SNOW!!!
10 posts
5 users
1k+ views
Roger Z
February 27, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Just thought y'all would like to know that the snow started somewhere around nine p.m. here in Blacksburg. By 9:30 it was coming down steadily and right now the flakes are just the right size and the snow is coming down hard enough that this looks like the REAL THING. I was out this afternoon doing errands and the air was very heavy with moisture.

Oh, and an extremely important note: they were calling for this storm to begin as rain here in B-burg. IT DID NOT START AS RAIN. This is probably the first time all winter they have come up short on the snowfall predictor. Hopefully that will set a trend for the rest of the storm!

10:00 p.m. and it's pretty much pukin' down here. If this keeps up we'll have 6-10 inches by morning, and if this is indicative of what will happen in the mountains it's going to be a glorious week of skiing!!!
Snowmakers
February 27, 2005
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
Yeah. It never rained or mixed here either. Thats another .10" of liquid that will translate into an extra inch or two. 8-14" for me ! Already a trace on the ground here and it started snowing only 30 min ago. Right now id say a good moderate snow. Supposed to have heavy snow (less than .4 mi vis. and at least an inch an hour).
Woohoo!
Snowmakers
February 28, 2005
222 posts
I just thought id put out my final forecast. Keep in ming im just an ameteur but I have a very strong confidence in this map.

Ill say 6-12" for the dc area. Totals will go up as you go south and west of the DC area. Although its not on my map because they are so localized, I think snowshoe, CV, Timberline, winterplace, wisp, and 7 springs could be the area big winners with as much as 20".
TerpSKI
February 28, 2005
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
0" in DC so far. Jinx city folks
Roger Z
February 28, 2005
2,181 posts
Looks like we're under six inches right now, but they've changed the forecast again and are calling for snow all day, snow tonight, and accumulating snowshowers tomorrow. If that happens, count Blacksburg in for 10 inches all told- more than doubling our total snowfall for the winter (and bringing us very close to our annual average of 20-25 inches).
bawalker
February 28, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
So far about 1-2" in Wardensville and it's coming down hard. Visibility is at about a mile. Once we break the 4" mark then I'll be a believer in this storm. lol Amazing thing is, this snow is actually sticking to the roads rather then melting like last weeks one.
Snowmakers
February 28, 2005
222 posts
6" here as of 10am. another 6-10" today, 1-3" tonight, and 1-3" more tomorrow. Im in powder heaven. Its possible for me to get 20"!! Thunder-snow in the forecast for a few hours today. When there is thundersnow, we get at least 2" an hour!.
queenoftheslopes
February 28, 2005
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
Looks like DC will only get about 4 inches. Darn. I was getting my hopes up for 12+ inches, and planning how to spend my days off due to Federal Gov't closing. (My office follows the Fed).
bawalker
February 28, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
12:15pm: 3" of powder so far. I'm located 3 miles north of Wardensville.
Roger Z
February 28, 2005
2,181 posts
Here's the NWS forecast for Tucker County, WV, where the future is at this moment looking very, very white :

"AS THE UPPER LOW SHIFTS JUST NORTH AND EAST OF THE AREA MONDAY
EVENING...IT WILL BECOME NEARLY STATIONARY THROUGH THE DAY TUESDAY.
THIS WILL BRING MUCH COLDER AIR WITH GOOD WRAPAROUND SNOWS MONDAY
NIGHT AND TUESDAY. THE TOTAL STORM ACCUMULATION BY
TUESDAY AFTERNOON IS EXPECTED TO RANGE BETWEEN 8 TO 14 INCHES...WITH
AMOUNTS APPROACHING TWO FEET ABOVE 3500 FEET."
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?