy a single ride at Canaan for $5 and inspect it and if you're disappointed go to Timberline. TL doesn't sell single rides. In New England it was traditional for many years that the first hour or half hour was free so skiers could inspect conditions. Okemo still does that I think, but nobody else does.

That aside, it's like fishing, if you don't go you don't catch fish. You may not catch them if you do go but you've got a chance.
warren
March 17, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Denis,
Very good point and analogy

-Warren-
Buckeye Skier
March 17, 2005
Member since 01/11/2004 🔗
54 posts
Thanks fellas. I think we're just going to go with Timberline.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?