New route to 7S.
5 posts
3 users
1k+ views
tromano
December 20, 2004
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
I tried a new route to 7S this weekend. It was very succesfula nd I wanted to recomend it. The route we took was:

I-70W to
I-68W to
Rt 219N to
State Rt 653W to New Centerville
Continue Northwest and Follow Signs to Laurel Hill St. Pk
Past Park to 7S.

Note on the route: The route was poorly marked on Rt 653. At somepoints it is confusing where the road leads as there is a 653 and a 653 truck route. There were no signs for 7S until you get to New centerville. Follow the signage to the statepark, 7S is on the same road. We actualyl had no problems getting there. The route is very easy to drive. There is no truck trafic, in fact no trafic at all on I-68. You cross the Aleghaney front on 68 (Teh easiest crossign there is IMO, besides the tunnel). It is better than the TPK because: No trucks, no tolls, the exits on to / off of the turnpike are as confusing as the backraods, and I-70 between Hancock and Breezwood is a very bad road IMO.

Recomended for people who hate the turn pike. Not recomeneded for theose with out good map reading skills / no GPS. I have no GPS but am good with maps.
Coach13
December 20, 2004
Member since 12/16/2003 🔗
56 posts
How much longer (time wise) did you find this route to take vs TP via Rt. 70? My guess is it would add some serious time to the trip. I grew up near Cumberland so I'm real familier with the 219n route from there. I've just never driven it from the DC area.
tromano
December 20, 2004
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Coach,

It was about the same time I thought. It took me 4 hours. We were out the door at 7AM and out of the car at 11AM. there was 1 stop for Gas where we got off of I-68. There is a small grocery at that exit as well (conveninent if someone was going to a condo). I think it usually takes me maybe 3:45 the other way with the requisiste gas stop. The thing is that the route is probably shorter in total length but with slightly more (15 miles more) of back roads driving as opposed to I-70 all the way. I would have to really time it out precisely to be sure though. I tend to stop for gas frequesntly in the winter. --Tim
Coach13
December 20, 2004
Member since 12/16/2003 🔗
56 posts
I'll have to take a look at it myself, as I'm heading to Western MD on Sunday to visit with the folks. No question it's a much prettier and relaxing drive than the TP route.
gatkinso
December 20, 2004
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
When I go to 7S from my folks place in Cumberland, I take MD36 to MD47 (which becomes PA160). You can then backroad it to Meyersdale (follow the signs from 160) and catch 653.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?