Snowshoe Proposal
11 posts
7 users
3k+ views
jc376
December 16, 2004
Member since 12/13/2004 🔗
12 posts
Anyone have any suggestions/advice on where at Showshoe would be a great place to get engaged? This will be our first time there so I'm not familiar with it at all.

Thanks.
skidmo
December 16, 2004
Member since 10/10/2003 🔗
32 posts
Right on the Widowmaker Slope. You just have to love the irony!

Actually, I would suggest a reletively early dinner at Red Fox, followed by a private sleigh ride. Call the sleighride company before hand to let them know what's going on and get their suggestions. Absent the sleighride, I'm not sure there's a very romantic spot as the village is kind of bustling at night. There's some nice areas down by the water at the base of the slopes, but you can't get there at night. Or, here's an wild ass idea. Call Snowshoe and see if they would set up a candlelight dinner down at the little hut on the water at the base of the slopes. My guess is if you dangle enough cash in front of them, they'll do it. As a last resort, four tequila shots per person, one hot tub and a bottle of wesson oil for later.

Edited to add this thought: Also, perhaps the sleigh ride company can set up a camp fire somewhere and take you there on the sleigh.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 16, 2004
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Agree with the Red Fox and the sleigh ride. If you call the Adventure Centre, you could also have the sleigh ride to the Sunrise Hut, you can rent the entire place for a night with a big fireplace, etc... Not to worry, they will do the fire for you so you don't have to take your eyes off your mate... George, the manager of the Sunrise Hut, is a delightful fellow who loves doing just those special things. He will be there when you want him and disappear when you don't.
jc376
December 16, 2004
12 posts
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, all of the sleigh rides have been booked for our weekend (Christmas, go figure!) I'm going to have to think of some alternatives and look into other suggestions.

Thanks again!
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 16, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I think Lou's suggestion of the Sunrise Hut is a good one. Another idea would be to work something out with one of the lift attendants (maybe the Skidder lift as the sun is setting and the slopes are about to close). Have him stop the lift the just before you are about to unload. Pop the question and if she says she has to think about it, don't allow the lift operator to start the lift. Now that's what I call pressure.
ski_guy_59
December 16, 2004
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
Another good idea from John. But that raises this question: if you're close to getting off, couldn't she just slide out of the chair and ski off? =) I doubt that will happen. Good luck! Now I have another idea to toss in the proposal ideas box!
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 16, 2004
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Mmmm... You know another venue is the Elk River Touring Center, ( http://www.ertc.com ) they seem to have virtually everything and besides, the place is REALLY romantic and quaint. They may even have a sleigh or two, They also have an awesome restaurant. ERTC is also the best nordic ski place in the area.

The other place you may want to try for resourcefulness is the Brazen Head Inn ( http://www.brazenheadinn.com/ ). The owner and his sons have a spectacular Irish Inn with music on Saturdays. Their restaurant is about one of the most quaint and cozy I've ever seen, and each one of their bedrooms is a work of art in wood. They're all different. They may suggest something...

If you still are set at Snowshoe, forget the clerks and call the head of the Adventure Center, Dave Huber, personaly. He's one of the nicest and most fantastic people on the mountain, has about the best customer service manners and I'm sure he will think of a million things. Frankly, that's about the only way to get things done through the Snowshoe bureaucracy.
snowcone
December 16, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Well, as a female, a late evening candle light dinner at Red Fox. If you contact the management way ahead of time for reservations(before you arrive at SS) and tell them what you intend to do and ask their advice as to menu, wines, etc., I think they would agree to help out ... every one loves a love story. Plus I am sure they would get you a nice out of the way table. Of course its gonna cost a bunch of bucks but she's worth it ... right?
jc376
December 16, 2004
12 posts
Wow! You all are very good! You've provided invaluable information. I was able to get (last minute) reservations at Red Fox but will forgo the proposal at the restaurant as I want to make it a private affair (even in a secluded part of the restaurant). I'll take into consideration the other suggestions too. Anyother advice is appreciated of course. I'll keep everyone informed. Thanks!!
warren
December 17, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
You realize of course we are all curious now!
The price for the advice is we want to know how it all goes

Anyway, I hope it all works out well! I'll be there on the mountain from 12/26/04 - 01/02/05 (over in one of the PowderRidge units)

Peace,
-Warren-
skidmo
December 17, 2004
Member since 10/10/2003 🔗
32 posts
I would still check with the adventure center over at Silver Creek to see if they have a place for an outdoor fire. Perhaps you could snowshoe over to the fire from teh adventure center (they have snowshoes there), pop a bottle of champagne by the fire, and then pop the question.

I would defer to the women, but the more you show creativity and effort, the more points you will score. She wants to tell all her friends how you popped the question. Give her as many details for her story as you can. For example, if you two have a song, bring a tape player and play it. If she has a favoroite flower, bring it. If you have a momento from your first date, use it. Basically, if it would make a guy gag at the thought of it, she'll love it. Just remember. They're not human, they're women. There's a difference.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.