Some great pix on the linked site.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
February 7, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Quote:

Some great pix on the linked site.

John,

Let's face it: your destiny is a freeheel. This is the only sport that will truly satisfy your yen for the backcountry and trees.

As for me, I'm lazy, so I'll stick with Alpine and will occasionally play on plain vanilla Nordic skis but you need to convert to tele skiing.
wgo
February 7, 2005
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
I was at Whitegrass this saturday and I gotta tell ya, first time on cross-country skis, kinda humbling. And having to look around at all the backcountry stuff right at my fingertips, and not being able to access it - arrggh! The pain!

Really, though, it was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to improving after all those years on alpine skis. Best of all, my wife, who did not enjoy her only previous trip to the region (to ski timberline), had a blast and is already making plans for us to return in a couple weeks.
JohnL
February 7, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
John,

There are definitely some tele turns in my future, but I'm having way too much fun with alpine to try anything else right now. With alpine equipment changing rapidly, it's almost as if it's a new sport each year. Got my first set of twin tips, so I've got some experimenting to do.

Besides, I've heard that chairlift rides can be a lot of fun. I only thought that was reserved for trams. And helicopters.
tomimcmillar
February 8, 2005
Member since 11/21/2004 🔗
129 posts
Quote:

Really, though, it was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to improving after all those years on alpine skis. Best of all, my wife, who did not enjoy her only previous trip to the region (to ski timberline), had a blast and is already making plans for us to return in a couple weeks.

That's great to hear. WhiteGrass will have that effect on people.

My buddy Marty has posted his pics today:

More WG pics

First page has pics from the Sods tour, finishing with the shots of the Nat'l Nord pipeline in the background. Then there's some shots from the Breakfast Bowl and the final run off the top of Roundtop. The weather was ok.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.