Cross Country Skiing in Cose-In DC
6 posts
4 users
4k+ views
(Anonymous)
January 5, 2003
Does anyone have any suggestions for areas to cross country ski in the DC area itself when there is enough snow (as there is today Jan. 5). If one is not up for the drive to Canaan Valley and White Grass Touring Center in WV, where have folks found good cross-country skiing in DC area istelf, within and around the Beltway? parts of Rock Creek park? other Northern VA parks?
ski_guy_59
January 6, 2003
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
It'd be pretty cool on the lawn of the white house, but I think the SS would frown on that thought. Maybe someone could visit the Capitol and provide us with a shot like the one in the DCSki Yearbook?!
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 6, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
If I had today off, I'd head for the hiking trails in Rock Creek Park above Broad Branch road. Some of them are steep (use metal edged skis if you have them), but should hold snow fairly well. Also, there's a golf course in the Rock Creek Park if you want flatter terrain:

http://www.nps.gov/rocr/ppmaps/rocrmap%2Epdf

PS A good place to park is the lot just above military road.

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 01-06-2003).]

lindylou99
January 16, 2003
Member since 01/16/2003 🔗
2 posts
Fairfax County Parks and Rec has a list of county parks in which there are trails for skiing. I've never been, though, so can't give you a firsthand report.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 17, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
My boss's wife skis those trails whenever there is snow and she loves them. Also, some of the Golf Courses in Fairfax County allow freeheelers. Call ahead.

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 01-17-2003).]

(Anonymous)
January 17, 2003
My favorite in Rock Creek has always been to start up around the stables -- behind them is steep and interesting, and you see no one. Over around the corral near there is good too, and that road is always closed when there's snow. You can start at the top (at Military) or at the bottom (near Pierce Mill). There are loads of places and trails and roads to ski between those two areas

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.