The Curse of General Mellon
33 posts
16 users
6k+ views
hockeydave
January 3, 2005
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
It just figures... Laurel Mtn was closed last year and the snowfall & weather conditions couldn't have been better. Now that LM is open and 7 Springs is operating it this year and most likely conditional operation next year depending on '04-'05 profit, the weather flat out stinks. Here's hoping that a rapid return to typical Western PA mountain weather occurs soon or the wonderful ski gem may not see the light of day for '05-'06.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 3, 2005
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Yeah! And how about the guy who bought the place at auction last year. He died 2 weeks later and the deal was never consumated. Maybe the place is cursed.
JohnL
January 3, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Well, The Curse of the Bambino finally fell last year. Maybe The Curse of General Mellon will bite the dust in the second half of this ski season ...

If not, we'll be stuck with it, along with The Curse of the Billygoat, The Curse of Lord Stanley's Cup and The Curse of King Tut.
Mountain Masher
January 4, 2005
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
Keep in mind that mild Winters often come in pairs just as cold and snowy Winters are likely to come in pairs. So, there's a pretty good chance that next ski season (2005-2006) will also be mild.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Scott - DCSki Editor
January 4, 2005
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Quote:

Keep in mind that mild Winters often come in pairs just as cold and snowy Winters are likely to come in pairs. So, there's a pretty good chance that next ski season (2005-2006) will also be mild.

Mountain Masher, for some reason, every time I read a post of yours, I'm reminded of Rachel Dratch's "Debbie Downer" character on Saturday Night Live.
Mountain Masher
January 4, 2005
541 posts
Hi Scott, I agree that my posts have been a little on the negative side, but lets look at my record. 1) I was correct when, in the very beginning, I stated that there was NO sale of Blue Knob ski area. 2) So far, I have been proven correct when I predicted (last Fall, no less) that this would be a MILD Winter. 3) It now looks like I will be proven correct when I stated that Whitetail's ski season would be limited to 2 months (excluding extremely limited conditions). I'll take 3 for 3 any day of the week, even at the risk of sounding a bit negative. However, I believe that I'm a realist not a pessimist.
Roger Z
January 4, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
What you said last October MM was that the winter would be likely to be determined on whether November was colder or warmer than normal. Later you said there was a chance for it to be slightly above normal. You didn't call for a season-wash until December sometime, and now you're retrofitting your increasingly dyspeptic pronouncements to try to say you were correct. You're still not *correct* about the length of Whitetail's ski season, which puts you at best at 1 or 1 1/2 for 3, certainly not batting 1.000. For someone who looks so askance at the rest of the world you certainly have a way of seeing only the best in yourself.
Mountain Masher
January 4, 2005
541 posts
Roger, I believe that you're taking things from my posts out of context in an effort to discredit and attack me! What about my statement that there was NO sale of Blue Knob (listed as item #1 in my previous post), which was later proven to be 100% correct???? You didn't even bother to address that statement (and give specific credit) because (in my opinion) your motive has always been to discredit me. And, I think that if you look at the sum total (not out of context) of my weather related posts, I have been at least close to the truth much of the time. Anyway Roger, thanks for giving me 1 to 1 1/2 out of 3.
JR
January 4, 2005
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
So, how about that weather...
Mountain Masher
January 4, 2005
541 posts
Really, it's a real "downer" for all of us skiers and boarders (and, perhaps even Debbie Downer and MM Downer) in the mid-Atlantic. When I picked up my 7-Springs season pass in Dec., I took the $50 Laurel Mt. upgrade. Now, I'm not so sure that I'll even get to ski Laurel all that much. My best guess is that, before Jan. ends, some cold Canadian air will make a run at the mid-Atlantic. However, I fear that the large warm air mass (that seems to be dominating our weather) will push any cold air North of the PA-NY border within 4 or 5 days after the arrival of an "Alberta Clipper". Perhaps each cold spell will last long enough for most ski areas to put some base down again.
RobertW
January 4, 2005
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
199 posts
I fear that unless someone invests in snowmaking for the entire existing terrain at Laurel, they just won't get the attendance numbers needed to survive. Taking advantage of my $50 7SP pass upgrade last week, I skied Laurel Tuesday and Thursday. On Thursday there couldn't have been more than 30 people the first hour of operation and when I left at about 3:30, there were only about 120 cars in the lot. Not that I'm complaining about small crowds and no "bombers" but this area ain't gonna make it with holiday "crowds" like that. All the trails covered by snowmaking were covered and groomed to 7SP usual standards but this only gives you 2 real ways down (Broadway and Wildcat) plus a few short beginer trails (Upper Innsbruck, Tamecat, Lynx, Last Chance, Deer Path). I sure would like to see 7 Springs run this place long term (I beleive the potential terrain here is superior to the "Great Western" expansion at 7 Springs) but with 7 Springs in the midst of their own long range expansion plan, are they really going to want to spend the money needed to make Laurel profitable?

To be honest, the reason that we are having a mild winter has nothing to do with a curse. I bought a snowblower this year
SkiBumMSP
January 4, 2005
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

To be honest, the reason that we are having a mild winter has nothing to do with a curse. I bought a snowblower this year

No no no! It is because I bought new skis this year!

Seriously, when I was at 7-springs the day after Christmas, I've overheard a couple of folks asking employees if it was possible or there were plans to operate a shuttle service between 7-Springs and Laurel. Maybe not necessarily a "free" shuttle, but something, for maybe $5-$10 round-trip between the two. Think about it. Spend a weekend at Seven Springs. Would be nice to ski at SS for the first day, and then perhaps hop the shuttle to Laurel to check it out for 1/2 day or so.

Due to the relatviely close approximaty to Seven Springs, Hidden Valley, and Laurel, it would be sweet if all these resorts got together to help sponser a shuttle service between all of them.
Mountain Masher
January 4, 2005
541 posts
I believe that 7-Springs is taking a wait-and-see approach on Laurel Mt. Among other things, they might be waiting to see what ultimately happens to Blue Knob. Should BK close for good, which certainly isn't completely out of the question, skiers and boarders from the greater Altoona area would then head over to Laurel, which is somewhat closer (especially drive-time) to Altoona than 7-Springs. With most of the Altoona business (in addition to a number of skiers and boarders from other locations), Laurel would probably turn a nice profit paving the way for snowmaking improvements and slope expansion.
myrto
January 4, 2005
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
but nooooooo everyone wanted to be fair
Mountain Masher
January 4, 2005
541 posts
myrto, aside from what appears to be a different understanding of the Freedom of Speech aspect of our American values (generally extended to posters on most internet forums), WHY do you think that I should be banned???? And, if possible, please be very specific. Banning a member from a forum is a radical idea. Why, pray tell, do you feel that it's necessary in my case? I'd REALLY like to know, perhaps I can learn something from your reasoning and wisdom. I'm always looking to learn something new. I'm a graduate from Proctor Academy, Andover, NH, where our motto was: "Live to learn, learn to live". I was also on the Proctor ski team and have worked for a major US ski area in a management position. And, I remain close friends with the general manager of a well known US ski area.
Roger Z
January 4, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Quote:

Roger, I believe... your motive has always been to discredit me.

Now you're 1 1/2 out of 4.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 4, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
MM,
Let me jump in here. I usually just skip over your posts now-a-days because thay are all so negative. In fact, I feel even more strongly, I simply do not want even see one of your posts...they are just too negative! And that's really too bad, because you do have some thoughts to contribute, etc. I especially do not want to read any post from you about Blue Knob. I am a true senior skier and have skied in these parts for nearly 35 years, and I have sometimes enjoyed Blue Knob, but always marvelled at the never realized potential for greatness because of a series of miserable owners and managers.
Please, I have read way too many times about the logging, the rocky trails, the lack of grass, the enviornmental impact, etc.. I just want to read about skiing and let others, like you report on it. You always rant about the logging at Blue Knob, but frankly you are so emotionally envolved that you "can't seem to see the forest for the trees"!! ENOUGH ALREADY!!
The Colonel
RobertW
January 4, 2005
199 posts
Personally, I think censorship of someone who is seemingly polite and intelligent just because you don't agree with them is out of the question. I have participated in too many Boards that are run by a small clique of insiders. If you don't tow the line, you are out. I don't think that is the case here. IMHO, if someone annoys you on a board like this (and they don't meet the definition of an obscene, slandering Troll) just ignore them. Despite the negativity, there is a lot of insight to be found in MM's posts. That said, a positive post now and then wouldn't hurt
RobertW
January 4, 2005
199 posts
Back on topic....is anyone interested in seeing some pictures from Thursday at Laurel? If not, I won't bother posting them.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 4, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Bring 'em on!!! Why not start a new thread?!
The Colonel
Scott - DCSki Editor
January 4, 2005
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Everyone is welcome here.. So let's try to drop this and move on to more positive subjects. Like the oodles of natural snow we'll be getting throughout February..
Mountain Masher
January 5, 2005
541 posts
In terms of natural snow, Snowshoe and Canaan Valley should receive about 4 feet during the months of Feb. and Mar.! Hopefully, the mid-Atlantic will get a dose of the white stuff before the end of Jan., which will be the start of a snowy mid to late Winter through early Spring.
JR
January 5, 2005
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
Well done MM
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
January 5, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
What is the curse of Lord Stanley's Cup? I grew up playing hockey in the Boston area and never heard of it.
JR
January 5, 2005
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
It has something to do with corporate america coming in and ruining the sport with a union and franchises in Arizona.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 5, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Since DCSki is creating a curse of General Mellon, I thought I would find out something about the man:

http://fdncenter.org/grantmaker/rkmellon/history.html

Interestingly enough, saving Laurel for skiing would fit into the the goals of the Mellon Foundation. 7 Springs may want to approach that foundation for funding upgrades at Laurel. Just a thought.
myrto
January 5, 2005
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
Just kiddin u there eeore. Relax!!!! it's a long journey
tromano
January 5, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Quote:

In terms of natural snow, Snowshoe and Canaan Valley should receive about 4 feet during the months of Feb. and Mar.! Hopefully, the mid-Atlantic will get a dose of the white stuff before the end of Jan., which will be the start of a snowy mid to late Winter through early Spring.

My god! A positive post!!! Good on ya MM! I knew you could do it!
JohnL
January 5, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

What is the curse of Lord Stanley's Cup? I grew up playing hockey in the Boston area and never heard of it.

You're probably more familiar with the curse of Bobby Orr's knees.

JR is on the right track. The Curse of Lord Stanley's Cup is a curse I invented that explains why there is no hockey the year after a team from Florida beat a team from Canada to win the Cup.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
January 6, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Aha. Makes perfect sense.

There is a joke about the Bruins fan who dies and goes to heaven. The first thing he sees is a hockey player with a Bruins jersey with #4 on the back. Startled he turns to St. Peter and says, "I didn't know that Bobby Orr had died." "Oh, he didn't. That's God. He just thinks he's Bobby Orr."
warren
January 6, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
MM,
OK, I'm going to hold you to that! Bring it on!!

-Warren-
Mountain Masher
January 6, 2005
541 posts
myrto, yeah, I know that you were kidding....I was kinda asking for it anyway. Right now, I know we're all hoping that the weather will change so that we can salvage this ski season in the mid-Atlantic. If things don't start looking up, I might try to plan some sort of extended trip out West.
mrhazmat
January 6, 2005
Member since 12/7/2000 🔗
47 posts
Good Suggestion!! Hey, let's all go out to Tahoe mid-march and hang out. Going to Heavenly 13 Mar for a week
and last I heard they have recieved 4 ft. After a dismal trip to 7 Springs this might be just what the Dr. ordered. No matter what, that kind of snow/base will still be there when I arrive. Any takers??

Later,
Doug

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.