Timberline 12/19 report
11 posts
7 users
1k+ views
Kahuna613
December 19, 2004
Member since 11/20/2003 🔗
56 posts
Headed up to Timberline at about 6 this morning. Weather was nice until around Seneca Rocks...starting snowing, but not very hard until up in the valley. Only Silver Streak and White Lightning were open, plus a few small things at the bottom. Snow got real heavy around 130. Is the 60" base listed on the snow report a complete joke? Grass (and some bare spots) was poking out of all the slopes that weren't open, except for Salamander, which appeared to have usurped all the snowguns. And I can't imagine a 5 ft base anywhere on the mt. Silver Streak had lots of snow, but after enough people went down it, grass spots started to show through and I think I felt a rock. But it was a good trip, and the Timberline people were kind enough to let me use their phone when mine died (as did my car battery...). College Days are def. worth it, and there were no lift lines today either.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 20, 2004
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
You're hardcore Kahuna, to make that drive solo for a one day visit. I'm proud of ya!
jimmy
December 20, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Way to go Kahuna, first turns of the year, no matter what it takes. Did you end up solo?
jb714
December 20, 2004
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Kahuna, you 'Da Man' to do that trip in one day. I considered responding to your post for a companion on your trip, but the wife put the brakes on that idea.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 20, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Quote:

Headed up to Timberline at about 6 this morning. Weather was nice until around Seneca Rocks...starting snowing, but not very hard until up in the valley. Only Silver Streak and White Lightning were open, plus a few small things at the bottom. Snow got real heavy around 130. Is the 60" base listed on the snow report a complete joke? Grass (and some bare spots) was poking out of all the slopes that weren't open, except for Salamander, which appeared to have usurped all the snowguns. And I can't imagine a 5 ft base anywhere on the mt. Silver Streak had lots of snow, but after enough people went down it, grass spots started to show through and I think I felt a rock. But it was a good trip, and the Timberline people were kind enough to let me use their phone when mine died (as did my car battery...). College Days are def. worth it, and there were no lift lines today either.

Where else in the region can you get 1000 feet of vert for $13 bucks? Timberline may have had limited terrain open this weekend but what was open was a lot of fun....
JohnL
December 20, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Is Upper Silver Streak a natural-snow trail or does management occasionally point the snow guns on it? I realize that Silver Streak is likely to catch some of the man-made snow being made on Upper White Lightning.
December 20, 2004
1,986 posts
Quote:

Is Upper Silver Streak a natural-snow trail or does management occasionally point the snow guns on it? I realize that Silver Streak is likely to catch some of the man-made snow being made on Upper White Lightning.

Mostly snow blown over from snowmaking WL plus natural. I'm 90 percent positive that T-line does not aim its guns at that slope.

BTW, I saw two Tele NSP skiers making turns on Upper Thunderdraft. There was barely enough natural to do it but they did it.
Kahuna613
December 20, 2004
Member since 11/20/2003 🔗
56 posts
I actually have never spent the night in Canaan Valley! I always wake up at 6 and arrive back in DC at 8. I have to borrow a car since I dont have one here on campus and I don't have the extra money for a hotel. Driving it alone wasn't the best (although I always drive both ways, even if people are with me), but it was nice to spend a day alone/away from school and finals. This is my fourth day trip to Timberline. I had never even been to Davis until yesterday, just cuz I wanted to scope out hotels for a weekend later in the spring. But it def. was nice to get out for the first time. Conditions were pretty good, ESP. for $13. John, I saw those telemarkers too; I was surprised since there were some pretty bare spots. All the snow on that trail felt natural, its too narrow (I think) to really direct any snow directly on it without it going into the woods.

PS: if I ever have a chance to go again (to anywhere close enough for a daytrip) and my friends can't go I'll see if i can round up some DC Skiers....
JohnL
December 20, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

Mostly snow blown over from snowmaking WL plus natural.

That's what I thought. The time I skied T-Line last year, the coverage on Upper Silver Streak was pretty impressive for a "pure" natural snow trail. I bet it gets a lot of blow-in from WL.

Did you get a chance to try out your 6-Stars on Silver Streak? It would be a good measure of how you like the skis in short fall-line turns.
December 20, 2004
1,986 posts
Quote:

Did you get a chance to try out your 6-Stars on Silver Streak? It would be a good measure of how you like the skis in short fall-line turns.

John, You are kidding me I hope. Do think I am going to risk the bases on that trail this early in the season??? I still have my old skis for "rock skiing." T-line really does have a 30-30 inch base on the groomers, so those slopes were safe for my new boards.

Kahuna, check out this comprehensive list of local lodging options:

http://www.whitegrass.com/accommodations.html

Also, Blackwater Lodge has some good early and late season deals for rooms. See this link for details:

http://www.blackwaterfalls.com/rates.htm

The colleges in DC really need to run a weekly RT ski bus. Heck, I'd take it rather than always having to drive, and I graduated from college a long time ago.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 20, 2004
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
If the issue is money (no offense but I was a student once too) the campground at Canaan Valley State Park is an easy & inexpensive way to lodge there for a weekend. I used to go with a bunch of young friends when I first started to tele. I met these folks one time and they were a lot of fun so we'd go on trips together. At the time (~1990) it was $6/night campground fee and you could use all the facilities of the lodge. So we'd set up tents, go to the pool or hot tub, catch a ski movie and hang around the lodge til 11 or so then dash for our tents. It was particularly nice from mid March on when the good spring skiing comes and the nights are not too cold. Glad I wasn't there last night.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?