Winterplace - Radio Ad clearly Misleading
12 posts
8 users
1k+ views
MadMonk
January 7, 2005
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
Can't remember which station it was but the Winterplace radio ad was talking about how good their manmade snow was by saying it was powdery Colorado quality snow. Look, I'll grant that manmade snow has gotten much, much better over the years. Heck, in some cases (like for durability) it's superior to natural snow. However, it is not powdery, and it definitely not what I would consider "Colorado" quality.

BTW, I know this is a lame topic but with this weather we might as well discuss something.
snowcone
January 7, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Maybe Wintergreen is referring to the snow as it comes out of the blowers ... before it lands on the soggy icy base? The conditions are bad enough, without some weeny overcrowded, overpriced hump (hill is too strong a word) trying to con me. It just p-words me off!
I wonder if we can call them on the truth in advertising bit? How dare they take advantage of our suffering! As I recall the advert doesn't indicate how many runs they have open .. I expect that would be a very interesting number! I mean how much could they have open when even Snowshoe has almost all black and blue runs shut down and Seven Springs is in about the same shape.

BTW .. heard ad on WTOP about as many times per hour as the Melwood one! Me thinks Wintergreen is getting desperate?
snowcone
January 7, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Well, just looked at Wintergreen's web site and the trail report is amazing! Basically 1 long green, 1 short green and 1 short blue. For that they are charging the bargain weekend ticket of $36 instead of $50 ... what a deal!!!

http://www.wintergreenresort.com/ski/ski_report.asp
wgo
January 7, 2005
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Wasn't the original poster referring to Winterplace, not Wintergreen?

Although i agree $36.00 to ski what is currently available at Wintergreen is pretty steep.
MadMonk
January 7, 2005
235 posts
I was referring to Winterplace. I'd like to meet the clown who wrote the copy for that ad. He could talked about their great snowmaking system, but the powdery Colorado description was just too much.

On a similair topic I'd probably get ticked at Snowshoe for advertising a 1500 vertical drop.
tromano
January 7, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Its true snow coming out of a gun is VA is the same as that coming out of the guns in CO. Come on! Everyone in VA know snow doesn't just fall from the sky.
canaanman
January 7, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
actually, if you'd read-up on the snowmaking faq on this site you'd discover that it's entirely possible to make powder. It's just resorts opt not to because it's a waste of snow, energy, resources, and time. Seriously, if it's low humidity cold day and you make the snow mixture very dry (ie, a lot of cold air, almost no water) you will make powder.
Ullr
January 10, 2005
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Quote:

I was referring to Winterplace.

That's strange, I just heard an ad on the radio for Wintergreen that stated that they had colorado powder too!
TOMF
January 10, 2005
Member since 11/17/2003 🔗
60 posts
My son got a watch for Christmas that also measures the altitude. It indicated that the vertical on SS's Western Territory is indeed 1,500 feet.

Tom
MadMonk
January 10, 2005
235 posts
Sorry, I meant to say if I was a beginner I'd probably get a bit ticked at Snowshoe for advertising the 1500 vertical
JR
January 10, 2005
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
No, if you were a beginner at snowshoe you'd go over there anyway and have nothing to complain about other than all the good skiers getting in your way Sorry, didn't mean to get that started again :P
MadMonk
January 10, 2005
235 posts
Only if it was a holiday weekend when all the fresh snow had been blown off and the western territory surface was bulletproof.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?