Whitetail report??
12 posts
9 users
2k+ views
langleyskier
January 16, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Anyone been 2 WT this weekend? If so it would be great if you could post how the conditions/cover was i am going up tomorrow and want to know what to expect. And any chance of bold decision or limelight opening up tomorrow?
dtqjr
January 16, 2005
Member since 12/5/2001 🔗
15 posts
Quote:

Anyone been 2 WT this weekend? If so it would be great if you could post how the conditions/cover was i am going up tomorrow and want to know what to expect. And any chance of bold decision or limelight opening up tomorrow?

I was at Whitetail today. Coverage wasn't too bad except there were lots of little rocks and even some softball size rocks laying around on the slopes. They were blowing heavily on everything that was open as well as Limelight. I'd guess that Limelight will be open tomorrow but skiers right on that run will likely be thin. I doubt Bold Decision will be open. Looked only about 1/2 covered today.
I bought a new pair of skis this year with the intent of using my 3-year old skis for days like this. Well I took up my new ones and got a really deep nick in the bottom. Just look out for the large rocks lying around.
warren
January 17, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
I will second the warning to watch out for rocks. On several occasions later in the day, I had to quickly bail to avoid someone. I ended up on the fringes and found some nice rocks (Several good gouges in my base now ) The snow was good though. It held an edge VERY nicely. There were no lift lines to speak of while we were there (From 08:30 - 2:00)

-Warren-
tomimcmillar
January 17, 2005
Member since 11/21/2004 🔗
129 posts
Was there Sunday morn from 8:30 to 12:30ish. Only rode the high speed quad twice, once to get started, then again later. Found a nice stash of manmade pow along the left edge of Drop In. Took some 'route finding' to get into it, since the upper left portion had some thinner areas and those pesky loose rocks in spots. For the most part, we had this portion to ourselves whenever we skied it. Usually wide open, no traffic from the turn off for the terrain park to the Expert chair...sweet.
We talked to a Patrol fella who was also on tele, he was thinking the Bold Decision would open today, but I see from the trail report, that it didn't happen. They also had the guns fired up on the Farside.
Found some small bumps just beginning to form on Home Run, just enough to play with the timing. Exhibition showed signs of bumps just starting, kinda rippled up when we finished our day.
Any thinnish areas were well marked, and the few loose rocks were predictably right along the outer edges.
Crowds weren't too bad, pretty much skied right onto the lift after every run, maybe a two or three chair wait every hour or so.
We had a great day, even with 'limited' open terrain. Really good snow, light lift lines, only the occasional crowded slope, depending where in the cycle you were. Patroller on tele even hooked us up with some 1 hour lift pass extensions....thanks a bunch if you're out there dude.
Aaron
January 17, 2005
Member since 01/12/2005 🔗
54 posts
I was there yesterday from 9 am - 7pm. Snow was good, easy to carve in, and by around 3 some really nice bumps had formed on home run, and some bigger ones on exhibition. Pretty much stayed on those runs all day and did a bit of terrain park. It was okay, alot of rails, but jumps were lacking. Coverage was realitvly good, except on the edges of the trails, and torwards the end of the day a few easily avoidable rocks and some ice patches developed.
wojo
January 17, 2005
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
Was at Whitetail 2-7 yesterday. Great time. Homerun was the most interesting I have sen it in 5 years of regular Whitetail skiing.
Rickh
January 17, 2005
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
Just got back, skied mostly exhibition bumps have started to form. Snow was in real good shape considering they just started blowing Friday night. Did get a little icy late, but nothing you couldn't handle. Looks like Bold Decision will open in a day or two. Far side looks like it will take a good portion of the week before it's ready.
langleyskier
January 18, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Thanks for the reports
I went yesterday (monday) and the coverage was nice (but still a few rocks mixed in). They were really blasting the snow on all the non-beginner slopes. The manmade powder was really nice i guess because of the cold the snow was able to become more fluffy when they made it. Overall it was a great day i would really suggest whitetail for anyone who wants to go sometime this week.
ScotS244
January 19, 2005
Member since 01/29/2004 🔗
122 posts
Tomorrow! I'll be there with a couple 'o buds from open to mid day. Wonder if they'll have enough man made by tomorrow morning to open up Farside?
MichaelB
January 19, 2005
Member since 11/20/2000 🔗
61 posts
I just got off the phone with the staff at WT and they say they are shooting for a Saturday opening of Far Side. Groan....I was hoping they would be open tomorrow. I planned to be there for opening bell tomorrow, but I may rethink that now. I skiied WT on MLK day and had a great time. Excellent manmade snow covereage. Some ice underneath the powder - temps stayed in the 20s all day. Noticed some minor difficulties with the highspeed quad again. I asked them and they said that when people grab the chair in front of them and use it to pull them into the loading slot, it pops the timing circuit on the lift and they have to reset it. Definite lack of supervision by staff loading people when it got crowded.
ScotS244
January 19, 2005
Member since 01/29/2004 🔗
122 posts
Thanks for the update Mike. Oh well, two out of three on the backside isn't bad. This will be the first time out to WT for me this year but last year I always went during the first half of the day on a weekday and there was NEVER a crowd. I might go Saturday, but with the Huck Jam thing going on I'll probably just avoid it. Eight days to Jackson Hole.
langleyskier
January 19, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Does anyone think it will be crowded tomorrow?? I have the day off of school and i think i am going to drive up there for the day but am a little worried i wont be the only one with this idea. Do people have the day off work and school or is it only Fairfax County Schools that decided to close for inauguration?

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.