Should I take another lesson?
11 posts
6 users
3k+ views
janej
December 19, 2004
Member since 09/20/2004 🔗
42 posts
I learned ski late. Started when I was 26, then took a few years off when the kids were too young. We started again last year when my younger son turned 5. I just looked at "Rate your ability" on the 7 springs web site and decided I am between level 3 and 4 by their standard. I can parallel skiing on green slopes. I really enjoy the greens and have no desire for speed and challenge. It must be my age. Should I still take another lesson this year?
Crush
December 19, 2004
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
YES
Roy
December 19, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
jane you should definitely take a lesson. Everyone should. Ok I'm a little biased because I'm a ski instructor but that's why I offer that advice.

Quote:

I can parallel skiing on green slopes. I really enjoy the greens and have no desire for speed and challenge.

This should not affect your decision to take a lesson. I think that's great that you know your limits. But there are still things you could improve on I'm sure. Next time you ski, ask yourself: "Did I ski as long as I'd like to? Which muscles are sore?" An instructor can help you with these answers.
janej
December 19, 2004
42 posts
Hi Roy,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Would you recommend a group or private lesson? For our ski trip, the rates are group lesson $15/1.5 hour, private lesson $45/hour. The reason I am considering group lesson is I'd like to take lesson with my kids. They would refuse to go if I want them to go by themselves.

Thanks,

Jane
LordHedgie
December 19, 2004
Member since 12/1/2004 🔗
49 posts
If you're absolutely going to take a lesson with your five year old, then you'll probably want a private lesson. I doubt you and your kid are close enough in skill to be placed in the same group and both be able to learn anything.

Also, I can't speak for 7S, but a lot of resorts don't allow kids that young in groups -- make sure you check before you go!
Roy
December 20, 2004
609 posts
Liberty would not let a 5 year old in a regular group lesson either. They would need to go to our Children's Learning Center. But as a private, you can be in a lesson together. Liberty has a "Ski with Me" lesson which is designed for parents and children. The instructor will focus on teaching the parent how to ski with their child, as well as giving pointers to both. It is a cheaper option than two private lesson.
janej
December 29, 2004
42 posts
I am back! I purchased a private lesson ticket but ended up with a level 3 group lesson because no instructor was available in the morning. I had the best instructor. I learned so much and felt so much better afterwards that I booked my son a private lesson with him. My six year old had the worst first day. He cried and refused to try anything. Second day was a little better. He went up with us and enjoyed the view of the lost boy trail. He refused to let his skis run though. We were all freezing cold afterwards. He had the private lesson first thing on the 3rd day. What a difference! He competely turned around and led us all through the lost boy trail 3 times nonstop. I had hard time trying to catch up with him. His instructor Larry is his new hero. Thanks a lot for talking me into taking another lesson.

Ask for Larry Cohen if you want to take a lesson at 7 Springs.
Roy
December 30, 2004
609 posts
jane I'm glad to hear that everything worked out well for you. That excitement is one of the goals we try to foster.

As for your son, I'm glad to see that you and he were patient enough to make it to the 3rd day. If I read correctly, the first 2 days you were trying to teach him. It is very difficult to teach your kids or spouse (girlfriend, etc.). Even as an instructor, I can't teach my wife.

I know lessons can get expensive but I think it's a good idea to take a couple each year.
janej
December 30, 2004
42 posts
Yeah. I tried very hard with my son. I almost gave up a few times. On the 3rd day, I was about to let him watch TV in the hotel with others. I decided the private lesson was the last thing I would try on him. I wish I knew how fast he could learn from the right person. Oh well, at least he enjoyed the last day, and is very eagar to go back.
warren
January 11, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Jane,
I can also attest to how important the proper instruction is! I started my daughter at 4 (she's now 9). The very first day was in the ski-and-play program at Canaan Valley. The PSIA folks know what they're doing and make it fun for them from the start! I know how to ski, not how to TEACH someone to ski. Anyway, now she's a level 5+ skier (same as I) and we shred the mountain together It's a trip to be cruising the WHOLE mountain (Blacks, Double-Blacks at Snowshoe) with her. Cross-cross our tracks to make those hour-glass shapes in the snow Spending the money on the lessons (and She and I still take them) was the BEST thing I've done

-Warren-
KevR
January 20, 2005
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
I take at least one "refresher" every yr even though I started skiing when i was a teenager and now have managed to crest... well never mind but lets just say it always nice to have an independent eye -- find a good instructor of course. Helps to have properly fitting boots, tuned, shaped skis.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.