where to rent teles in or around DC
12 posts
5 users
2k+ views
Lucy
February 1, 2005
Member since 02/1/2005 🔗
2 posts
i am headed out for my first east coast ski experience. where can i rent telemark skis in the DC area? i will be headed to whitetail or roundtop (i would also like to know which resort i should go to) so anything on the way or ski shops there are an option as well.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 1, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I tele but I don't rent, so take my answer with a grain of salt and call around. I don't know if WT or Liberty rents teles. I am quite sure Timberline does. They have a large tele contingent in their ski school including a couple of high ranking PSIA people. They teach tele lessons so they would have to rent gear I would think. Chip Chase at Whitegrass Touring Center has a complete fleet of tele as well as touring rentals, and he teaches lessons. 304-866-4114. (I teach part time at Whitegrass.) You can also rent the gear at WG and take it next door to Timberline or Canaan. Locally Brian Beaumont at Ski Center teles. They sell some tele gear. I don't know if they rent it but call him and ask a few questions. Trusting memory it is 202-466-4474.
tomimcmillar
February 1, 2005
Member since 11/21/2004 🔗
129 posts
Lucy,

I can second Denis's recommendation of heading to Canaan for tele gear. Round these parts, if you want tele gear, it's either special order thru a shop, mail order or a 3-4 hour drive to WV where you can fondle gear at Whitegrass. Neither Whitetail or Roundtop rents tele gear, but if you're bringing your boots, there might be a way, way outside shot to hook up and borrow some gear for the day. Myself and the crew I run with all use 180ish sized sticks.

If you must tele, might be prudent now to start planning a daytrip to WV, you can do it without an overnight stay, but expect to be spent on the return trip. If you can't swing a run to the Valley, the local options can be weather dependent. I really like skiing Whitetail, decent vert for these parts, ~900ft vs 600ish for Roundtop. WT's blacks are much longer and a more evenly sustained pitch than you'll find at Roundtop. But, Roundtop's double blacks are more challenging, they're shortish headwall type runs that get the juices flowing before relaxing into single black terrain. WT has much longer blue runs if cruising and carving is your thing. Depending on when you can get to the hill, crowding might be something to consider, expect larger crowds at WT than at RT if there on a wknd.
Annnnnd, watch the weather, if you're here during the predicted thaw-freeze of the next two weeks, WT conditions can be variable due to its exposure. I think RT holds onto nicer conditions when the temps start bouncing up and down. If it's a weekday morn, WT for sure, late in the day or night, seriously consider RT. Wknds can be a toss up.

When are you visiting?
I've heard thru the grapevine that there's gonna be a tele gettogether at WT, middle of Feb. No idea of the agenda (clinics, demos, etc), who knows, there just might be more than a dozen pinheads on the mountain at one time.
Swimmer
February 3, 2005
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
143 posts
Whitetail is demoing K2 skis set up with tele gear. Spacing right now on the bindings, I wanna say Voilles. T2 boots are on the shelf, but not sure if they will demo the boots as well, or expect you to furnish your own. The shop at Whitetail is ran by a tele dude.

There are a couple of tele guys up there. One is named Niko. Very nice guy. I've chatted with a tele patrol guy there, again, spacing on his name, but also very nice. If you see some gaper who looks totally out of place on tele gear, that would be me.

Good luck.

Steve
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 3, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I gave the wrong number for Ski Center. It is 966-4474
tomimcmillar
February 3, 2005
129 posts
Swimmer,

Thanks for the info.
I'm honestly quite surprised.
Do you know if the demos are the tele specific skis or K2 alpines mounted tele? It's soon time to replace either my old Totally or World Pistes...

Also got a buddy on a snowboard we're gonna convert. This should make it a bit easier...

peace,
T
camp
February 3, 2005
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts
Whitetail rents K2 Totally Piste and Work Stinx (I think) as well as Atomics. They have Voile Hardwires on 'em and T-2s all for $15 for 2 hours. Very nice deal! Dusty is the guy in the Sports Shop who knows the most about the tele scene.

lc
camp
February 3, 2005
660 posts
Quote:

There are a couple of tele guys up there. One is named Niko.

I met and skied a bit w/ Niko last season. Is he (or anyone there) still doing their "tele tea" at 1100 on Sunday's in the terrain park? Niko is a pipe/park tele guy, so I assume he spends most of his time in there.

lc
tomimcmillar
February 4, 2005
129 posts
Hey lc,

Are you the IF 29er ridin' Larry that I know?

If so, you coming up to play in Michaux soon?

peace,
T
camp
February 4, 2005
660 posts
that's me, but that 29er is lonely,
i need to feed the tele jones a lot more in this disappointing winter. i have an Adirondack week coming up in late Feb. and still hoping for some more WG after that.
tomimcmillar
February 4, 2005
129 posts
yeah, I hear ya....heading to Tahoe first wknd in March for a visit with Stubbie. Would like to hit WG before then, but that's up to old ma nature. Threw some cross style tires on the old retro Ritchey for slushy, nasty road spins. Michaux has a bit o snow cover, not quite ridable, but these couple warm days might open some stuff up.

Drop me a note if you're heading to WT, we'll hook it up. There's a tele thing there the 19th, but I have no clue what it entails....

peace,
T
Swimmer
February 4, 2005
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
143 posts
Swung by the shop at whitetail last night, noticed a pair of Black Diamond Nunyo's mounted up with Hardwires as well.

Steve

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?