Fantastic Restaurant in Moorefield, WV
3 posts
3 users
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 27, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
On the way to Canaan this past Friday my wife planned on stopping in Moorefield for diner. Alas, our usual great food spot, The Cottage, has been sold and was closed. HOWEVER, we did findd a fantastic restaurant - "1853 Restaurant" with a 3 Star AAA rating...should have been higher. This place, a little more than a year old, is in a B&B at the Meechem House on Main Street, about a block or so from where the stop light for Rt55 is in the center of town (if heading to the ski areas-Canaan, Timberline, Snowshoe- you will need to turn right on Main. I had the finest crabcakes I have ever had, one of the Chefs is from Baltimore; and my wife's pork loin was great. Prices are reasonable, service superb, food unbelievable! I'll post more later, just wanted to let all know about this great find!!!!!
The Colonel
kennedy
February 28, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Thanks for the tip. I will try it next time I'm going through. Yesterday I made a pit stop at Colt's again. It's pretty straightforward no frills fare but it is excellent and pretty cheap. Moorefield is a nice place to stop for me just because it's pretty much exactly halfway between DC and SS. Going to SS, Colts is on the left just after the BP station on Rte55. If you cross the railroad tracks and pass the factory on the right you have gone too far.
bawalker
February 28, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
If anyone gets a chance, check out the Harvest Grill there on mainstreet in Moorefield. One of my customers owns it and it's amazingly good when it comes to food.

Just a few other eating tips:

- The KaKapon restraunt in Wardensville is under new ownership and after people had complained about the food... that seems to be fixed now by the new management having better food.

- The Mountaineer Restraunt in Wardensville seems to be focusing on better foods recently, rather than just greasy pizza, although it's still far from a great restraunt like the Harvest Grill, it's great for a quick stop when going from DC to TLine.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.