Any word on 7S conditions.
15 posts
8 users
2k+ views
tromano
December 17, 2004
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
I am at 7S this weekend and I want to know if my rock skis or my nice skis should be in the car... Any word on condtions?

Thanks!
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 18, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Quote:

I am at 7S this weekend and I want to know if my rock skis or my nice skis should be in the car... Any word on condtions?

Thanks!

Quick post before I head up to Timberline. You can take your regular skis. The trails at 7 Springs are very clean and generally have superb cover on opening day thanks to their high-capacity snowmaking system. 7 Springs ROCKS. You'll have a good time. Next to Snowshoe, it's th ebest bet in town this weekend.

http://news.alpinezone.com/2610/
Mountain Masher
December 18, 2004
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
There's never any problems with rocks at 7-Springs! Although 7-Springs doesn't have the challenge that some ski areas in the Mid-Atlantic have, it has the best snowmaking system, bar none!!! Also, with the exception of a couple of the glades, the slopes have a lush layer of grass underneath the snow base. So, even if the base is thin, you're unlikely to hit any rocks. I've skied 7-Springs for many years and have never damaged the bottoms of my skis there.
JR
December 18, 2004
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
That place just amazes me. They do snowmaking on sections of the mountain rather than individual trails. With the wide openness of the place they basically just cover everything with snowmaking, including the glades. Anyone know how they compare to snowshoe with snowmaking capacity? I know a few years ago they both used the foot of snow on a football field per hour thing and 7 springs was a good bit more capable. I wonder if Snowshoe has caught up?
Mountain Masher
December 19, 2004
541 posts
Although Snowshoe has far more vertical than 7-Springs, they have nowhere near the snowmaking capacity of 7-Springs. Under ideal weather conditions 7-Springs can run over 500 snow-guns at the same time (they have about 812 guns total) while pumping over 32,000 Gallons (of water) Per Minute (GPM)!!!! No other ski area in North America is capable of such a feat as 7-Springs holds the current snowmaking record (in terms of GPM). My best guess is that The Shoe can pump about 11,000 GPM under ideal conditions, which is still very respectable.
JR
December 19, 2004
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
well, the engineering nerd in me decided to do a calculation before going to church. Snowshoe posted 2500 tons/hr. using 8.3 lb / gallon of water I converted MM's post of 7springs 32000 gpm to tons/hr and got

Snowshoe = 2500 tons/hr
7springs = 7968 tons/hr

Thats over 3 times the capacity. They also say they have 400 total guns compared to MM's posted 800+ for 7springs. So if 7 springs can run 500 at a time they can operate more simultaneously than Snowshoe even posesses. I have seen snowshoe say they were operating more than 200 guns at once though.

Your guess of 11000 gpm was pretty darn close by my calcs, about 1/3 the capacity.

All i can say is that i've seen snowshoe's at full blast and WOW, i'd love to see 7springs at full capacity.

Ok, off to church later
Mountain Masher
December 19, 2004
541 posts
JR, thanks for the technical update. My best guess that 7-Springs has close to 3 times the snowmaking capacity of Snowshoe seems to be pretty accurate. I might add that 7-Springs doesn't normally pump 32,000 GPM of water through it's system nor does The Shoe pump 11,000 GPM through it's system on a normal snowmaking day. Those figures are just what the resorts are capable of, although 7-Springs did pump 32,000 GPM for a few hours (several years ago) in order to set a snowmaking record. I might add that The Shoe's snowmaking system is more than adequate because The Shoe has colder weather and more natural snow than 7-Springs.
shearer519
December 20, 2004
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
149 posts
I'm really surprised to hear that Seven Springs holds the record for snowmaking capacity. I have always thought that Killington would hold that record. Given their size and the fact that almost every slope at Killington has snowmaking on it I bet they would have to at least be a close second to Seven Springs. Mountain Masher do you have any clue where Killington stands on this.
Mountain Masher
December 20, 2004
541 posts
I would also think that Killington, and perhaps Hunter and Sunday River would have equal-to or more snowmaking capacity than 7-Springs. I'm sure that Killington, in particular, has close to the snowmaking capacity of 7-Springs. By the way, my source for the information on 7-Springs is a newspaper article on the 7-Springs snowmaking system that is framed and hangs in the lodge there; exactly where it's located in their massive lodge complex I can't remember. I've also talked with some of the 7-Springs employees about their snowmaking system.
SpringsRegular
December 20, 2004
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
153 posts
Do not forget that the HKD Tower guns were invented and that ongoing development still occurs at Seven Springs. I can get some specific specs on the Seven Springs snowmaking capacity if you would like. There is actually a new gun this year with 8 nozzles on it that is supposed to be able to make twice as much snow at lower temps than the older models. One of them can often be seen on the web cam shot of Fawn lane.

One of the big advantages that seven springs has is that they do not have to drag guns and hoses all over the slopes as 95% of the guns are permanent. They do have the ability to use Omicron ground guns to supplement the stationary guns when and where needed.

It is quite a site to see in February when they host people from all over the world for the "Snowmaking Fest" and EVERY gun on the mountain is turned on.
SpringsRegular
December 24, 2004
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
153 posts
From todays ski report:

" We are making snow at the rate of 30,000 gallons per minute!!!"
Mountain Masher
December 24, 2004
541 posts
I skied 7-Springs on Tue and Wed (the 21st and 22nd of Dec.). The conditions were very good and about 2/3 of the mountain was open. I skied the North Face most of both days and would rate the actual snow coverage (on the slopes that were open) as being about average, plus there were no lift-lines!
Dave K
December 24, 2004
Member since 06/21/2004 🔗
8 posts
The amount of snow that 7 can crank out truly is amazing. There's nothing like leaving the slopes at night and driving by the North side of the mountain. I've seen the entire face literally hidden behind a cloud of snow when they have the guns cranking at full capacity.

Hopefully with 72 hours of serious snowmaking, they'll be able to open everything west of Giant Boulder, since we know where the best skiing on the mountain is.
SkiBumMSP
December 29, 2004
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
I've just skied there the day after Christmas. They had all but I think, two runs, on the north side opened. Overall, the conditions were really good, especially on Gunner. The cover through those glades there off the Tyrol lift looked thin, though. I did not go through them as I had on a brand-new pair of Volkl Supersport 5-stars.

However, while skiing up there Sunday, it started snowing! And it was coming down fierce! It made for some truly awesome skiing conditions, although the drive down 381 to 40 to I-68 was interesting, though. Finally got out of the snow around Cumberland, MD on the way back to Fredericksburg, VA.

I would be willing to bet they got everything opened by now.
Dave K
December 29, 2004
Member since 06/21/2004 🔗
8 posts
Yeah I was out there yesterday. Conditions were truly great. I stayed on the north face most of the day to avoid the crowds on the front face. Packed powder everywhere with some lighter stuff on Gunnar and Giant Steps where they were cranking out the snow. Gunnar was truly an amazing ride all day--definitely an awesome slope to really work on the carving.

Additionally, snow making for the half pipe is coming along, but it looks like they'll need at least a week of good snow making conditions to finish it up. Hopefully the warm up won't set things back too much.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?