Directions to Canaan
18 posts
11 users
2k+ views
Coach13
January 24, 2005
Member since 12/16/2003 🔗
56 posts
I know I've seen directions to Canaan posted here, but I can't find the thread. Can anyone either provide the link or provide directions to the Canaan area via rt 50 from Winchester and rt 220 from Cumberland? Thanks in advance.
warren
January 24, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Coach,
I take 50W, 93, 32S. With corridor H in the works, I would imagine that folks have some better ideas...

-Warren-
Bumps
January 24, 2005
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts
The H now runs from about Baker, WV to Moorefield, WV. It is significantly faster through there. Cuts off about a half hour from previous times. From Moorefield go to Petersburg (my home town)and then you can go either up the Mt Storm side or the Seneca Rocks side to Canaan. If you go up Senca rocks side, its basically rt55 from I81 all the way to rt32. (55 is also 220/28/33 at various points along the way and maybe a few others I don't remember). I generally don't take the 50 route from where I am so I'm not sure on time differences from winchester.
gatkinso
January 25, 2005
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
Even with CH completed the "Northern Passage" will be quicker from Baltimore.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 25, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Quote:

Even with CH completed the "Northern Passage" will be quicker from Baltimore.

Here's a link with Canaan (and Snowshoe) directions: http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=342&mode=faq
I may be heading to CV myself this weekend from northern VA and I still wonder which is better to take west of I66: Rt 55 (CH) or skip up I81 to Rt 50?
Bill
January 25, 2005
Member since 01/5/2005 🔗
42 posts
I go over to the Valley at least once each season. I have tried both ways and much prefer the Northern route using 50/93/32. Plus food is a little easier that way (i.e. Burger King just outside Romney) and a McD's along the way as well.
dmh
January 25, 2005
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
127 posts
I have a house in CV and travel there from Arlington with some regularity. The southern route--66-55 to Petersburg, 42 to Bismark, then 93 to Davis--takes me 3 hours nonrush hour, 3.5 to 4 if 66 is clogged to Gainsville. H really has cut significant time off the trip, not to mention the reduced stress from eliminating hair-pin curves.
skiTLINE
January 25, 2005
Member since 12/15/2004 🔗
230 posts
Hairpins turns........you arent kidding. Some of those turns from Romney to the turn off towards Mt Storm are crazy. Then the whole way up Mt Storm is a nail biter. Then once to the top and make then right turn at BP gas station then you must deal with the cops looking to pull every skiier over they can. Corridor H is beginning to show major signs of benefit. It shaves atleast 30-40 mins for the wifey and I when heading from Loudon County.
James_Gorman
January 25, 2005
Member since 01/10/2005 🔗
12 posts
I took the northern route - tollway, Greenway, 7, 81, 50, 93, 32 from my house in Tysons/McLean Friday, leaving at 9pm. I was at the desk at the Village Inn at Timberline in 3h 10min.

James
skiTLINE
January 25, 2005
Member since 12/15/2004 🔗
230 posts
although I do kind of miss going the 50/93/32 way because I could call from BP gas station to Sirianis and have a Triple XXX pizza waiting as i drove through. Anyone here ever had that?????? Damn delicious
bawalker
January 25, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
There is actually a 3rd route that combines the both of these giving yout he best of both worlds. But I will get to that in a second.

If you leave on Rt. 50 there by the Hospital in Winchester and take Rt. 50 all the way to Davis, WV, and then drop south on Rt 90 for about 13 miles, and then take US Rt 219 for about a mile and half. Then finally take Rt 32 south for about 8 miles you will be at Timberline/Canaan. This is a fairly easy trip as it's mostly one way on Rt 50. This trip covers 100.1 miles and is listed at 2 hrs 30 minutes travel time.

Or ...

The second route would be to do the following:

1.) From Winchester take I-81 south to Strasburg, Exit 296.
2.) From Strasburg take Rt. 55/US48 west towards Wardensville
3.) At Wardensville Rt. 55 merges with Rt. 259, continue on this road to Baker, WV
4.) At Baker take a Right on Rt. 55 (4 lane highway) to Moorefield.
5.) At East Moorefield Exit, take a left on Rt. 55, continue to downtown Moorefield.
6.) At the stoplight take a Left on US 220/55.
7.) Continue on US 220 S until you arrive in downtown Petersburg, WV.
8.) At the stoplight make a Right on Rt. 55.
9.) At the second stoplight (by Sheetz) stay to the left towards Seneca Rocks.
10.) Stay on that stretch of road for approx 22 miles until you arrive at Seneca Rocks.
11.) At Seneca Rocks make a Right on US 33 towards Harman.
12.) At Harman make a right towards Canaan Valley on Rt 32.
13.) Arrive at Canaan Valley.

By following Mapquest this route is 123.9 miles long taking around 3hrs 30 minutes.

Don't let the travel time throw you off, mapquest is off HORRENDOIUSLY on the time for this trip. I know because last year alone I made 9 trips to Timberline from my house (3 miles N of Wardensville) and it takes me approx 1hr 35 min travel time from pulling out of my driveway and into Timberlines parking lot. That is under optimal travel conditions (no snow, no slow traffic, etc). Plus I used to travel Rt 55 to Lord Fairfax Community College daily and that alone is only a 35 min drive tops. So I'm estimating around 50 minutes from Winchester to Wardensville via that route. So you are looking at a 2 hour 25 min drive if you take the I-81 route. I can't be sure about the Rt 50 one because I've never really done it all the way to Davis.

Now... there is a shortcut for you.

If you leave Winchester on Rt 50 and goto Gore, VA which is about 12 miles away and make a LEFT on Rt 259 South, and head towards Wardensville, you can make it in 30 min time by traveling around 60-65mph . Then you can continue on with the directions I listed above. This would give you a solid 2 hour travel time.

I hope this helps!!
Coach13
January 25, 2005
56 posts
Thanks guys!!
Coach13
January 25, 2005
56 posts
Quote:

Hairpins turns........you arent kidding. Some of those turns from Romney to the turn off towards Mt Storm are crazy. Then the whole way up Mt Storm is a nail biter. Then once to the top and make then right turn at BP gas station then you must deal with the cops looking to pull every skiier over they can. Corridor H is beginning to show major signs of benefit. It shaves atleast 30-40 mins for the wifey and I when heading from Loudon County.

I'm coming from Loudoun. What exact route do you take?
bawalker
January 25, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Since my dentist is in Loudon Co (Leesburg), you have two really good ways to get to the slopes depending on which is closer. Route 7 is a straightline to Winchester. From there your quickest bet is to jump on I-81 N. for a mile or so and get off at the Rt 50/Rt 37 Exit. Go south on that for about 3 miles and get off at the Rt 50 Exit and follow the directions I outlined above.

OR

You can take Rt 7 to Winchester, get on I-81 south for 30 min and goto the Rt 55 exit in Strasburg. But if you live closer to I-66 than Rt 7 in Loudon Co, get on I-66, go ALL the way to the end at the I-81 junction and go south for about 3 miles to the Rt 55 Exit. Again follow all the directions outlined above.

It's been my experience that Rt 50 *IS* VERY winding and turning and that I prefer going the Corridor H route, Moorefield, Petersburg, Seneca Rocks, Harmon and to Canaan. There are in my opinion less turns in the road overall and it's a much straighter path. That is my opinion anyway
Coach13
January 25, 2005
56 posts
Quote:

It's been my experience that Rt 50 *IS* VERY winding and turning and that I prefer going the Corridor H route, Moorefield, Petersburg, Seneca Rocks, Harmon and to Canaan. There are in my opinion less turns in the road overall and it's a much straighter path. That is my opinion anyway

Where do you enter and exit corrider H?
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 25, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
I get a chuckle out of this subject. To paraphrase Churchill, it's a puzzle wrapped up in an enigma.
I'll probably try the Rt 55 option to check out the new CH stretch and go thru Harmon. Here's the old thread on same subject for your reading pleasure: http://www.dcski.com/ubbthreads22/showfl...h=true#Post4427
tgd
January 25, 2005
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
We make the drive to Canaan about 20 times a year now, and I have tried both northern and southern passages many times. In general, I prefer the southern route (55 through Seneca Rocks) in bad weather and on weekends. I like the northern route all other times. The southern route is about 10 miles shorter for me from the center of Fairfax; however, I have found more construction delays and slow trucks (CH construction related?) on the southern route and tend to avoid it if I am travelling on a weekday during daylight hours. The southern route is also a little more remote. My best time on this route is just over 3 hours from Fairfax Circle.

The northern route has the advantage of passing by Winchester and through Romney which make for well-timed bathroom and food breaks for my family. Also, you can hit the Shop'n Save in Davis for groceries and other essentials when you get up to the Valley. However, it's a little longer and the ride up Mt Storm and through to Davis on 93 can be a real hazard in bad weather. Best times between 3:15 and 3:30 hours.
Coach13
January 26, 2005
56 posts
Quote:

I get a chuckle out of this subject. To paraphrase Churchill, it's a puzzle wrapped up in an enigma.

I agree with you, there just seems to be no "easy" way to get there.I guess that will change when corridor H is completed.

I tried the southern route last year, so I'm going to try the northern route through Winchester this year. It may not be any better, but I can't see it being much worse. It's a beautiful area out there, so it's worth the hassle to get there.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.