Anyone interested in chasing the pow this weekend?
8 posts
7 users
1k+ views
powderpig
January 4, 2005
Member since 12/5/2003 🔗
63 posts
Wednesday Night > Sunday Night
Jet Blue to Sacramento $270
Get to Tahoe right before the dumping starts, leave when its ending. At this point its just me and Im not crazy about braving a storm like this alone on the road. Check out the report and shoot me an email if youre interested. gottajiboo at hotmail.

Check it out...
Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

...GREATER LAKE TAHOE AREA-GREATER RENO-CARSON CITY-MINDEN AREA-LASSEN- EASTERN PLUMAS-EASTERN SIERRA COUNTIES- MINERAL AND SOUTHERN LYON COUNTIES-MONO-NORTHERN WASHOE COUNTY- SURPRISE VALLEY CALIFORNIA- WESTERN NEVADA BASIN AND RANGE INCLUDING PYRAMID LAKE- 300 PM PST TUE JAN 4 2005
... ANOTHER POWERFUL WINTER STORM POSSIBLE BY THIS WEEKEND OVER THE EASTERN SIERRA AND EXTREME WESTERN NEVADA...

A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM OFF THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA COAST IS FORECAST TO MOVE ONSHORE THURSDAY NIGHT BRINGING AREAS OF RAIN AND SNOW TO WESTERN NEVADA AND THE EASTERN SIERRA. SNOW LEVELS COULD INITIALLY START OUT ABOVE THE VALLEY FLOORS THURSDAY NIGHT BUT WILL DROP ON FRIDAY AS A COLD FRONT APPROACHES THE AREA.

AN INTENSE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP OFF THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST COAST BY FRIDAY NIGHT WHILE ABUNDANT PACIFIC MOISTURE AND A STRONG JET STREAM PUSHES INTO THE SIERRA. THIS WEATHER PATTERN WOULD BE FAVORABLE FOR PRODUCING A PROLONGED PERIOD OF HEAVY SNOWFALL IN THE SIERRA AND INTO THE VALLEYS OF NORTHEAST CALIFORNIA AND EXTREME WESTERN NEVADA. THIS PATTERN WOULD BE SIMILAR TO THE DECEMBER 30 AND 31 SNOWSTORM... WITH SEVERAL FEET OF SNOW ACCUMULATION LIKELY IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE SIERRA. IN THE VALLEYS AND FOOTHILLS... SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATION IS ALSO POSSIBLE ESPECIALLY IN AREAS WEST OF HIGHWAY 395.

PEOPLE PLANNING TRAVEL IN THE SIERRA OR WESTERN NEVADA LATER THIS WEEK AND INTO THE WEEKEND SHOULD MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ON THIS POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS WEATHER SITUATION. DRIVING CONDITIONS MAY BE COMPLICATED BY EXISTING HEAVY SNOW COVER IN THE VALLEYS OF WESTERN NEVADA AND NORTHEAST CALIFORNIA. PREPARATIONS FOR THIS STORM SHOULD BE COMPLETED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 5, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
It's amazing what's going on out there in California. Apparently even the mtns way down by LA are getting bombed. But Tahoe is ridiculous! It's one thing to enjoy a fresh Eastern-style 12" snowfall, but 6-9' in three days like they had last weekend is too much, turning the roads into a hazardous gridlock and accompanied by whiteout conditions and 100 mph wind gusts that close many lifts. That kind of intensity is very foreign to most of us mid-Atlantic types and takes the pursuit of powder to a new level. Did you hear that they had an INBOUNDS avalanche at Sugarbowl that nearly got some people killed? Hate to sound wimpy, but some caution until the snow settles and the roads clear might be in order.

Now that I've scared you off, I've got a flight booked into Sacramento for $198

...except I don't fly until March.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 5, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I'm thinking of taking an extended weekend over the inauguration period and driving to Stowe with my wife. For two people, the car is still the cheapest alternative. Because of its extreme northerly location, it looks like Stowe may get some decent snowfall over the next two weeks, although I'm always a bit concerned about VT in January. It's either cold as heck or rainy and icy.

Can anyone suggest the best driving route to Stowe?
powderpig
January 5, 2005
Member since 12/5/2003 🔗
63 posts
Jim-

You definitely havent scared me off, have you ever seen the snow plows they use out in Tahoe? Theyre monsters that look capable of clearing an entire eastern storm in one pass. At any rate, I dont think this storm is supposed to hit as hard as the last with only 3 to 4 feet. My fear is not necessarily driving around up there as I would definitely rent something 4WD but driving around up there alone. Im not that familiar with the area and a blizzard always makes things look different. I guess Im just a chicken but at one point last night I was considering renting an SUV and doubling it as my hotel room, just park at the base of Kirkwood and let it snow! Doesnt look like I have any takers on the big plan but a friend told me he could go on Sunday > Wednesday so I guess theres still hope. Im just concerned that the basin will be snowed in by then and Ill be snowed out rather than snowed in...and thats never good. Still time to change your mind and head up this weekend...you know you want to! <- Guess now Im a pusher too!

Jonesin' for pow...
-Pig
JR
January 5, 2005
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
Quote:

Now that I've scared you off, I've got a flight booked into Sacramento for $198

...except I don't fly until March.

Sorry Jim, but from the looks fof it they'll be getting nothing but rain there in March. The jet stream is making a major turn around and WV is expecting upwards of 6 - 9 avalanche esque feet of snow every 2 to 3 days in February and March, leaving the west with 60 degrees and rainy.
jimmy
January 5, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

[ The jet stream is making a major turn around and WV is expecting upwards of 6 - 9 avalanche esque feet of snow every 2 to 3 days in February and March, leaving the west with 60 degrees and rainy.

I'll bring my Howitzer, we'll go on an avalanche, salamander, flying rodent and powder hunting trip. Yeah, we'll hijack a couple of Humvees from WV National Guard to make sure we get in, lots of food, water & beverage to make sure we don't have to leave until our work's done, first weekend in April. Anyone out there have avalanche training?

We'll set up base camp in johnfmh's front yard, bring your camo carharts so we'll know friend from foe. Don't forget your back country gear, maybe we'll find time to poach Job Knob and MPC. Any telemark instructors out there? Yeah, we'll skin up to the statue of andy on MPC and have a bonfire and dine on salamander tail and budweiser. Beats beans and weiners any day.

jimmy
autonomicpilot
January 5, 2005
Member since 01/5/2005 🔗
2 posts

Hey folks,

Powderpig is a buddy of mine...The current plan is to head out to Tahoe on Sunday night, Pig's got all of the details and numbers worked out. We need extra headz (one and all) to balance out the cost, and increase the fun factor.

Especially calling all Reggae women who want to get their boogie on...I encourage you to join us on this adventure. No application necessary, just be smokin hot and have a complete disregard for fear...

Mike

JohnL
January 5, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
JimK,

When it snows in the Tahoe area, they measure it in feet. It's feast or famine out there. I was lucky enough to catch a series of storms at Squaw a decade ago; 8+ feet in four days. They also had plenty of inbounds avalanches during the first (or second?) day of the storm; all of Squaw was closed by 3 PM due to slides. Even the moderate slopes were sliding. With all the inbounds avi control they do, it's incredibly rare for slides to occur; normally it's when there's a lot of new snow on an icy base. Nice try of scaring away PowderPig to get the freshies for yourself.

Pig & Pilot,
Drop off the Reggae women in Utah on your way back; I'll be there Jan 15-22. If I hadn't already booked my Utah trip, I'd prolly join you two. Make sure some of the snow makes it over the Sierras to the Wasatch.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?