Snowshoe Powder Question- need help
11 posts
8 users
1k+ views
Roger Z
February 9, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Ok, let's say it's a midweek day. You've just arrived at Snowshoe and eight inches of snow has fallen the night before. Where's the best place to hit the pow that morning- Western Territory, Snowshoe Basin, or Silver Creek? Thought I'd heard on this board that Silver Creek was the place to be, but just want to check. Any opinions on this? Quick responses would be greatly appreciated!
Philip
February 9, 2005
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
26 posts
Hmmm tough question, kind of like asking which supermodel would you date?

Since Western Territory doesn't open till 10 or so, I'd ski the basin, namely: widowmaker, grabhook, and maybe one or two more runs and then race over the Western Territory. Leave Silver Creek alone. I only go there at night.
kwillg6
February 9, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
When I was an instructor there we woulod head to the creek. Fewer people means more fresh.
kwillg6
February 9, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Generally any powder on the basin side becomes cut up crud in very short order, especially after ski school's 8:30 line up. And they tend to groom a lot of it out before the paying public gets out.
JR
February 9, 2005
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
Western Territory usually opens at 9 am with the rest of the resort unless its windy or temps gave them a late start grooming the previous night. Definitely hit Cupp and Shay first. Especially since all the terrible wedges will be out scraping it off by 11 or 12 you gotta get it there when you can. Remember, if you're good enough to stay near the trees confidently on Cupp you'll be in powder heaven for most of the day since all the bad skiers/boarders stay in the middle. I was there one mid week powder day with about 8 - 10 inches and boarded the powder on the side almost all day. It seemed like it only got better as the day went on as people would scrape more freshies from the center over to my stash. Really nice of them.

The Flying Eagle chair is closed mid week now so don't bother over there. Terrible really since Bear Claw and Eagle are AWESOME in powder. If you ever get a chance to hit them on powder days DO IT. Weave around to the outside of the patches of trees in the middle of Eagle and you'll find powder stashes for days.

The basin isn't that bad really. When I've been there during powder Skip Jack, Grabhammer, Knott Bumper (my favorite), Choker, and any moguls on the side of Ballhooter will be untracked for a good while. Also, Widowmaker is wide enough that you can usually take to the side and find powder for a good while. Try J-Hook too, not many people try it so its typically untracked.
JohnL
February 9, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

Quick responses would be greatly appreciated!

Hypothetical question or last-second plan?
Roger Z
February 9, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Quote:

Hypothetical question or last-second plan?

Around here, EVERY ski trip is a last-second plan.
canaanman
February 9, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Duck the ropes with Patrol and "open" the Western Territory.

Connections are good.
kennedy
February 10, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
OOoohhh canaanman you crafty dog. Snakeing the fresh with the patrol you evil genius. Man my back is still killing me from my bail on cupp last weekend, I guess it's time to visit the quack.
MadMonk
February 11, 2005
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
If it is truly midweek (like a Wed) you can probably get freshies for a few runs on the basin side before the Western Territory opens. Ski several runs there, and then head to Silvercreek, where you still might get first tracks, though I believe the best run (Bear Claw) is closed mid-week.
canaanman
February 12, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
I think they open Bear Claw if there's fresh to be skied.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.