Resorts Dreams - What might have been

2 posts
2 users
78 views
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,126 posts

Scott posted this in another thread.

Scott wrote:

It’d be fun to write a story looking at Mid-Atlantic plans that made it pretty far in the design process but ultimately never happened, at least not in the way originally envisioned. Another example that comes to mind is the backside of Whitetail.  I seem to recall there was also once talk of connecting the Silver Creek and main basin areas at Snowshoe with a lift, but can’t remember if that was ever formally considered by Snowshoe or just the idle dreams of skiers.  What else am I missing?

There have been a few resorts that almost were or existing resorts that were to be expanded or revived. Tory and College Mountain and the DCSki favorite fantasy resorts, Almost Heaven. To start I offer these two maps. 

I picked the Timberline proposed master plan sometime in the late 1980s while visiting during the summer or fall.

The proposed master plan for Laurel was commissioned by Urban Ski in the 1990s by Sno Engineering.


👍 1
Stephen
an hour ago
Member since 02/16/2024 🔗
224 posts
That advertisement for Timberline is true. It seems like the area should be much more popular.