Snowboarding in the DC Area - PLEASE HELP!
3 posts
3 users
1k+ views
Andrew
January 6, 2003
Member since 01/6/2003 🔗
5 posts
Snowshoe!!

www.snowshoemtn.com

(Anonymous)
January 7, 2003
Hi All

In need of some urgent help here - my name is Ben, and I live in London - I am an avid boarder, and usually go to the Alps. I am on business in the DC area in January, and have some free time over the MLK holiday weekend. I really need help deciding where to go boarding for a couple of days - where within 3-4 hours drive is the best resort to hit? Where has the longest/steepest slopes and best snow?

Would really appreciate any feedback anyone has! Thanks very much - please feel free to mail me on ben.rogers@nopworld.com

Thanks!!!!!!

Ben

PhysicsMan
January 7, 2003
Member since 11/20/2001 🔗
218 posts
Humm ... I don't think I would agree with Snowshoe as THE place to go on MLK weekend within 3-4 hrs of DC.

FWIW, in my experience, it takes more like 5 hrs to get there from DC (and "snowcone" in http://www.dcski.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000239.html seems to agree).

Second, as the first major destination resort most people from further south hit on their way up north, its likely to be absolutely packed with people that weekend.

Personally, if I had to pick a place, I would go for a more modest, non-destination resort that is up north, surrounded by other local ski hills, and not as well known and attractive to the hoards of skiers that will be traveling.

Although these two are also outside of his 3-4 time limits, I've had very good luck with the crowds at places like Elk (PA) and Bristol (NYS) on such holiday weekends.

Total vert, # of slopes, # of lifts, etc. mean nothing if you have a 15 min wait for each ride up the hill.

Tom / PM

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.