6 posts
3 users
2k+ views
polski
February 12, 2005
Member since 02/12/2005 🔗
3 posts
Hi all! Some info about me:
I'm a 6'1", 210 lbs skier that likes to ski aggressively (fast) with short turns, mainly on piste sometimes encountering crud. I would classify myself as a lower advanced skier. I'm 61 years old, athletic, but don't want to be beat up by the ski(can't rebound as well as I used to). My question ---- I've been considering 3 skis, Elan S12 (can get for $619 w/binding ---40% off list), Fischer RX8 ($585 w/binding 40% off), & Volkl 5* ($535 w/binding 50% off). Can anyone make any recommendations? If you were in my position, which would you tend to buy?
Thanks!
Roy
February 13, 2005
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Welcome Polski. Of those 3, I have only skied the Volkl 5*. I skied it for one run so I didn't have to time to learn to ski it. However, I know there are many ski instructors that have it (and love it) and I have recently skied with some others that have skied it and love it.

The Fischer's have gotten some great write ups. There is one instructor I work with who recently bought a pair and likes them alot. I have no idea on the Elan's.

Sorry this is not more definitive. If I were to buy, I would probably demo the Volkl and Fischer and then decide.
tromano
February 13, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Hi,

You ahve some nice skis picked out there. What are you on now? How do you like them?

I own the 5* T50 (2 year old model) so I am sort of biased. The skis rip. 168cm is the length for short turns and speed BTW. However thay aren't forgiving and have a ton of energy and rebound. And the stiff flex can be a bit much in some of the icier moguls we get here now and then. I love these skis for everythign else, including, crud, less than 8" soft snow, and icy groomers. I skied them on the rutted up nastar track on exhibition today after their practice. These skis are awesome on ice. I was flying down there just carving it up in whatever shape turn I wanted and was having a great time. The 5*s take everythign you put into them and give it right back to you. If you take an edge and stay centered the skis are totally stable in variable conditions.

I think the RX8 is less stiff (in the tip to tail flex) than the 5* and maybe easier to handle. Also, check out the Elan S10 as it is a slightly softer version of the S12 (1 metal sheet instead of 2 i think). That may be better for you.

If it were me, I would demo all 3 (or 4) and then make my choice. You need to get the right length as well. All things being equal buy the 5* and take an extra private lesson with your savings.
polski
February 13, 2005
3 posts
Quote:

Hi,

"What are you on now? How do you like them?"
I'm skiing Rossi Vipers 174cm (the longest that they made in this super slalom ski). I've really enjoyed their quickness, grip on ice, and their short turning ability. I found them lacking in stability at very high speed (had to reel back my speed at times) and in crud (got knocked around a little). I'd like my new pair to compliment my Vipers (I'm going to keep them) and address the 2 problems.
____________________________________________________________-

"I own the 5* T50 (2 year old model) so I am sort of biased. The skis rip. 168cm is the length for short turns and speed"

I'm wondering how this year's 5* compares with yours? From what I've read, I think yours may be may be closer to ths year's 6*. This year's 5*'s are a little softer and more forgiving, I believe.

I don't know what you height and weight you are, but I was thinking of a length of about 175 for each of the skis I'm considering. In fact I emailed Elan and they recommended the 168 or 176 cm S12 (over the S10) depending on the type of skiing I preferred. Even though I like short turns, I want something a little more stable than my Vipers so I'm thinking 176. I've also emailed Volkl and Fischer about length, but no reply yet. I know that all 3 of the "new" skis are wider at shovel, rear, and waist than my Vipers. That probably should be a consideration when trying to compare the length of the Vipers to the others. I would be interested in your take (or anyone else knowledgeable) as to the best length for me based on what I've said.
tromano
February 14, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
I weigh ~190-200 Lbs and am about 5'10" tall. I love my t50s. The T50 are supposed to be a little stiffer than the new 5*s according to others I have talked to. In 2003 there were no 6*s only the t50s so what you say might be pretty close to the truth. Each season there have been a serries of incremental changes and tweaks, as happen with all skis. But I am sure they are substantially the same skis. This year has "double grip" on the 5* last season only the 6* had that feature.

I can only reiterate that 168cm is the length for greater turn versatility. Other reviews I have read of the 168s and 175s say the same thing. Many reviewers say that 175 length is geared much more towards long turns. The consensus seems to be that if you don't like the stability at speed of the 5* then go to the 6* (which is stiffer). If you want long turns the 6* at 175 or the superspeed also at 175 seem to be better options.

I don't know much abotu the Rossi Vipers but I suspect that they are designed more for a lighter weight skier and this may explain your current problems with them at speed. Any of the skis you are looking at fall into the high perfromance carver category. All are very beefy and capable and will be great at speed, over ice, and in light crud for someone your size. In general these will be more of an upgrade / replacement rather than a complement to your existing rossi Vipers. The crud sking is usally pretty good on these sorts of skis however it is geared more toward the duck and dodge method of carving through light crud and avoiding heavy stuff. A wider ski with a stiff forebody will be more suited for plowing through / floating over the deeper really soft and heavy stuff in a more direct fashion.

Go to Epic for more info. They have a ton of gear geeks there to answer your questions. There are also a ton of posts to search through in the history of that forum on this and simmilar issues.
polski
February 14, 2005
3 posts
Thanks for your insight, tromano. If the 168 cm differs from the 175 cm mainly in turn radius, and, has little to do with stability, the shorter length is probably right for me.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.