Lots of Mid-Atlantic Skiing Left
18 posts
12 users
3k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 8, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Wintergreen to stay open until Easter, with plenty of snow. Canaan Valley just announced a special Easter Weekend ski and lodging rate. Timberlin and Snowshoe going strong. Visit all the websites, all are offering special deals for late March. ENJOY, VISIT OFTEN...many areas shut down not from a lack of snow, but from a lack of skiers.
The Colonel
KevR
March 8, 2005
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
that's cool -- i'd like to hit one of whitetail, roundtop before April. Any ideas on those? No way I can make it this weekend and Easter weekend is out too.

(alas)

If they were open in April I'd ski 'em just to say I'd done it!
Roy
March 9, 2005
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
When is Easter?

I know Liberty is planning on staying open until March 20th (but could go longer depending on weather and crowds). It's very important for all of us to go out and ski the local mountains in March. Your typical DC and Baltimore resident stop skiing in February. As crowds wain (sp), areas start to close. Go Ski!
kwillg6
March 9, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,074 posts
Easter being the last weekend in March this year would be the normal closing date in a good snow year. HOWEVER if everyone were to go out and ski just one of those days on that weekend and go to whatever resort is open the following weekend (t-line & shoe and whoever else) they just might consider keeping it open in ensuing years a little longer. The shoe used to open cupp for a saturday lift price of $15 the weekend after regular closing if there was good snow on it. But that was before Intrawest
langleyskier
March 9, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I have to row crew most of spring break but am planning to hit whitetail as many times i can that week (19th-26th or somewhere around there). The only problem all my skiing friends are the typical stop skiing when spring sports start (feb 22nd) . We all need to get these type of people to notice that skiing late year can be some of the best skiing of the year (especially this year)!!! I know the snowtime resorts could if they wanted stay open to April on years like this but like you all have said it is because lack of skiiers the resorts close. So i highly encourage everyone to rally your friends and support the local resorts!!!! (and have some amazing skiing)
bawalker
March 9, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I wonder sometimes just how long the Mid-Atlantic season could go if the resorts pushed marketing to the furthest degree possible. What about discount vouchers/tickets to students of schools in the area? Tickets for students who perform great on report cards? How about coupons at every grocery store from here OC and back?

Sometimes I feel like the resorts themselves loose interest in pushing the ski season past the end of March. Even if they were running discount tickets of $10 to students and if they got 150 students a day, thats still more income than 25 people paying say $25 for a late season lift ticket. Just some thoughts.
KevR
March 9, 2005
786 posts
I don't know but the last 3 seasons (or so?) Whitetail/Roundtop/Liberty have all closed mid-march regardless of how much snow that have left. I heard they simply lose the crowds to other activities when the weather starts to turn... anyway, based on that i have been wondering if this yr (which seems colder here in march than the last few yrs) and the late season snows will push the closing date back a weekend or two (I am hoping for Mar 19 as i can ski that day)... sure, be great if they got even more days too. If not, then I'll probably hang up the skis for '05.
tromano
March 9, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
This spring looks like a good one. I will be sking as long as I can.
Roy
March 9, 2005
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
The crowds really begin to slow down in March. Because it is so slow, Liberty has given me the last two and tomorrow off. No work but I did get to Whitetail today to ski something different.

I'm thinking Roundtop or Blue Knob tomorrow.
finsoutoc
March 10, 2005
Member since 09/30/2003 🔗
172 posts
I've heard from a reliable source that Roundtop will 'probably' have an extend season featuring parks and pipes for a period after 'closing'.
KevR
March 10, 2005
786 posts
NOW that's a good idea. I have felt for awhile now that there is a market if you can make the snow for some folks -- especially the terrain park folks "pre and post" season. I'd love to see RT, WT (or liberty but haven't skied there in eons) stay open past mid-march for general skiing/boarding. I know RT was open last yr past the other for 1 weekend -- will they do it again this yr? There's just no way for me to make it this weekend or easter wknd unfortunately anywhere, so mar 19 wknd would be it for me. I can't envision April at those places so i'm not even going to think about that!
finsoutoc
March 11, 2005
Member since 09/30/2003 🔗
172 posts
i'm pretty sure its going to happen but probably be a weekend only kind of deal for as long as they get people and have snow. supposedly, its going to be a bare bones deal with no lodge, rentals, or lessons. just park and pipe.
jimboc
March 11, 2005
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
cant be stresed enough - most ski areas close because of lack of skiers as stated before....almost every year timberline, snowshoe, and others close with plenty of base left on about 1/2 or more of the trails.....remember back in nov and dec when we we were dying to go skiing on anything....get out there and support your local hill!
Roger Z
March 11, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
One thing, Bawalker, that a small ski area in California used to do is rent out their entire ski area to groups after a certain point in the winter. I always thought that'd be a good idea for one or two resorts around here to do- after the first or second weekend of March close to the general public and then run the ski resort on a rental basis to large groups (or groups of groups). Anyplace that has more snow than skiers in March would be a good target (maybe Snowshoe could do that with Silver Creek???), and it'd be a way to run a ski area at lower costs. But you'd need to be consistent every year to be successful.

Not that I want to get anything started here, but with all this snow we've had over the last couple weeks, we haven't heard much from MM and his "early closure" forecasts. Perhaps he's enjoying freshies at 7Springs on 100% of their terrain. Anyway, with another foot of snow falling in Davis I'm kinda wishing I had planned to pass through CV on my way back to school this weekend, kind of give T-line a chance to recover from the thaw in such a way that on Sunday night I'd post a grovelling apology for my earlier rant and then lather praise on the powder capital of the Mid-Altantic, the Snowbird of the Sunbelt, why don't they introduce heliskiing, etc etc. Anyone goin' out there this weekend (CV, not UT)? If so- have a blast!!!
andy
March 11, 2005
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
What about $15 bucks a day for some extreme sledding or tubing on the leftover snow? I do it for free occasionally! 4 inches & counting down here in Boone,NC ski country....the only prob tommorow skiing will be the wind! Only place in the country getting more snow than the mid atl is or will be with this latest storm New Hampshire.The Rockies of the east coast!If one were lucky enough to be skiing in NH this week with all the ski areas for a variety pack & all the snow F-casted....I don't know how to finish that statement..I'm speechless!
SkiBumMSP
March 12, 2005
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

Wintergreen to stay open until Easter, with plenty of snow. Canaan Valley just announced a special Easter Weekend ski and lodging rate. Timberlin and Snowshoe going strong. Visit all the websites, all are offering special deals for late March. ENJOY, VISIT OFTEN...many areas shut down not from a lack of snow, but from a lack of skiers.

Well, I just found out that Massanutten decided to extend thier season.

Only the tube park will be opened from Monday 21 - Thursday 24 from 9 AM to 3 PM.

The skiing will be opened Friday (25), Saturday (26), and Sunday (27 - Easter) for day skiing only (9 am to 4:30 PM)

And I've also heard about Wintergreen as well. Sweet! Another weekend of skiing!
Roger Z
March 13, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Wow... who was it that kept posting that March is a squirrely month and we tend to get a lot of snow this month? Was it Tromano? Good prediction whoever it was!

All those extensions of the season are pretty incredible, given where we were around Jan 15. It helps that we live in an area that's not dependent on 150 inch bases to make it into spring... for that situation, check out the Pac NW and their struggles. Lowest rain/snowfall since 1971 I hear.

On the other hand, New England is getting pulverized with snow. If this keeps up, they'll be skiing until May up there... maybe we should organize a DCSki trip to Tuckerman's this spring?
kwillg6
March 14, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,074 posts
Tuckermans you say..... I could get into Tuckermans you say? Let us know!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?