Snowshoe 2-5-05
9 posts
6 users
1k+ views
kennedy
February 7, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Just got back from SS last night. I'll make this quick just as an update for anyone going up soon. Right now the condiditons are great. Good coverage everywhere, the warm weather has soften the snow base which makes it fun to ride but it did get icy in spots in the afternoon as the sun went down and all the top snow got scraped off. The lift lines Saturday at the basin side were as expected, long. Silver Creek was much quiter and in great shape. The parks in good shape but the Spruce Glades park has received most of the attention in the hits department. Mountaineer still has some but it's mostly rails. The pipe was the best I've ever ridden. Sofft but not excessively so. I understand they are cutting it three times a week. Weather was pretty hot during the day. I was wearing 5000mm pants and jacket with only a breathable membrane and t shirt underneath and I was still warm.

Downside I had a horrible wreck on Lower Cupp.I was coming into the flat catwalk section into that up hill. I was moving at a good clip trying to keep up my speed for the uphill. A skiier in front was cutting turn rather than keeping his line tight through the narrow section and despite shouting on your right repeatedly he kept doing it. I hit the brakes hard toeside but ended up somehow catching a heeledge and flipped landing first on my hip then hard on the back of my head (Pro Tec helmets rock BTW) I was in agony for at least 5 to 10 minutes before I had the strength to pick my self up and ride to the lift. I had scooted myself off the trail to the edge and packed loose snow around my hip to try to numb the pain. I'm still very sore today. So as a note to everyone riding or skiing Cupp please keep your lines tight through the narrow sections.

Other than that I had a fantastic weekend.
kennedy
February 7, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Oh just another tidbit of info. If you are on the way up or back and want some good food cheap it is an absolute must to stop in at Colts in Moorefield and order the Chuckwagon. $5.50 gets you a side salad, a country fried steak type dish with your choice of side including fries, onion rings, mashed potato etc. and a choice of tea coffee or lemonade. It's on the west end of the town. If you reach the outskirts of town where the big industrial park is you have gone too far. The building is kind of hard to spot, it has a timber facade with bay windows. Everything there is cheap and service is great.
TOMF
February 7, 2005
Member since 11/17/2003 🔗
60 posts
Thanks for the report. Sorry about your accident on lower Cupp. I always worry about that narrow catwalk section of the trail. I'm surprised I haven't had an accident there just like yours. This is another argument for SS to cut a blue trail off to the right of Cupp as you look down. That would allow some skiers on Cupp to bail out onto the blue trail before hitting the steep face of lower Cupp and the catwalk that follows.

Tom
snowcone
February 7, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Thanks kennedy for the onsite;

We are heading out this coming Sunday the 13th for 4 days of mid-week skiing .. couldn't get weekend booking cause there aren't any anywhere on the mountain. It should be pretty quiet before the PresDay weekend madhouse and with some snow due later this week plus the distinct possibility of a BIG DOG storm the 15th-16th we should be in good shape! Here's hoping we get lucky and the storm is a big as predicted and doesn't get wasted on Boston, NYC! And then if we get 'trapped' at SS because of the roads ... well, oh darn ... it won't be the 1st time! I'm putting in extra supplies for the pet sitter .. just in case.
kennedy
February 7, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I'm heading back up end of the month so hopefully that storm will keep the conditions primo for that trip. Trust me on Colts though that place is awesome.
canaanman
February 7, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Me, my brother, and a friend were up there Saturday, mostly in the afternoon in the park. Gotta throw down at some point in the season. I'll get some stills or even videos up soon. Great park... met some really really good riders as well. Those upper rails were really wack, they just aren't set-up right. The four in the garden flow extremely well.

Oh, and always ride Grabhammer back up the hill... no lines
warren
February 8, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Kennedy,
I know what you mean about that catwalk section. For some reason, people seem to be convinced that they have to traverse there I've had to make many quick moves including dropping off the right side to avoid some idiot traversing right in front of me! The last time I was there, I saw a kid wipe out (not too hard) and then then rest of the folks with him went his way, tried to stop in front of him and then they all proceeded to pile on each other I shot over as far away from the madness as I could! (oh wait, shouldn't this be on the stoopid things thread )

-Warren-
rmcva
February 27, 2005
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
Kennedy - thanks for the suggestion about Colts in Moorefield. I've been driving this route for years and never stopped until today. Good recommendation! Thanks.
TOMF
February 28, 2005
Member since 11/17/2003 🔗
60 posts
It was nice meeting you at Silver Creek on Saturday. I agree with your recommendation of Colts Reataurant. My son and I especially like the air hockey game in the back room. We play while waiting for our orders to arrive.

Tom

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?