Wisp for MLK
13 posts
4 users
2k+ views
jimmy
January 13, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Wife and I will rendezvous with the kids Friday PM. Planz were made, we'll either ski or rent a couple of wave runners for the weekend. Seriously, checked out the cam and they still have a lot of base left. Anyone heading to Deep Creek for the Holiday?

jimmy
bawalker
January 13, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I'll be up there on Sat. What day are you going?
jimmy
January 14, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Brad-We'll ski there Sat & Sun for sure, maybe drive up to 7S on the way home Monday. Wanna make a plan?

jimmy
tommo
January 14, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
As a long time Wisp patron, you need to expect major crowds this weekend. This will be made even more true because Wisp will have -by far - the best skiing conditions between Snowshoe and New York. You'll have a great time, but plan to arrive early, perhaps take a few hours off (from 1 to 4 ideally) and then return for the evening. If you stay through mid afternoon, you can pretty much count on 10 minute lift lines (or possibly worse.) Your best bets, of course, will be lift #1 (Boulder chair) and the Mainstreet lift. If you really want a nice break mid day, drive over to Canoe On The Run or the Brewpub for lunch. You'll have a great meal and get away from the crowds. By Monday morning, conditions should be awesome!
jimmy
January 14, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Good tips, tommo. Where's canoe on the run?

thanx, jimmy
bawalker
January 14, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Jimmy,

Sure! I'll be the 6'5" boarder with a blue/purple Forum 158 board. I'll be wearing greyish pants along with a white/blue Ocean Pacific coat and my black protec helmet. My friend Brian will be with me as I teach him a bit more about boarding. Well be leaving Wardensville probably around 9:30ish, getting to Wisp around 11 and staying till close.

I learned on New Years Day NOT NOT NOT to take chairs 2+3 but rather use Chair 1 to get to the top, walk across the top to the green trails and go down. No longer did it take me to do that then I was up at the top coming down before I saw some friends even get ON chair 3. It's all about knowing people, their ability and desire to crowd up chairs 2+3 and find alternate ways to maneuver.
jimmy
January 14, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Why don't we try to meet somewhere at noon.

jimmy
bawalker
January 14, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Pending if we don't get killed trying to walk from the parking lot to the ticket window i'm up for that. Thats an insider joke cause on New Years day some jerk didn't stop until the last second and nearly hit me, Brian and his friend Robin as we were walking fom the tennis court area to the ticket window.

Would you like to try and meet on the upper level deck where the picnick tables are above the ticket window around noon?
jimmy
January 14, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
"the upper level deck where the picnick tables are above the ticket window around noon." That's where I'll be. Look forward to meeting you.

jimmy
tommo
January 14, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Looks like the snowmaking army is on the hill and has begun relocating Deep Creek Lake to the Wisp slopes and trails just in time for MLK... BLAST AWAY!!
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 14, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
from a friend onsite:
Winter returned last night / about 30-35 degrees colder than yesterday / received about an inch or so of natural overnight / This weekend embarking on massive snowmaking / All chairlifts, 13 trails and two terrain parks will be open / Bear Claw Snow Tubing Park reopens today at 4 pm.
bawalker
January 15, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Jimmy - I hope you get this before heading to Wisp, but I appologize for not being able to go. My ride and another friend got the flu and left me without a last minute ride. Are you up for next weekend at wisp or even T-Line inbetween? I'm going there on Tues.
jimmy
January 18, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Bawalker, we've got to stop not meeting like this, people are starting to talk. Figured something blew up. I disconnected b/4 i saw your last post. Amazing how many 6'5 guys there were with board boots on the deck sat.

We didn't get started Saturday til about 10:30; wife and kids are like a pack of cub scouts. The trails were ice down the middle, loose granular pushed to the sides but what a beautiful day, sun made it feel like it was 50 out but they made snow all day. Snowguns were on on Squirrel cage and the snow was good there, Mainstreet was loose, bumps & icey. It turned cold Sat night and winter returned on Sunday.

Wisp has a deal for season and multi day pass holders that on weekends you can ride the lifts beginning @ 7:30am. Yup, me and the pack were there ON TIME. The trails were in much nicer shape on Sunday. Wisp moved the mid stations on lift 2-3 uphill since my last visit. Squirrel cage was awesome, huge mounds from snowmaking on left, soft bumps down the middle and packed powder on skiers right. Also took a few runs down Face. It's been a few years and the double pitch when making a right turn was kinda like looking down a chimney.

Tommo's right, these folks can make snow. The place was crowded because of limited terrain, but the lift lines weren't too bad at all. Looks like a day trip to 7S this weekend and then off to TL for most of next week.

jimmy

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.