Utah Area reports/websites?
8 posts
6 users
1k+ views
ridenski - DCSki Supporter 
January 10, 2005
Member since 04/11/2004 🔗
82 posts
I'm headed to SLC Thursday and wonder if anyone knows websites or blogs where we can get local knowledge on conditions at the Utah resorts? (Something besides the areas' official websites) I found a good snowboarder site for the Seattle area but haven't come up with much for Utah. I'm wondering how things are at Snowbasin so far this season, what the Alta crowds are like on a Saturday, etc. Crush, any ideas?
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 10, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Suggest you visit Skiutah.com, and the alta site. I have never found the alta site anything less than honest.
The Colonel
Crush
January 10, 2005
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,274 posts
OK it's real quiet right now .... crowds are very, very low and we've had about 6" of fresh every day for about 5 days straight with the same thru thursday. We were a little warm today but temps will drop to the high 20's on the hill after weds. I have been skiing either light-dry or a little heavy-wet powder for days. Local snowpacks are at 150%-180% above average (150% in the north, 180% in the south) so there is no problem with skiing. Good cover everywhere, tree-skking is exceptional, roads are 100% clear for both Park City and Big/Little Cottonwood Canyon.

If you want to take some turns email me at emosel@core.com subject "SKI UTAH" ! See Ya!
twin58
January 10, 2005
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
"good snowboarder site for the Seattle area"

What's the URL?

Thanks.
twin58
January 10, 2005
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
Note in another post I point out that a car is not a necessity.

http://www.rideuta.com/Default.aspx

and go to this link:
http://www.rideuta.com/schedulesAndMaps/routeSchedules/?routeGroupID=8

When I was in SLC, I stayed downtown at the Travelodge, IIRC. I walked about a block to the UTA bus stop, got on, and went to Brighton for my never-ever lesson. I was so nervous. I think the fare was $4 or so.
warren
January 11, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Twin,
I'm a skier and I'v been to Utah the last two years. I keep saying I'm going to take the Never-Ever Snowboarding "Method" class at Brighton. The problem is, there is so much fun terrain for me to ski there (Great Western lift, Millicent lift, etc), I don't want to spend my time on the bunny hill

-Warren-
ridenski - DCSki Supporter 
January 11, 2005
Member since 04/11/2004 🔗
82 posts
Twin, thanks for the information. The Seattle site I found was snowboardseattle.com There's a section on the message board there for reports from all the area places, backcountry trips, and even places further afield (didn't see Liberty mentioned). I was looking for the SLC equivalent mostly out of curiosity. I've learned enough about Utah from reading this board to put together a great trip (thanks to all of you-- I love you guys.....)
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 11, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,987 posts
Not a local Utah board, but you could try www.epicski.com and search their forums for keywords like Alta, Snowbasin, crowds, etc. You'll get tons of info, here's a sample thread:
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=20084&highlight=alta+crowds

If that fails to get exactly what you want, ask your questions in a forum post and you might get feedback from dozen or more Utah locals.

Your timing for your trip is about as good as it gets for tons of snow, Utah has received almost as much as the "once in a century" amounts California has been hit by since the start of the year, and probably dryer quality.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.