Give Laurel Mtn. a try
4 posts
3 users
Buckeye Skier
January 31, 2005
Member since 01/11/2004 🔗
54 posts
Tired of fighting crowds at 7Springs or Wisp or where ever?
You might want to hit Laurel Mtn. I went Saturday and had a very good day of skiing. The parking lot looked pretty full but there was never more than a 10 chair wait, and that was only one time. The mountain is in good shape, although some of the natural snow trails need some snow. So get out there and support Laurel. It is not often that resorts rise from the dead, let's try and keep this one alive!
JohnL
January 31, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

Tired of fighting crowds at 7Springs or Wisp or where ever?

You might want to add Whitetail, Liberty and Roundtop to that list. From reading the posts on this forum and talking to some Whitetail employees this evening, apparently Saturday was an absolute zoo. Glad I missed it.

I did the extra drive on Saturday and skied Laurel Mountain for the first time. There was some great, great snow on Laurel Run and the bumps to skier's right on Lower Wildcat had some challenge to them. It was great to see plenty of cars in the parking lot (good business for the area) but it was even better to see no lift lines.

Buckeye Skier,
You don't happen to have a sister/aunt who lives near Laurel Mtn and were you there on Saturday with your son/father?
hockeydave
February 1, 2005
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
I'm glad to hear you had a nice time @ Laurel, Buckeye Skier. As seen from my previous posts, I am a big fan of Laurel Mountain. Virtually no lift lines on weekends when both lifts are operating. The family atmosphere is also very refreshing, as opposed to the frat party atmosphere @ other resorts on weekends. I have a weekday pass @ 7 Springs, and a weekend pass @ Laurel Mountain (all for less than $300!!!). The best deal and it offers a great variety.

Although there are only a couple of ways to get down the hill, Lower Wildcat will never bore you.

I was also encouraged by a near full parking lot on Saturday, given the lack of promotion of the resort. Hopefully, next year with possible snowmaking upgrades and some more exposure of Laurel Mountain via advertising, every Fri, Sat & Sun will see the parking lot full. Laurel deserves to live, survive & thrive. It has a special niche for those seeking not to play dodgeball on weekends, but ski. Also, the view from the Wildcat bar is absolutely beautiful @ sunset on a clear, crisp, sunny day.
Buckeye Skier
February 1, 2005
Member since 01/11/2004 🔗
54 posts
JohnL,
That wasn't me. My wife couldn't make it so I made a solo trip over. I wish I had relatives in the area, free lodging would allow me to make more trips that way.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.