canann 1/2 price
12 posts
8 users
1k+ views
jimboc
January 18, 2005
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
on the web site - offering half price lift tickets...
warren
January 18, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Yeah, but have you seen what they're reporting open? It doesn't hardly seem worth the 3+ hour drive to ski one blue run It never ceases to amaze me how poor both Canaan and T-Line are at getting things open vs Snowshoe. They are already back to 80% open and that number will push close to 100% in the next few days. Meanwhile, T-Line is < 50% and Canaan is about 22% open! I guess these guys just really aren't interested in the ski portion of their business

-Warren-
skiTLINE
January 18, 2005
Member since 12/15/2004 🔗
230 posts
Not that I can confirm or deny your Snowshoes statements of having 80% of their trails open but unless you were their and skied them yourself or have some firsthand report then honestly you can type whatever you like on a ski resorts website. i know late last week snowshoe disnt have 80% open. how they would have gotten to that point over the last 4 days I am not sure. i think by the end of this week however skiing will be fantastic at almost all the resorts in the midatlantic.
kwillg6
January 18, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Given the springlike conditions of the past month, all resorts need to do promos to bring the public back. Canaan has been successful in the past in doing this, however, with what they have open, a 75% discount would be in order.
TOMF
January 18, 2005
Member since 11/17/2003 🔗
60 posts
I skied at Snowshoe Sat., Sun., and Mon. of MLK weekend. On Saturday about half of the trails were open and snow conditions were marginal. By Monday I would guess that about two-thirds of the trails were open and the snow conditions were good. Also on Monday the slopes were not crowded. Perhaps people were turned off by the -5 degree temperature at the top of the mountain at 9am. SS was really cranking out the snow. I believe them when they say that they have 80% of their trails open today.

Tom
JR
January 18, 2005
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
Quote:

Not that I can confirm or deny your Snowshoes statements of having 80% of their trails open but unless you were their and skied them yourself or have some firsthand report then honestly you can type whatever you like on a ski resorts website. i know late last week snowshoe disnt have 80% open. how they would have gotten to that point over the last 4 days I am not sure. i think by the end of this week however skiing will be fantastic at almost all the resorts in the midatlantic.

I believe that Snowshoe has enough people in and out of that place that if they were lying about their trail openings we'd know about it. Do you really think they'd be so stupid as to set themselves up for such a terrible reputation. And besides, they were 80% open a few weeks ago so apparently they only needed enough snowmaking to patch bare spots with snowmaking and grooming. 7 springs has gone from 5 trails to over 20 in 4 days. You'd be surprised just what resorts are capable of when temps are as low as they are now.
warren
January 18, 2005
485 posts
SkiTLine,
Just to second what JR said. I've been to the 'Shoe' MANY times. I've seen the incredible snowmaking capacity of theirs I've also noticed that they don't tend to fluff up their snow report. If they claim some percentage open, then that's what's open. During the warm spell, I found the reports quite straight-forward including warnings of thin and bare spots. My point is, they seem to put MUCH more effort into getting terrain open (and repaired/re-opened). I'm honestly not trying to bash T-Line/Canaan, in fact I like going there but I just get frustrated when I see such a larger percentage open at near-by resorts. If I'm going to drive the 3+ hours to get there, I would really like more than 1 or 2 ways down from the top

-Warren-
skiTLINE
January 18, 2005
230 posts
i agree with you that snowshoes ability to cover terrain is light years ahead of Tline and Caanan. but, comparing these resorts is like comparing the patriots with the 49ers of this season. there is no comparison. the shoes financial advantage it carries over a much smaller resort (tline/caanan) makes them a monster. i dont even understand why folks when discussing mid atlantic ski destinations include them in the same breath. tline is what it is. if temps are cold and mother nature cooperates with natural snow than it is a nice destination only a few hrs away. if they need to solely depend on there snowmaking capabilities then they would be in trouble. yes they upgraded some this year, but they are far from being snowshoe. this is why many folks like tline is for its more rustic approach to skiing. at least thats what i like about the valley.
warren
January 18, 2005
485 posts
skiTLINE,
After I made my post, I was thinking that same thing that I was comparing a multi-billion dollar company against a small business. Not too fair eh? Anyway, let's just do our snow dances to help out T-Line/Canaan so they can get more terrain open sooner I'm going to be there for President's day weekend. Hopefully, there'll be some advanced territory and glades to play with

Peace,
-Warren-
skiTLINE
January 18, 2005
230 posts
Amen brother. I will be there as well. Trying to get the ol Mother-n-law to accompany us so she can watch the kid. I have been promising her it will be snowing if she goes and i think i have a good shot at making good on my promise this weekend.
gatkinso
January 20, 2005
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
I ma heading up Saturday - bring on the snow here's to hoping they open Meadows 1!!!!
Glenn_C
January 20, 2005
Member since 11/14/2004 🔗
67 posts
I'm going up tonight...keeping my fingers crossed for at least three more trail openings at Canaan Resort by Saturday. Timberline is looking great and with Off the Wall just opening, they're probably going to be looking at some killer crowds.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.