February 22, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
warren
February 22, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Denis,
I was there as well. I skied Canaan on Saturday and T-Line on Sunday. The conditions were good those days I thought that both Gravity (ungroomed and snow-whales this year) and OTW were great. Some really cool features had formed and gave lots of opportunities for air-time I did get to briefly say hi to Jimmy on Sunday in the T-Line lodge but didn't see anyone else. Given the tough weather this season, I was pleased with what both Canaan and T-Line had going (including being able to run Glade-Runner and some other glades not on the map ) Now, if only we hadn't been washed out Sunday pm/Monday am. I had planned to ski 1/2 the day yesterday but when we got up, it was warm and raining. Instead, we just headed home to near 60 degree weather

-Warren-
JohnL
February 22, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

snow is so
scarce we know the name of every flake

Nice line by Chip!

Warren, what was the cover like in the T-Line trees? Firm base?
warren
February 22, 2005
485 posts
John,
I ran Glade Runner and some Inviting trees off of either Almost Heaven or Dew Drop. Surprisingly enough, the cover wasn't too bad. You really had to be careful about scoping out the line in order to avoid some big rocks and stumps but there were several good lines. The snow was not hard-pack at all. It had a slight crust on it but was pretty forgiving

-Warren-
jimmy
February 22, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Denis, Sounds like you found what you were looking for at Canaan. Those pics from WG are kinda depressing though. Take care of that ankle.

Warren: Good to meet you, even if only briefly. I pouted around the house Monday til about 9:30, then pulled out the "wet suit" and headed over to TL. Hooked up with a telemarker name of Greg for a run down each and it was kind of pleasant. VERY foggy at the top, made for some interesting turns until we got below it. Have you ever tried to match turns with a free heeler? It was my first time and it was, for me, a bit of a challenge.

jimmy
Wanted to add, Monday as I followed greg down OTW, he stopped after starting down the steep, turned around and says "this looks like Dr. Suess."
canaanman
February 22, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
OTW was pretty icy this weekend... I really wish they'd turn the snowguns on atleast one day during the week or right before the weekends to let a little bit of softer snow patch up the bumps.
Glenn_C
February 22, 2005
Member since 11/14/2004 🔗
67 posts
I spent both Saturday and Sunday at Canaan Resort and I must say in all honesty after 14 days of skiing this season, those two days were the absolute best conditions I've seen on the slopes. Saturday was single digit brisk when we first hit the hills and the base was firm and crusty with 3 or 4 inches of groomed powder. Turns came easy with a fresh base wax and the crowds were surprisingly minimal given the holiday weekend. I had planned on bugging out and heading back to the condo by 1:30 or so when the buses started rolling in as I usually do and coming back for night skiing but with both lifts running on the blue/black side, I never spent more than 3 minutes in line.
I skied from open till about 5:00. I started out running Valley Vista to get the legs warm...

and moved on to upper canaan curve and the chute...

The conditions were beautiful...it was cold enough to keep the powder feeling like Talc and the base was firm enough to give good solid ground for carves---too sweet! i moved on to the Upper Spruce Run and the terrain park....

The warning sign at the head of the terrain park scared off the green skiiers and the park was still showing an incredible amount of corduroy at 12:00!!! You can see from the picture above that those rails and pipes weren't packed with people by any stretch of the imagination. That's one of the things I love about CVR....not quite the steeps of TL but not near the crowds of TL either.
I was running Gravity by afternoon and though the upper lip at the first drop was pretty glazed, the whale backs at the base more than made up for the edging battle at the top.
Sunday was more of the same though the crowds were twice as large. Still, with both lifts running on the blue/black side, not more than a 3-5 minute wait on either lift. I went to meet my youngest son mid-day over at the green slopes and the lines were horrendous. I ended up talking my 11 year old into trying the blues and by the end of the day he had run vista many times over and took two shots at the face with no falls. I don't expect we'll have to wrestle with the green lines anymore this season.
All in all an awesome weekend!!! Supposed to get three days of flurries this week in CV. I'm hoping it puts a little cover on the glazed pack that Monday's rain produced but who knows. I'll head up Friday night and pull both days again. Not sure what the weather will bring but even the worst conditions on the slopes is still better than the best weather doing chores at home. Life's good!!!
warren
February 23, 2005
485 posts
Jimmy,
Yeah, sorry it was so brief. My daughter had just headed upstairs and my wife was in the food line and needed me to come down to her to help with the trays. I didn't mean to come of rude if I did Anyway, maybe I can talk my wife into one last trip there (I have already have both Utah and Whistler coming up ) I like the doctor Suess analogy That pretty much sums up OTW.

-Warren-
jimmy
February 23, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Rude? Not at all, that place can be a zoo at dinner time! It was nice to put a face to a dcski-name. Looks like we'll just miss each other in Utah, I arrive 3/7. Plan to make it to TL for Snowy Luau. That orange helmet you wear would look pretty good w/ a hawaiiaann shirt.

jimmy
warren
February 23, 2005
485 posts
Jimmy,
Hey, I'll have to keep that in mind I even have a hawaiian shirt!

-Warren-
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 23, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Saw a great helmet sticker on one of my boy scouts.

Used all my sick days, need to call in dead and go skiing.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.