Whitetail; Are you listening?
12 posts
8 users
1k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 27, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
If so, and if we get the big storm totals that are being predicted, please please leave something ungroomed. Maybe Far Side, maybe one of the blues off the high speed quad. Maybe one of each. It is so rare that we get to ski deep powder here in the mid-Atlantic. I would be forever grateful, and I know there are others.
kennedy
February 27, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
That and maybe a little extra manufactured snow just to bulk up the total. Knee deep pow at WT now that would be newsworthy.
tomimcmillar
February 28, 2005
Member since 11/21/2004 🔗
129 posts
Denis,

When are you planning to be there?
Outside shot I'll get off work Tuesday, might run down.

Otherwise, I'm figuring either Monday or Tuesday eve at Roundtop.
Leave for Tahoe on Friday, so only one session in order to rest up.

peace out.
T
JohnL
February 28, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
When has Whitetail groomed during recent snow events?

Last time I was there during/after a dump was the Tuesday of the '03 Presidents' Day storm (day after the storm.) All three trails off the Expert's Choice lift were ungroomed.

It would be nice to leave at least one blue trail ungroomed 1-2 days after a storm to give intermediates some practice in ungroomed conditions.
VolklYokel
February 28, 2005
Member since 02/20/2005 🔗
14 posts
Roundtop left Ramrod and Gunpowder ungroomed on Friday, after the 4-5 inches that fell the day/night before. It was fun (for a while)! Hope they'll do the same tomorrow!
Chad
March 1, 2005
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
well whitetail left farside ungroomed. but for some reason they they did groom that un-lit run on the front (fanciful, i think)? what is that!? i was there on monday and when we left at 6pm the snow was coming down like crazy. with no lights on that run it had to have been buried by this morning.
JohnL
March 1, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Day after the storm (6-8" per Whitetail's website) and they've groomed all the blues and Drop In and Bold Decision. They should have sent the groomers home earlier than they did last night.

At least I don't feel as bad not being able to take today off.
warren
March 1, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
John,
I think the problem is that in this area, the expectations of a large part of the crowd is to see groomers. I know at Brighton, if they groomed everything after a big dump, there'd be a riot! I guess Mid-Atlantic vs West Coast. I remember skiing at Snowshoe quite a few years back when it was dumping snow all day long (about 18" while we were skiing). All of the trails had at least calf deep and some places were almost knee deep. Most of the people I heard or talked to were complaining that there was too much snow Meanwhile, my friend and I were having an absolute blast We came out the next morning and found they'd groomed everything tree-line to tree-line

-Warren-
therusty
March 1, 2005
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Denis,

I was there Friday morning. Exhibition was left ungroomed. Although they had labeled Bold and Drop In as groomed, they did have some untracked on them, just not the full 7-10 depth. Bold had man made added in. Unfortunately that made Bold kind of tricky when there were no tracks in it. Fortunately, once it got cut up, it was quite nice. Far side was groomed too, but it was in "Deer Valley" shape.

The ungroomed request makes me chuckle with respect to past big snows. I can't tell you how many guests complain when the blue trails are left ungroomed after a big snow. It's a lot and they complain very loudly.

BTW - I've done knee deep down Snowdancer (92) and waist deep down Bold (96)
warren
March 1, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Rusty,
You luck some-of-a-gun. So you were there for the Blizzard of '96... I was home with a sick 1 month old at that time. Of couse, now she shreds up the slopes with me

-Warren-
tomimcmillar
March 1, 2005
Member since 11/21/2004 🔗
129 posts
Got up to Roundtop this morning.

They left Gunbarrel, Ramrod and Barret's ungroomed.
Got to lay first tracks down both the Ramrod and Gunbarrel headwalls.

Of course, things got hit pretty hard last night, so it wasn't virginal fields of pow, but was sweet nonetheless. And of course, was able to find some tight stashes of soft pretty much untouched fluff if you knew where to look. Deepest shots were off the base of the Gunbarrel headwall, probably sees the least amount of traffic on the hill.

By lunchtime, Ramrod had some big piles of crud building up which made it interesting, and the bumps on Gunbarrel became a bit taxing. The Leap held nice shots pretty much the whole time I was there, 'til 1ish. Race course side of Exhibition was a sweet groomer also, laying trenches and using the whole trail, big fast turns, more shit eating grins....

No complaints here.
therusty
March 2, 2005
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Warren,
I earned those turns. It took 45 minutes to hike up to the top of Bold and another 1/2 hour to hike up Drop In to get back to the lodge. On the next day we had to hike to K lift and spend 2 1/2 hours hand shoveling the loading zone from 3 feet of solid ice down to 2". Before we started, it was cool watching a groomer go through the lift to take the top layer of soft snow off.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.