Italy!
5 posts
3 users
1k+ views
MangyMarmot
January 11, 2005
Member since 12/25/2002 🔗
183 posts
I took one day at Wisp right before Christmas and was looking forward to a bunch of local skiing before traveling... but no such luck.

I picked up some cheap tickets to Italy and am heading out for Val Gardena in two weeks. This time I WILL complete the Sella Ronda, even if it means abandoning my beginner snow-boarder girlfriend!

Of course, once the plans are made, the snow of the century hits Tahoe. What injustice!

Anybody else have some overseas ski plans?

If time is right, I may try to hit Turin to do some reconaissance for next year's winter Olympics. Wouldn't that be sweet? Ski a week in Italy and then be a spectator for a week or two at the Olympics.

mm
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 12, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Have a good trip. Hope you will share some of your impressions when you return and maybe a few choice photos. The Dolomites are incredibly photogenic: http://community.webshots.com/photo/120172984/120176965DafrmB
I hear some parts of Alps are off a little on their snow totals this year, how's Val Gardena doing?
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 12, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
If you take the direct Alitalia flight to Milan from IAD, be advised that the plane they fly has not been refurbished lately. In short, bring some padding for your seat--a polartec will work. Also, MXP airport has a serious bathroom shortage for females. In short, tell your girlfriend not to drink much before departing. Also, be careful of the doors to the stalls, they tend to get stuck. I was stuck in one for 5 minutes before someone finally got me out. "La Dolce Vita" starts after you get out of Milan airport.
MangyMarmot
January 13, 2005
Member since 12/25/2002 🔗
183 posts
Actually, we're flying into Rome for a week down south. Returning from Venice via Amsterdam (actually getting to spend a night there, WOO WOO)

It looks like Val Gardena has decent coverage (that's from their Web site, I haven't found a reliable independent snow condition site).

I just picked up a Sportube, so looking forward to being able to WHEEL the skis around, rather than carry them.

I have to stop being such a Luddite and figure how to load pictures onto computer. Do I need a scanner for that? I get film processed by Seattle Film works and they send me thumbnails via e-mail. But, these are way too small to do justice to Marmolada and rest of Dolomites.

I went to Val Gardena last year and picked up a REALLY useful magazine/brochure that includes maps, positions of various lodging, pricing and other info that's not so readily available on the Internet. I'll pick up a few more copies so if anyone here is interested, I can forward them.

mm
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 13, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Quote:

I just picked up a Sportube, so looking forward to being able to WHEEL the skis around, rather than carry them.mm

If you are taking a train, The 2-pair Sportube is not the most convenient way to move skis in Europe. They don't fit in overhead racks and need to be checked. A single pair Sportube might be better. Cabs also generally can't fit the tube on their ski racks in Europe, forcing you to remove the skis and collapse the Sporttube for trunk storage. Busses are also tough.

I ditched my SportTube last year in favor of a Dakine 2 pair soft bag with wheels. In addition to being lighter and easier to take on public transportation, the Dakine is much easier to load. The Sporttube compels you to put the skis, one on top of the other, and secure them with rubber bands and straps. If you are not familiar with packing a Sportube, it can take a while (so practive before you travel). Also, you usually have to pack these contraptions in the worst spots: airport parking lots.

I don't know if you can still return your Sportube but you might consider the Dakine bag with rollers instead. The Sportube is definitely the safest way to move skis but the logistics of hauling that beast around can get pretty daunting--especially if you are relying heavily on European public transportation.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.