Will Salamander be open this weekend?
6 posts
5 users
1k+ views
bawalker
December 14, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
The more I keep looking at Timberline and seeing this artic like blizzard looking conditions, I'm wondering if Salamander will be open on Thurs or by the weekend? I have a group of friends going who are all beginners and a few intermediates and if Salamander is open, it would be heaven for them.

What other trails might be open this weekend??
jimmy
December 14, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Brad, I'll be there Thursday since 7 Springs isn't opening til Friday. Should be plenty for beginners to do off the mid-station on thursday though.

jimmy
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 14, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,991 posts
Quote:

The more I keep looking at Timberline and seeing this artic like blizzard looking conditions, I'm wondering if Salamander will be open on Thurs or by the weekend? I have a group of friends going who are all beginners and a few intermediates and if Salamander is open, it would be heaven for them.

What other trails might be open this weekend??

Brad, rumor has it that Timberline is making snow on Sally, which is unusual because they usually focus all their efforts on White Lightning before making snow on Sally. However, given their increased snowmaking capacity, I would not rule Sally out.

I've bugged Doug Clayton, the webmaster at Timberline, to post projected trail openings tomorrow, but these decisions are not up to Doug. They get made above his pay grade.
Lietmotiv
December 14, 2004
Member since 12/31/2001 🔗
113 posts
Thanks John

As John says. I have no idea. The snow report is worth keeping an eye on. I make a point of making sure it's up to date. But Timberline likes to open with deep bases. We all know the drill. We get upset when slopes don't open early because we see snow on them. Then we come here and complain and then when they do open we get amnesia about it and state how great it is that Timberline waits until they have deep bases before they open slopes. Rinse and Repeat.
bawalker
December 14, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Whoa... I have a 5 star rating. When did that happen? lol

John, would you happen to know if any of TLines snowmaking expansion included installing pipes/guns up the lower salamander to where the Forrestry Service boundary is at? That would be a HUGE welcome improvement if they did.

Just one observation ... in my personal opinion Timberline really needs to invest in another lift. I've debated many times on whether they should replace thunderdraft with a high speed quad, or just install another lift elsewhere. The reason being is that I've NEVER seen any resort's base lodge so crowded as Tlines is during peak days. All trails funnel right into the lodge and Thunderdraft lift. I can NOT begin to count how many times i've been run over, hit, had my board skiied over while making my way slowly to the lifts past the lodge. It's insane.

I would love to see a lift in one of a few places:

1.) The base of the lift be placed somewhere right above where "Easy Does It" intersects Lower Salamander and have this lift be a nonstop ride to "Flag Spruce/Bear Stroll". At least that would be almost dedicated to beginners for the Salamander and hard core skiiers/riders for OTW and The Drop.

2.) My second and more favorable choice would be placing the base of the new lift at the intersection of the new unnamed trail and "Winterset" there on that turn. Have the lift go oh... right past the first bend in the new trail. This would provide beginners another dedicated area where they can hang out all day. They can ride to the top on Thunderdraft, ride down and go back up the new lift. Or goto midstation, go down "Winterset" and back up the new lift constantly untill they were done and could slide right down the lower Winterset run.

Thoughts...?
Rickh
December 15, 2004
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
They need one high speed quad. That's it....That would be great. Then again we need to be careful what we ask for, one high speed quad could bring too many people!!!!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?