Snowshoe
28 posts
9 users
4k+ views
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
October 30, 2002
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Snowshoe expects to start making snow later this week. They also expect snow on Sunday.
Opening date is set for 22 November. Let's keep our fingers firmly crossed.
October 31, 2002
1,986 posts
From today's Snowshoe snow report:

"Snowshoe got it's first snow of the season last night and today. 1 inch of snow blanketed Snowshoe Mountain. Our Mountain crews aren't wasting anytime and will fire up our snowmaking arsenal today or tomorrow to start laying a base for opening day."

ski_guy_59
October 31, 2002
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
WOOT WOOT!!!! Think snow guys! Too bad I dont come up till march, oh well!!!! I can't wait!
October 31, 2002
1,986 posts
After last year, I'm trying real hard not to get too excited, but things are looking really good. Snow is actually in the forecast again for tomorrow at Snowshoe.

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 10-31-2002).]

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
October 31, 2002
1,986 posts
I just got word from Snowshoe. They test fired the guns today at 0700 and will start blowing snow in earnest tomorrow morning.
ski_guy_59
October 31, 2002
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
I'm so excited! I know it's gotta sound crazy cause I'm so far away, but it really is exciting! think snow guys, this season surely will be better than last!

Waxing the skis,
Jar
PS....all I need is some boots! =)

Chad
November 1, 2002
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
why november 22? thats 21 days away (...calculating the number of hours right now). seems they could open far sooner if they start blowing snow now.
ski_guy_59
November 1, 2002
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
Maybe so they can get a super large base? After I get out of college, I'm gonna work at a resort in communications (Hopefully the 'Shoe) and at that point I'll lmpw all the little secrets of how the resorts work! =) THINK SNOW!!!!!!
November 2, 2002
1,986 posts
Three cheers for the snowmakers at Snowshoe! They're really cranking it out:

http://www.rsn.com/cams/image_display/1,1047,3030281,00.html?party_id=1611&segment_type=mtn

November 5, 2002
1,986 posts
Joe Stevens, the Snowshoe Communications Director, posted the following message about the opening date yesterday in his Snow News is Good News column:

"It was nice to hear the snow guns operating over the weekend. Mountain Operations got a dozen or so fan guns going early Friday
morning and didn't shut them off until early Sunday morning. Temperatures
dropped into the mid teens this past weekend, giving the snowmakers
excellent working conditions. The guns will operate whenever possible in
preparation for opening day. The top of the mountain also received three
inches of snow Thursday through Saturday making everything white at the
summit.

We are still planning to open the Snowshoe area Friday,
November 22. Some resorts worry about being first to open, we are working
on opening with the most terrain with the most snow. It's time to think
about quality and not bragging rights. The snow guns at the Silver Creek
area are being moved around to be in place for the area to open Friday,
December 13.

There have been some questions about the terrain park planned for the Snowshoe area this season. Once again, it is not going to
be anywhere near the size of Mountaineer Terrain Park at Silver Creek, but
there will be low rails and small hits at the time of opening. Bigger hits
are coming later in the season at the Snowshoe area and of course the pipe
and plenty of hits/features at the Silver Creek area.

This week's weather has its ups and downs. During the day
temperatures look like they are going to reach the low 40's, no snowmaking
there folks. However, beginning Wednesday night overnight temperatures will
be in the mid 20's, so it looks like we will make some snow overnight if the
conditions are right."

ski_guy_59
November 6, 2002
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
The guns came back on today! and they are goin over the hill too! check snowshoemtn.com
(Anonymous)
November 8, 2002
I wouldn't be surprised to see a few trails open with the next blast of cold air.
ski_guy_59
November 8, 2002
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
Joe said in snow news the other day that they won't open early. They are focusing on snow quality rather then bragging about early opening. Which is great for me, living in florida, I wont be up till spring break! which is the last week of march. hopefully this year will be much better than the last week of march last year! If you would like, you can read my report by searching for jarrett baker or snowshoe! THINK SNOW!!!
November 8, 2002
1,986 posts
Snowshoe never promised to open early. They've been shooting for 22 November for quite some time.

This is what I read on the Snowshoe web site:

"Updated: Thursday, November 8, 7am

Daily Comments: Nearly 40 hours of snowmaking has occured over the past two days. In talking with Mountain Operations, we have covered 8 acreas of our ski terrain with over two feet of snow. Unfortunately, it looks like the guns will be off for the next few days...but, startingthe middle part of next week, we should see more cold air move in and snowmaking resume. JS"

(Anonymous)
November 8, 2002
Did anyone here of how many fatlities that occurred at Snowshoe last season. I was there when someone was severly injured on Cupp. They called in the chopper, but it took its time leaving. This kinda had us thinking this person didn't make it.
canaanman
November 10, 2002
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
I cant tell you exactly... but I think they'd be in a pickle because usually negligence comes into play somewhere and Snowshoe gets sued and loses lots of money... baisically what happened to Timberline in 98.
JohnL
November 10, 2002
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
In defense of Snowshoe, I've never seen as many out of control skiers in one spot as the bottom of Cupp Run where it narrows into a bit of a traverse. I can't believe the number of adults flying on by at 20+ mph doing the power snowplow or "3-foot wide please don't let me fall 'cuz I'll lose the bet" stance. Sometimes (but not always) personal responsibility has to take-over.
ski_guy_59
November 11, 2002
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
It all goes back to the ski under control and within your limits thing! People who are snowplowing on Cupp need to be over on yew pine or ballhooter.
November 12, 2002
1,986 posts
The latest from Snowshoe Communications Director Joe Stevens on the opening date:

Here is Volume 3 of Snow News Is Good News:

SNOWMAKING CONTINUES
AT
SNOWSHOE MOUNTAIN
Hello Everyone:
Sometimes it's tough to brag about five inches of natural
snow, but with last year's very warm November fresh in everyone's memory,
that's our total so far this snowmaking season. We are up 40% over last
year's same date total. Now understand that's five inches compared to three
but any victory is important.
Here's what the Mountain Operations scoreboard looks like
right now, 90 hours of snowmaking covering about eight acres of the resort.
The rain, oops I mean underdeveloped snow and mild temperatures took its
toll on what was made but their is some still hanging in there. Everything
is set for the temperatures to drop. Plans are for snowmaking to resume
Tuesday night.
Everyone is asking about the weather. Once again I went to
my main weatherman, Herb Stevens, The Skiing Weatherman. I called and said,
don't tell me our chances to open in less then two weeks, tell me our
chances of not opening on time and this is what he thinks. "Opening day is
11 days away (as of Monday). I expect it to cool sufficiently for some
snowmaking later this week, and I believe that Snowshoe could see some
measurable natural snow between Friday and Tuesday of next week. As a
result, I have to believe that Snowshoe Mountain fares a fighting chance of
hitting your target late next week. It sure looks a lot more promising than
a year ago at this time!!!"
So, we are still planning to open the Snowshoe area Friday,
November 22. Unless we have a second coming of an ice age, you can expect
the normal four trails making up one run top to bottom at the Snowshoe area
to be the first terrain to be ready. The snow guns at Silver Creek are also
in place for the area to open Friday, December 13.
This week's weather again has its ups and downs. During the
day temperatures look like they are going to reach the low 40's, no
snowmaking there folks. However, beginning Tuesday night overnight
temperatures will be in the mid to upper 20's, so it looks like we will make
some snow overnight if the conditions are right.

snowcone
November 14, 2002
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
I am confused.

What = exactly = are the new driving SHORTCUTS to SnowShoe? We usually drive down from Germantown MD several times a season ... last year it was 4 visits. Anything to make the 5.5 hour trip shorter and with less switchbacks would be a life saver.

On one of our trips last year, we traveled all those switchbacks through a dense fog and drizzle with less than 10 feet visibility. The only thing we could see was the centerline ... when there was one! Speaking of white-knuckled driving! We were wrecks by the time we finally signed in. I sure don't want to have to go through that again!!

November 14, 2002
1,986 posts
Two factors are shortening the drive to Snowshoe from certain areas.

1. Corridor H. This new highway, which will eventually run from Elkins to Wardensville, promises to greatly reduce drive times from the DC metro area (as well as Western PA) to Snowshoe and the Canaan Valley resorts. Currently, only a few small sections are open, but the situation is changing rapidly. The Corridor H web site promises to have an 11-mile stretch between Baker and Moorfield open by the end of the year. This section will eliminate quite a few switchbacks from the drive and also speed things up. Another 7 mile segment from Baker to Wardensville will open in 2004. As each new section opens, drivers will start to see their drive times reduced. For more details, go here: http://www.wvcorridorh.com/index.html

2. A new Snowshoe access road from Cass. This new access road will shave up to 30 minutes off the trip to Snowshoe for D.C. area visitors. For more details: http://www.dcski.com/features/new2002/snowshoe.php3

Chad
November 18, 2002
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
from the "snow news is good news" page:

Updated: Monday, November 18,11 am

Daily Comments: After a Mountain Operations meeting this morning it was decided to take full advantage of any and all snowmaking weahter for proper opening conditions and wait until Wednesday, November 27 to begin the season. The sound of snowplows were heard outside my house on Rt. 219 early this morning. What a beautiful sound it was. We received about an inch of snow at 2800 feet and nearly four inches up top. Almost 100 guns are going right now at the Snowshoe and Silver Creek areas right now with a temperature of 19 degrees. Time to ride! JS

November 18, 2002
1,986 posts
Guess I won't be going to WV this weekend. Thanks for the update Chad.
Joe
November 27, 2002
Member since 11/27/2002 🔗
2 posts
I received an email on a Snowshoe lodging special from a private owner. I can't go either of these weekends but I thought I would post it here. It sounds pretty reasonable for a slopeside two bedroom condo...

Snowshoe received 8 inches of natural snow this weekend and they are making more! The snow machines are out in force.

The early season is a great time to take advantage of reduced rates on lodging and lift tickets. The first two weekends of December are not yet booked. As a result, we are making this last minute special offer:

3 nights 12/5, 12/6 and 12/7 or 12/12, 12/13 and 12/14

Snowshoe rate: $868

Our rate: $595 total.

If you wish, add a 4th night to the package for only $55!

Here is a link to our web site http://vrbo.com/7266.htm

Here is a link to the Snowshoe web site http://www.snowshoemtn.com

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Sincerely,

Doug and Mary Rozum

drozum@yahoo.com

(330) 325-6237

(Anonymous)
December 2, 2002
Snoeshoe was awsume on Sunday the 7AM temp was 7deg with 7" of real freshies with more falling. The best opening few days ever.
ski_guy_59
December 2, 2002
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
Just a quick question to all of you who ski much more a year than I do, do you get the same joy/excitement/entertainment out of skiing nights and weekends as you would having a full time job such as patroller/communications dept., etc.? It's coming to that point where I have to really start making decisions! (early decision application is on the slate for next month) I know I want to go into photography and news, but I also would love to work in the Communications department at a resort and possibly something like Snowshoe TV. Just so many decisions! Any thoughts?
Scott - DCSki Editor
December 3, 2002
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Ah yes, college application time.. I remember it well! I guess I'll chime in and add my two cents, but don't take anything I say as gospel. You'll find that people love giving advice, and I'm sure you're probably getting a lot of it.

I don't have a full-time job in the ski industry, so my comments should be taken in that context. In fact, although it might surprise some, DCSki is my "double life" -- I have a full-time job that is wholly separate from DCSki, very demanding, and quite a bit different. And yes, I miss sleep.

I have often thought it would be fun to work at a ski resort. But one thing to keep in mind working at a ski resort or any other type of hospitality industry: it is still a job, but one where you're surrounded by people on vacation. When Mother Nature dumps a foot of snow, you might have to look out your office window as other people enjoy it, knowing that it's so close.. but you're on the clock.

Of course, you will likely have more opportunities to ski than if you have a job that is hours (or more) from a ski resort. But it's still a demanding job -- I work closely with a lot of people in the snow industry and they work harder than just about anyone I know. And it's often 7-day-a-week jobs, at least at the height of the ski season. On the other hand, I think they're in the ski industry because they do have a passion for the sport.

Another thing to keep in mind is that positions at a place like a ski resort are in short supply. (And here I'm talking about year-round jobs, not seasonal jobs like lift operator.) For example, there are thousands of companies that might look to hire someone with broadcasting/journalism experience, but only a limited number of ski resorts. A good way to get your foot in the door -- and test the water to see if it's something you like -- is to get an internship. It won't pay much, if anything, but it will give you good experience and valuable contacts, and a lot of colleges have internship/co-op programs that make this sort of thing possible. Take advantage of them.

In my mind, being happy in one's job should come before money. You can make a lot of money but not be happy, and where's the fun in that? But, when deciding what major you want to shoot for, you do need to keep in the back of your mind whether you'll be able to make enough money to sustain the lifestyle you want -- now and in retirement. And there are definitely varying degrees of demand for graduates with different majors. For example, an English major is likely to have a harder time finding a job than, say, a software engineering major. (Even after the tech bubble burst!) I'm generalizing here, but you get the point.

I think good advice in terms of studies is to mix disciplines. You mention an interest in photography and news -- mixing photography, graphic design, broadcasting and journalism would be a good mix as it would give you many potential skills that might be in demand and that can feed off of each other. Regardless of major, I think writing is the most valuable skill one can have.

Solely picking photography might be riskier; having spoken with several professional photographers recently, I can tell you that today, that's a brutal market to be in. (Four or five years from now might be different. And while it's a brutal market to be in right now, with digital photography, I think it's also an exciting one.) That is one market that has been hurt by the recession. Companies are making less money, which means they are advertising less, which means publications have to reduce the number of pages, which means there are less photos in each publication, which means each photographer has less work. A photographer with additional skills (say, freelance writing) could try to focus on the other area to pick up slack when the demand for one area temporarily decreases.

Some of the most interesting people I know have two degrees in wildly divergent areas: biology and journalism, for example. Or engineering and law. There are a lot of fields that can feed off of each other. For instance, computer science can be a tool to just about any other discipline.

So I wouldn't necessarily limit yourself to one area, although you don't want to be overwhelmed, and it's easy to be overwhelmed in college. (Especially in the beginning, you'll have to take a lot of courses that you might not enjoy, and that are a lot of work.)

If you do have an interest in eventually working at a ski resort (say, in a communications department), I'd recommend touching base with some people who work there now and see what advice they can give. I'd be happy to e-mail you a list of some contacts at resorts near and far that might be willing to field your questions.

Hope there's some useful morsels of insight in my rambling. Most important, there aren't any wrong decisions, just lots of paths one can take. If you're like me, you'll find college to be among the most memorable years of your life. (All of us old timers (well, OK, I am under 30) wax nostalgic when we think about college.)

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott (edited 12-03-2002).]

ski_guy_59
December 3, 2002
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
Thanks for the great advice, Scott! You echo what my mom and I have been talking about the last few days. I think that I might minor in photography, and do a double major in say telecommunications and business. So if one day I choose to open my own studio, I can. But if the markets go crazy like they are now, then I have a back up plan. If you could e-mail that list, I'd appreciate it! Thanks so much for your two cents!

Jarrett

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.