If I understand your description of the damage correctly, it is a really minor matter.
Items needed: sturdy cigarette lighter, Ptex candle, steel scraper.
For a rough idea of the process, see the first three pictures here
. Now, the procedure shown there is basically correct except that the flame of the candle is shown as -orange-, when in fact you want the candle almost next the base (no big drips) and, using the metal scraper in the other hand, you control the flame so that it is -blue-. Orange is BAD because it means little flakes of soot are going into your base, and they don't bond very well at all.
Using the same scraper (wood finishing shops might have good ones if you don't have a ski one ), scrape off the cool ptex down to flat.
Up to you if you want to base grind at New Year's; you may think about talking to a different sales clerk.
EDIT: Careful with the drips (use the scraper to catch them), they are much hotter than molten wax and can seriously burn skin even with a pinhead-size blob.