Three hours or less, best bet Sunday?
15 posts
8 users
1k+ views
MangyMarmot
January 13, 2005
Member since 12/25/2002 🔗
183 posts
Looks like the mercury will sink Friday and on. I NEED to get a day in on Sunday.
Anybody have an inside scoop on which EASILY accessible hill from DC will be best on Sunday.

I was thinking Whitetail (a bit skeptical) or Wisp (hoping it will be better).
I haven't been to any of the other close-in places, and since this is a day trip, won't be going to Snowshoe or Seven Springs.

Thanks for any input.

mm
Roy
January 13, 2005
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I know a lot of places will be cranking up the guns on Friday night so most should be ok. Whatever you do, go early and beat the crowds.
warren
January 13, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
MM,
I was going to go to Whitetail on Sunday with my daughter if (er I mean when... All Hail Ullr, we beseech thee to send thy winter weather our way...) they crank up the guns. I'm planning to get there in the early AM.

-Warren-
tomimcmillar
January 13, 2005
Member since 11/21/2004 🔗
129 posts
I'm also thinking of Whitetail on Sunday, but maybe Roundtop. Plan to be there first thing in the morn.

Preference is WT for the extra vert and the fact that I'll be hitting RT aplenty in the evenings after work. Trying to keep things fresh...
SeaRide
January 13, 2005
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Me, too .. My kids and I are going to Whitetail on Sunday(during MLK wkend). Today after work, we will drive to the cabin in Moorefield WV area.

Friday morning - drive down to Snowshoe WV, ride the mountain, then drive to Davis WV to dine and sleep.

Saturday morning - ride Timberline WV, then drive up to Hagerstown to dine and sleep.

Sunday morning - ride Whitetail PA, then drive to Thurmont to dine and sleep.

Monday morning - ride Liberty PA, then drive home.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 13, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
7 Springs! That would be my choice because they've got the best snowmaking in the region and still have some base.

Timberline is a wildcard. A friend called me today and said there are bare spots everywhere on the mountain. When I left on Sunday, the resort had most of its arsenal on Thunderstruck. If they plan to mainly focus on Thunderstruck rather than re-coating Dew Drop, Sally, and White Lightning, then Timberline will be marginal. Even though the resort does not have the firepower of Snowshoe or 7 Springs, it can still recover quickly from this warm spell if it utilizes its resources properly.
MangyMarmot
January 13, 2005
Member since 12/25/2002 🔗
183 posts
Wow SeaRide,

That's quite a trip. It's like a pub crawl, but a lot more fun, less boozy and no hangover

I never really considered trying to hit a bunch of places on one trip (i live in the district and any trip out seems to be to a remote place, so I can't conceive of the hills being close together).

Have fun. I'll try not to let my rusty legs direct me into anybody's path!

mm
SeaRide
January 13, 2005
237 posts
MangyMarmot,

Yeah, it's something I want to try. Just felt like experimenting something. Some people figure that a day tripper would be to Liberty or Whitetail from DC area. So I figure why not drive no more than 2 hrs each way. e.g. drive to Moorefield is less than 2 hrs from Fairfax.

Not sure how far is the drive from Snowshoe to Davis but that's something I gotta find out.

From Timberline to Hagerstown should not be over 2 hrs, right?
From Whitetail to Thurmont MD should not be over 2 hrs, right?
From Liberty to my home is less than 2 hrs easy.

p.s. forgot to mention one thing. We will have dinner break during the driving so that 2hrs driving won't feel like a long drive.
jimmy
January 13, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
SeaRide, You're right on with the 2 hour thing. Timberline to Snowshoe is 1:45 to 2:00 depending on you know. Neat trip you've got planned there. I've thought about doing something similar in PA. Hope you file a report.

jimmy
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 13, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Quote:

From Timberline to Hagerstown should not be over 2 hrs, right?

It's 1.5 hours from Timberline to Cumberland via 93 & 220 and 1.1 hours from Cumberland to Hagerstown. That 2.6 hours total for that portion of the trip.

Snowshoe to Davis is 2 hours give or take.
warren
January 13, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
SeaRide,
Well, If you see a guy with an Metallic-Orange Giro Helmet, and an Orange Bonfire shell, that'll be me. My daughter will be with me and her helmet matches mine! Also, my skies are Copper colored Noridca W65's. I'll have the DCSki pin on my shell. Maybe I'll see some of you out there Now let's just hope the cold air makes it when they say so they can blow starting on Friday

-Warren-
SeaRide
January 13, 2005
237 posts
Quote:

It's 1.5 hours from Timberline to Cumberland via 93 & 220 and 1.1 hours from Cumberland to Hagerstown. That 2.6 hours total for that portion of the trip.

Hmm.. I was contemplating on going from Timberline to Winchester to Hagerstown (sr93 - sr50 - I81) but again it may be about the same driving time.
SeaRide
January 13, 2005
237 posts
Quote:

SeaRide,
Well, If you see a guy with an Metallic-Orange Giro Helmet, and an Orange Bonfire shell, that'll be me. My daughter will be with me and her helmet matches mine! Also, my skies are Copper colored Noridca W65's. I'll have the DCSki pin on my shell. Maybe I'll see some of you out there Now let's just hope the cold air makes it when they say so they can blow starting on Friday

-Warren-

I will be wearing either Marker red w/ black jacket or Burton light gray w/ red jacket along with Boeri metallic cobalt blue helmet. I ride 163cm Ride Mountain Wide model with pic of rockies mtn on top and bottom in moss green color.
My 16 yr son (about 5'10") and my 13 yr daughter (about 5'8") will be with me. My girlfriend will be either skiing or snowboarding with us on Sunday and Monday.
MichaelB
January 13, 2005
Member since 11/20/2000 🔗
61 posts
Searide,

Wow talk about ambitious. I hope you are in great shape. That's a real marathon! But, if I were you, I would stay in Elkins not Davis. You have to backtrack from Davis to Timberline. Also, it is every bit of 3 hours from Davis to Hagerstown including pitstop.

Why not stop at Wisp on the way and leave out Liberty? That place will be a first class zoo on Monday because of the holiday and Wisp is right off the highway on the way back. I'd do Snow on Friday Timberline Sat. Wisp Sun. and WT Monday.

Just my two cents
SeaRide
January 13, 2005
237 posts
MichaelB

Elkins is not even in the Canaan Valley area. I 'll be staying at Canaan Valley Inn which is in Davis area which is in Canaan valley area where Timberline/Canaan sits.

Short drive from the motel to Timberline in the morning then I drive outta there to Hagerstown which is not far from Whitetail. Wisp is okay but I've decided not to bother with Wisp this time. Maybe next time.

I know Liberty may be crowded on Monday but that's okay because we don't plan being there all day.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?