wxrisk: widespread eastern snows in february?
4 posts
4 users
1k+ views
Chad
January 10, 2005
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
maybe its like trying to reconcile a horoscope to actual events...but i would say so far that this forecast has been fairly accurate. skip the text and go straight to the maps at the bottom:

http://www.wxrisk.com/weblinks/MAPS.htm

if anything it looks like we may be a little ahead of schedule regarding the possible snowy february.
MichaelB
January 10, 2005
Member since 11/20/2000 🔗
61 posts
Chad,

Unfortunately, if you read wxrisk's weather blogs, you will find that he has issued a very pessimistic overall forecast for the remaining MA winter. The long range models show two factors that are not very encouraging:
1. the Polar Vortex will continue to stay way too far north of the US
2. The NAO will continue to remain positive
Both of these predictors signal a return to warm temps after next weekends cool down that will remain the pattern for the rest of the winter. Short seasonal cool downs followed by way above average warmups. If I owned a MA ski resort, I would be seriously consider creative/alternative sources of revenue right now. To quote DT from wxrisk: "stick a fork in it, winter is done" Sad to say, he is usually right.
jimmy
January 10, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hey Chad, that's looking better! NOAA is predicting single digit lows in Garrett Cty MD & Tucker Cty WV this weekend. Looks like the moons are finally lining up.

jimmy
twin58
January 10, 2005
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
Tonight (Monday, 01-10), Topper Shutt says that next Monday's high will be 18, with a low of 8.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.