Where to ski December 1?
7 posts
4 users
1k+ views
(Anonymous)
November 23, 2002
I am looking for somwhere to ski on Sunday December 1, all I have time for is a day trip from DC. Just need a little bit of easy/moderate terrain to start getting my leg muscles in shape for telemarking. Any word on the opening date of Wisp, Ski Liberty or Whitetail? Seems like they will have enough cold weather over the next week to make snow.
Scott - DCSki Editor
November 23, 2002
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
I believe Wisp has started making snow, and is planning on opening Nov. 30, but that date could change. They received some natural snow so that will help things. I'd guess there's a very good chance they'll at least have some beginner terrain ready Dec. 1.

Roundtop, Whitetail, and Liberty are preparing to make snow but haven't started yet. Looks like there will be good snowmaking temperatures (at least at night) starting around Tuesday night. They haven't estimated an opening date yet, but I'm not sure I'd count on them being open by Dec. 1 -- maybe shortly after that.

Seven Springs is also making snow right now, and is hoping to open within the next week, so that's another possibility.

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
November 24, 2002
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Hey Mitch:

I think your best bet is Seven Springs. However, I'd wait until the absolute last minute before making a decision. If you look at the forecast, Whitetail/Liberty should get some good snowmaking weather, starting Tuesday. I've always been surprised at how fast Whitetail and Liberty mountain operations can make snow.

finsoutoc
November 25, 2002
Member since 09/30/2003 🔗
172 posts
i'll be really surprised if roundtop, liberty or WT make snow this week. i was up at RT on Saturday adn they don't ahve the hoses out yet. that tells me they arent thinking about it.
(Anonymous)
November 26, 2002
looks like both Wisp and Seven Springs will be open by Friday, Nov. 29th. Ski Liberty and Whitetail generally wait till early DEC to evaluate if snowmaking operationws should start.

Also, both 7Springs and Wisp lie far enough west -"in the mid-Atlantic snowbelt" that they should also have some natural snow in the ground, which will make for a more "winter wonderland" setting, and not just "white strips" of snow thru otherwise bare ground. They have received snow last Friday, Friday night, and may receive more natural snowfall tuesday eve into Wednesday.

Stay tuned...

(Anonymous)
November 26, 2002
Looks like Liberty, Roundtop, and Whitetail are all going to begin snowmaking this week. All three of their websites say they anticipate snowmaking weather following the natural snow tonight.

finsoutoc
November 26, 2002
Member since 09/30/2003 🔗
172 posts
yeah. i stand corrected, but don't get too excited. they probably won't open this weekend. of the three, rt has the best chance being further north.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?