Where to ski -Query from English Visitor
5 posts
4 users
Deefor
January 4, 2005
Member since 01/4/2005 🔗
2 posts
I'm hoping to have a free weekend in Washington DC in early Feb and would like to use it skiing. As an experienced skier in both European resorts and Utah ski resorts - any suggestions where / how to ski from Washington DC.
Are there local resorts which have black runs for 3 days of sking or would I be better to consider a package to East coast or to Rockies/Wasatch?
Thanks
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 4, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
There are a number of options.
Assuming our local conditions improve and you want to stay within a reasonable (3 hours) car ride of DC, I would suggest two days at Seven Springs followed by a day at Blue Knob (both in southwestern PA). Seven Springs would provide some guaranteed decent conditions, Blue Knob would provide some challenging black diamond terrain if Mother Nature provides a little help. You would probably want to overnight near these resorts rather than return to DC each night.
If you want to day trip it from DC I would suggest a day or two each at Liberty and Whitetail, both about 90 mins from DC in southern PA.
If you want to get more ambitious - fly out of DC to Burlington, VT and ski at Stowe or Sugarbush or fly to Salt Lake City and take your pick in UT.
Deefor
January 4, 2005
Member since 01/4/2005 🔗
2 posts
Thanks - quick reply, helpful and concise!
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
January 4, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
If you want to satisfy curiosity or just want to build your ski resume we'd love to have you. But bear in mind that we ski here because we live here. We make the best of what we have and have fun, but it is not going to compare with Europe or Utah.
langleyskier
January 4, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Yes, if you are going to attempt skiing in the mid atlantic you have to remember that it will not even a little compare to resorts in europe or out west. And denis is right--we all ski here because we have few other options. If the weather has been cold and the resorts have been able to build up a sufficient base with manmade snow you will have good conditions and if you travel to West Virginia or Pennsylvania you might find very good conditions. But do not come to the resorts around here thinking you will find large mountains with a minimum base of snow over two feet.
I am not at all trying to bash the local resorts i love whitetail for their efforts to keep open even in the worst conditions and offer the best they can. I have had many great days at the local resorts but just do your research before you come to make sure conditions are respectable.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.