Solden, Austria Trip 1/22 thru 1-29
3 posts
3 users
1k+ views
kwillg6
January 31, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
A group of Timberline skiers and friends just returned from Solden on Saturday. I must admit, it is one large ski area among many in the region. We skied until we dropped. The Glacier area on the top (elevation 3309m) was almost as big as the geographical square mileage of Canaan Valley from North to South. This is one experience that I was glad to be a part of. Although it is a poor snow year there, their conditions rivaled many of the US top ski areas. The only negative was that fresh powder experiences were sparce and the risk of slides/avalanches were great.
Reisen
January 31, 2005
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts
Solden is great, but glacier skiing in Austria is really a different animal. You are correct that they've had tons of snow this year.

I spent a week out in Breck over New Years, and while I enjoyed it, I'm still partial to European resorts. Chamonix, Val d'Isere, Val Thorens, Cortina... The size of these linked resorts is awesome. I need to ski Utah next, and maybe I'll change my mind...
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 31, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Solden--that's one of my favorites!!!

http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=133&mode=headlines

But I have to agree that glaciers are overrated. A lot of the European glaciers tend to be on the flat side--the better skiing is on natural slopes.

Did you ever get a chance to ski Vent or Obergurgl?

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?