Transportation from D.C. to ski areas?
4 posts
4 users
Scott - DCSki Editor
February 15, 2005
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Hello,

I just received a question via e-mail from someone who will be visiting Washington, D.C. from Singapore early next week. He will not have a car and is wondering if there's any options for getting to the slopes (e.g., a bus). I said I would pass the question onto the DCSki Message Forum to see if anyone knew of any options. (As far as I know, there's no regular transportation between D.C. and the local resorts, although I know that's something folks have asked for in the past.)

Thanks,

- Scott
therusty
February 16, 2005
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Scott,
I don't know of any regular bus service. Even if there was, a rental car would probably be cheaper. However, if you have the date(s) for when they want to ski and where they will be in DC, maybe they can hook up with a private bus trip or one of the forum members can give them a lift?
Glenn_C
February 16, 2005
Member since 11/14/2004 🔗
67 posts
Scott,
No established bus service but if you check out some of the local clubs they've always got some day trips running. The Ski Club of Washington is running some WISP & Roundtop overnighters this month as well as $60 day trips to Whitetail. Check out the calendar web page. I'm sure you can find some similar offerings at some other local clubs. I'm a DoD guy and our local ITT is offering a beginner's Whitetail dayski trip which includes roundtrip bus, lift tickets, rentals and group lesson for $60! You can't beat that with a stick.
The Snow Searchers ski club (NRL folks mostly but open to all) has a great trip to Seven Spring planned for 2/25 and Blue Knob for 3/3. Again you can see their schedule and contact info here. There are actually about 9 ski clubs locally with tons of day trips available. It just means a few phone calls and/or e-mails to nail the right one down for your friend. Good luck!
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 16, 2005
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
One interesting and also relaxing way is Amtrak. One can take the train to White Sulphur Springs. I believe that Snowshoe can arrange for transport from WSP to the mountain if reservations are included.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.