inexpensive snowshoe weekend
15 posts
6 users
2k+ views
dwhitstanek
January 7, 2003
Member since 01/7/2003 🔗
2 posts
My wife and I are looking to get out of DC for the weekend and were wondering if there were any other lodging possibilities cheaper than staying on the mountain at snowshoe, Maybe 20 mins away or so. With all the snow they have been getting were dying to get out there but would like to try and save some money.
snowcone
January 7, 2003
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
You might try staying in Elkins which is about 40 miles from Snowshoe. There is a pretty basic Econolodge ($60 ish?) and a Travelodge. I understand there is decent lodging in Lewisburg (approx 65 mi.) in the form of B&Bs but they may be a tad on the pricey side.

You might also want to look into the specials at Snowshoe that offer something like $119 person/night lodging and lift at the Inn at the bottom.

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 7, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Cardinal Inn
(304) 335-6149
Route 219
Huttonsville, WV

Huttonsville is 29 miles from Snowshoe. I've stayed at the Cardinal Inn--nice rooms, clean, but you must share a bathroom. Also, when I was there, the owner would not serve breakfast until all guests were up and seated at the dining room table. If you are skiing, skip the breakfast and go directly to the slopes. Breakfast, while certainly decent, is not worth missing out on fresh snow and a good parking space. You can always grab some food at Shaver's if you are hungry.

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 01-08-2003).]

ski_guy_59
January 7, 2003
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
Just checked the cam image for today at the 'Shoe...all I can say is DAAAAAAAAAAAANGGG!!! 11 inches in 24 hours, I'm drooling. If I lived up in DC, I'd cut my job for a day!
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 8, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Here's some more I discovered:

Brazin Head Inn in Mingo, 304-339-6917 seven miles north of Snowshoe on Rt. 219 or The Morning Glory Inn, 304-572-5000, 2 miles south of Snowshoe on Rt. 219.

dwhitstanek
January 8, 2003
Member since 01/7/2003 🔗
2 posts
thanks all for the responses, we will look into those places!

(Anonymous)
January 8, 2003
There is a way to rent on the mountain, actually slopeside for about $100.00 per night! other discounts are available!
call 256-238-1757 or e-mail me at
skihound@cableone.net
(Anonymous)
January 12, 2003
I am headed to Snowshoe for teh first time at the end of the month. I was wondering what the best route from the ellicott city area would be? Mapquest says 70 - 68 - 219 but I have not seen that mentioned in anyones posting. I was thinking 70 to 81 south or capitol beltway to 66 etc. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Matt Z

snowcone
January 12, 2003
589 posts
I posted a reply to your question about 70-68-219 under the Corridor H thread (http://www.dcski.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000239.html)
Its about the best way to go from NE Maryland. If you lived in VA then the 66-Strasburg route makes more sense.

(Anonymous)
January 14, 2003
Snowcone

I did see your reply and realy do appreciate the comment. I was planning to use that route but looking for some affirmation from another reader and thought it would not hurt to post somewhere else. One other question... Is the access to the resort from 219 marked clearly? Also is there a grocery store close by?

Thanks very much for the help.

Matt Z

snowcone
January 14, 2003
589 posts
There is a grocery on the mountaintop but it is very limited and overpriced ... for emergencies only. Try for a Kroeger or IGA in Elkins before you get to Snowshoe. We load up a cooler with perishables at home and throw a few 6-packs in the back of the truck. It's cheaper and you don't run into the horror of the local suds shop not having your favorite brew, dip, chip or whatever.
JoeSoccerFan
January 14, 2003
Member since 12/19/2001 🔗
17 posts
Mattz, just got back from Snowshoe this evening for my first time. Wow - the skiing is great!

Directions. We left Laurel at 0900 on Sunday morning. I took I-66W, I-81S, Route 55W, Route 28-S, Route 66-W, to Snowshoe. It took 4 1/2 hours including 1 gas stop and quick bathroom break. However, I was averaging 80 mph until I got to 55W which is a local road. Think rt 144 (Frederick outside of old town Elicott city or going to Whitetail Route 68 once you're past the McD's). Quite windy - not win-dy; but whine-d. Remember Sunday morning - could not do this on a week-day morning.

Coming home, it has been snowing all day in WV. Not hard but enough to concern me about driving through the mountain passes on 28 and 55. I decide that it would be safer to take the interstate route knowing that it would take more time. So I took 219N, 33W (in Elkins) a 4 lane divided (2 lanes in each direction) - almost interstate-ready, I-79 N, to I-68 E (at Morgantown), to I-70W. It took 6 hours. I drove pretty carefully until I was clear of the snow (after passing Wisp). With good weather, I probably could have done this route in 5 1/4 to 5 1/2 hours. Again, travelling at high rates of speed on the interstates.

I think your determining factor is the following, time of day and day of week when departing, interstate speed preference, driving on small road preference.

Good luck and have fun!

(Anonymous)
January 18, 2003
Thanks to all for the information. I really appreciate it! I will be leaving Friday morning so cutting accross DC to 66 just would not make sense. Sounds like 219 is the way to go. Snowcone do you reccomend the highways that Joe soccer fan used on his way back or 219 straight in from 68?

Thanks again to all. I will post back afterward and let you know how it went. Looks like the snow will be the almost guaranteed with the weather forecast calling for prolonged cold all through next week. Hopefully it won't snow too bad on the way there or back. thanks again

Matt Z

snowcone
January 18, 2003
589 posts
We use 219 and have not had a problem even in light snow. One warning: there are 2 sections that you might end up in the clouds and have very reduced visibility. The road is good and well marked, so go slow and you will have no problems. My significant other is a pilot and gets a real kick out of being in the clouds in a truck!
Joe's route is a good alternative when the weather is rough. Later in this week snow is expected, so this might be the wiser choice, especially if you don't have 4-wheel drive. We have yet to take the 33-79 route, but its there if we need it. On the return trip, you have to make your decision by the time you reach Elkins otherwise you are committed to 219 all the way back to Cumberland.

Have a fun trip ... I'm envious!. We don't get back out there again until the end of February.

(Anonymous)
January 19, 2003
snowcone

Thanks again for the excellent advice. Fortunately I do have 4 wheel drive. We have small children (staying home) and from experience, would not want to take any mountain trip in winter without it.

I don't want to jinx myslef but I am salivating over the expected conditions. This is a rare east coast winter and the forecast looks to stay cold. I was at whitetail this AM and it was the best I have ever seen it. Dry powdery snow . It was just cold enough that the southern exposure was pleasant instead of a melting nuisance although by 11:30 the crowds were ridiculous.

I would have not gone on MLK weekend if I had not promised my 5 year old that I would put her in Ski school for a 1/2 day. Turned out I hit great conditions and with the winter they are having at snowshoe It should be fantastic.

Thanks again for all the good advice. I'll let you know how it went

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.