Directions to Whitetail from Annapolis
5 posts
3 users
cheechman32
January 24, 2005
Member since 09/12/2004 🔗
27 posts
I'm looking to make a trip out to Whitetail on either Thurs or Fri night. I'm new to the area, any advice on a quick route to get there? Probably leaving just in time to catch rush hour.
KevR
January 24, 2005
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
I would take RT97N to RT100 west. Then get off at 29N and fairly immediately (less than 5min?) take 70West thru to Frederick and follow it north to Clear Springs, MD. Follow the signs to Whitetail (in or near mercersburg pa). Chances may be good there'll be car or suv with skis or snowboards on it -- can't go too far wrong following them at this pt!

I think that's likely to be the fastest although its NOT much slower to pick up 70 west off 695 in my experience.
KevR
January 25, 2005
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
Hi -- just went up today and a few minor notes. From 29N to 70W is just but a minute or two. There are TWO exits onto 70 from 29 -- one the standard right hand loop around, and the other is a left hander a little farther up (probably you will not notice it but its there!)
At CLEAR SPRING (not clear springs) -- bear right off the exit ramp, pass the McDonalds and go to the town light. There will be a large brown sign with a snowflake in it pointing ahead -- follow this. Through the light you will come to a T -- go right (more snowflakes I think, but now blue signs) -- sorry no road name, didn't get a good look! Then up ahead 1/4 mile so take the left onto Blair Valley Road (again a blue snow flake sign marks the road). I would say Whitetail parking is 5 miles up this rd, approx. (it's a bit windy but fun!)
that's it...
therusty
January 31, 2005
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
If your going on Friday afternoon, I-70 going into Frederick gets backed up pretty bad from 4-6 pm.

If you must go through during that time, it's possible to get off at route 75 north, left on Old Annapolis Road, left on 26, south on 15 back to 70 west.
cheechman32
February 1, 2005
Member since 09/12/2004 🔗
27 posts
Thanks for the advice. I recommend you take the detour Therusty advised. Last week I spent a solid 30 minutes in bumper to bumper traffic in Frederick, MD. YUCK.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?