Lower Shays was EXCELLENT!!
7 posts
5 users
1k+ views
Philip
February 2, 2005
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
26 posts
Just got back from the SHOE and Lower Shays was better than I've ever seen it. They must have made 12 inches in the last couple of days on that run. I hit it Tuesday morning and it was better than any run I've EVER done at any eastern ski resort. That was some great powder.
JR
February 2, 2005
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
Great to hear it. Were there moguls already or were they grooming it every morning after making new snow? I've always wondered what it would be like on opening day. Being able to start some of those HUGE moguls yourself would be sweet. I'd probably be the guy that started that terrible section in the middle that is absolutely unskiable though
MadMonk
February 2, 2005
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
I was so bummed it wasn't open last Saturday. I'd love to ski it once w/out moguls. Otherwise the only time I ski it is after a decent fresh snowfall (at least 4 inches) as I'm no fan of huge ICY moguls.
skier219
February 2, 2005
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I think they are grooming it more often now (since few people like icy moguls). Last two times I went out there (last season) it was groomed both times. Icy as hell one time, I was doing granny turns the whole way down. The other time it was corduroy and awesome.

Craig
warren
February 2, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
I was at the Shoe from 1/29 - 2/1. Made several runs down Lower Shays after it opened. It was running pretty fast but relatively smooth It was cool as I was running Cupp and noticed them setting up the lines, etc. My 9 year old and I got to make some of the first turns of the season down Lower Shays... SWEEEET
-Warren-
Philip
February 4, 2005
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
26 posts
JR, to answer your question, Lower Shays was not groomed, but they had dumped tons of fresh powder over the top of it... thus allowing us to carve the first moguls of the season. There was no ice on the entire lower shays run. It was absolutely the best skiing I've ever experinced at snowshoe.
warren
February 5, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Philip,
Man, I'm really jealous. Like I said before, when my daughter and I ran it, there was nothing that resembled powder of any shape or form on it. Just hard-pack/ice and fast!

-Warren-

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?