snow today - hoards tomorrow?
12 posts
12 users
2k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 19, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
I wonder if the few inches of snow today in DC will bring out the hoards tomorrow at local ski areas for those who have Inauguration Day off?
Anybody have any Inaugaration Day skiing memories?
jimmy
January 19, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
John Kerry and his snowboard will probably be there!
gatkinso
January 19, 2005
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
I am sure these couple of inches + the cold temps really have gone a long way towards repairing the damage done by the thaw (if you can call it that - I call it a disaster).
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 19, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
The prediction I just heard on Accuweather's video stream is that W. PA/WV will be the epicenter for this weekend's STORM: 10-15 inches.
tromano
January 19, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
I stopped off at montage and Round top on the way back from Quebec on monday. I had some curiosity about how the local resorts were doing. The conditions looked very promising at both. I surely would descend on a local mountain if I had the day off.
SkiBumMSP
January 19, 2005
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
I don't have tommorrow off (and we got a good couple of inches of snow here in Fredericksburg). However, I wonder what the crowds at Massanutten are going to be like as I going to be there all weekend. However, if this snowstorm actually materializes, there may be some sweet skiing to be had up there!
LordHedgie
January 19, 2005
Member since 12/1/2004 🔗
49 posts
I don't know, but right around 6PM or so Liberty suddenly got crowded, especially on the backside. Mainly the blue boxes -- folks got off work, saw the snow, and decided to ski in it.

Oddly enough, the crowd was mostly gone by 8PM. It was just a quick surge of folks that had to get some turns in, I guess.
langleyskier
January 19, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I have school off tomorrow and i know of at least 15 people from my school who will be at whitetail (including me). I know conditions are bound to be great because i was there monday and they were the best i have skied in a while.
tskski
January 19, 2005
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
122 posts
I was at Massenutten Sunday night of MLK weekend and was pleasantly surprised at the crowd (or the lack of). They were blowing snow and it started to snow around 7. Had a great time. It was my first time on the snow this winter. Hope to go back this weekend, hopefully the slopes will be as uncrowded.
kwillg6
January 20, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Normally I would be at t-line for the weekend, but am heading accross the big pond to do some skiing in the Alps with some friends. If this storm for the weekend does materialize and the normal post lake effects occur, everything in the valley will be skiable. Just my luck that it has to happen when I can't be there to help pig it up! John, you need to use up my share if you can get to the valley.
Gill
January 20, 2005
Member since 06/23/2000 🔗
61 posts
I was up at Whitetail yesterday. The conditions were amazing given the few days they've had to recover from the warm temps and rain. Not too many people, and by "not too many people" I mean no lines for any lift all day. Early in the day, we had entire runs to ourselves. I guess the cold temps kept folks away till afternoon.
Glenn_C
January 20, 2005
Member since 11/14/2004 🔗
67 posts
We're leaving out after my youngest boy's concert tonight. Should put into Davis, WV about 12:30 am or so. Six or seven hours rack time and I'll be doing first turns at Canaan or T-line (Canaan promises a few more slope openings by Sat morning and since I'm holding season passes for Canaan, the economics come into play as well). I will get at least one day at T-line over the weekend but the majority will be CR. Hoping for a snow-in so I can make the call-in to work on Monday. Oh great and glorious Ullr, I am but your humble devotee. I beseech thee to bestow thy glorious white bounty upon thy altar (Allegheny Highlands)

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?