Laurel Mountain on a Reduced Schedule this Winter
2 posts
2 users
1k+ views
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
November 5, 2002
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Laurel Mountain in Ligonier, PA, will be operating on a 5 day schedule this year. It will be closed Tuesdays and Wenesdays.

This move is designed to cut operating costs, and help make up for some of the financial losses the mountain suffered during the past 3 seasons.

According to an article by Bill Clapper in OntheSnow.com, "the company lost $1.7 million during its first season, 1999-2000; nearly $500,000 in the 2000-01 season; and about $1 million in 2001-02 according to reports filed with the state."

For more on the situation at Laurel, check out:

http://www.onthesnow.com/news/midatlantic/

JohnL
November 10, 2002
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Ouch! Hopefully they'll be able to pull through despite their current fiscal problems. Based on some comments/reviews on this site, Laurel is number one on my list of Mid-Atlantic areas to check out this winter. (At least I wasn't planning on visiting the area mid-week.) Sounds like Laurel has less crowds and some very interesting terrain for this neck of the woods.

I'd like to think that smaller local areas can survive without either having to become destination resorts or having to cater to hordes of day skiiers/sliders from nearby cities.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?