Canaan Valley or Timberline Next Sunday
13 posts
7 users
2k+ views
Kahuna613
December 13, 2004
Member since 11/20/2003 🔗
56 posts
If I wanted to head out next Sunday, what do think will be better (cost-benefit wise)? CV is offering $5 lift tickets with a Toys for Tots donation Friday-Sunday and Timberline has College Days discounts (lift tickets for $13). I am leaning toward Timberline, but I have never been to CV (so maybe I should try it while its cheap).
Rickh
December 13, 2004
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
Canaan is always cheap if you know how to get coupons!!!! CV is usually ahead of of T-line when it comes to early season trails being open. Then again this year is probably different. You can't go wrong either way, ITS SKIING!!!!!

THINK SNOW
tommo
December 13, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Based on past years, Canaan will likely have only two or three runs open by the weekend, typically Valley Vista, Face and Canaan Curve, in addition to the three beginner trails. They will likely still be working on Timber Trail and Chute. Of course, with their huge snowmaking expansion this year, they may be able to get more open, but they are starting from zero e.g. no base at all.

Timberline was in better shape prior to the warm temps last week and had made significant snow on Salamander and had covered one run all the way from base to summit. They also have improved their blowing capacity this year and are looking to be much more aggressive in opening terrain this year. They actually had the guns going hard 10 days ago and were blowing even when the temp was around 37 . If that is any indication of their new approach, the they'll likely be firing on all cylinders this week.

There has also been a small amount of natural snow in the valley to help out - about 3" as of yesterday night. While it's really not significant in terms of a skiing base, at least does help to cool and harden the ground to make the blown snow more effective. And, of course, there are forecasts for continues snow showers for the next few days that could add 6 or 10 inches powder to the mix.

If I were you, I'd check the sites on just prior to leaving and then head for Snowshoe or CV and then just look at what's open when you get there....
Rickh
December 13, 2004
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
T-Lines Web Site just posted 8+ of natual snow in the last 24hrs!!!!!!!!!
tommo
December 13, 2004
303 posts
Hmmmmm....maybe. I left there at 7:30 last night and it was 38 degrees and not snowing. There had been about 3 or, at most, 4 inches through Sunday mid-day. I would expect that on-going snow showers will add a few more inches each day this week. Of course, when compacted, that won't make much difference when it comes to opening slopes where you need a solid foot or so of base. Great news, though - looks like we may have decent conditions over the holidays, which is actually somewhat unusual if you look back over the years!
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 13, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I think a lot will depend on what trails each resort opens. Both places have more robust snowmaking than last year, so both could surprise us with the amount of terrain available.

Here's my suggestion: ski both places!!!!

For $18, you'll get more terrain than anywhere else in the region except Snowshoe.
Rickh
December 13, 2004
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
Good call....

I was at T-Line last New Years, kindof warm and wet. Looking at the long range forcast, I don't think that's going to happen this year.

Does anyone know if there is a chance they will open the new trail at Timberline?
December 13, 2004
1,986 posts
Quote:

Good call....

I was at T-Line last New Years, kindof warm and wet. Looking at the long range forcast, I don't think that's going to happen this year.

Does anyone know if there is a chance they will open the new trail at Timberline?

That trail is projected to open next season (05-06). It's a big trail that will require a lot of work, so don't hold your breadth. Also, they've said nothing about snowmaking on it and without snowmaking, it's not a trail--anything on that Western side of the mountain without snowmaking will not hold enough natural snow to be viable as a ski trail.
Roger Z
December 13, 2004
2,181 posts
Just checked Whitegrass's website. They were open today. Here's the quote:

Jake skied to Baldy yesterday after 3"-5" fell saturday and now another 3"-5" this am so far and some say a foot by tomorrow.LOTS OF NEW WEB UPDATES LATER THIS EVE. Lots to catch up with and new photos, stories...great to be back!

The foot is not an exaggeration. NWS has got a winter storm warning out for Tucker County of 4 to 8 inches of snow by morning. No telling what that will translate into for a) the Sods at 4000 feet or b) Canaan Valley, which is higher than much of Tucker County, or if c) it takes into account any snow that has fallen thus far.

Reasonable to think there could be up to a foot of snow in the Valley by the time all is said and done. John will keep us posted, I'm sure!
December 13, 2004
1,986 posts
Quote:

Just checked Whitegrass's website. They were open today. Here's the quote:

Jake skied to Baldy yesterday after 3"-5" fell saturday and now another 3"-5" this am so far and some say a foot by tomorrow.LOTS OF NEW WEB UPDATES LATER THIS EVE. Lots to catch up with and new photos, stories...great to be back!

The foot is not an exaggeration. NWS has got a winter storm warning out for Tucker County of 4 to 8 inches of snow by morning. No telling what that will translate into for a) the Sods at 4000 feet or b) Canaan Valley, which is higher than much of Tucker County, or if c) it takes into account any snow that has fallen thus far.

Reasonable to think there could be up to a foot of snow in the Valley by the time all is said and done. John will keep us posted, I'm sure!

The NOAA forecast is as follows:

Quote:

Tonight. Brisk with snow showers. Snow accumulation of 5 to 7 inches. Lows around 20. West winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts up to 45 mph.

Tuesday. Snow showers likely in the morning. Then a chance of snow showers in the afternoon. Snow accumulation around an inch. Breezy with highs in the mid 20s. West winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent.

Tuesday night. Mostly cloudy. A chance of snow showers in the evening. Lows around 15. West winds 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Chance of snow 30 percent. Wind chill values zero to 10 above zero.

Wednesday. Mostly cloudy in the morning. Then becoming partly cloudy. Highs around 30. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Lowest wind chill readings zero to 16 above zero in the morning.

Wednesday night. Mostly clear. Lows around 18. West winds 10 to 15 mph.

andy
December 13, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
You left before the cold front barelled thru Tommo.The 1st episode was just a warm up(38 when you left)This is the real deal!Its about 17degrees up there now..that cold air picks up a good bit of moisture from the lakes this time of year when the waters are still warm.There will be close to a foot from this new system.+ there are more chances fri & later on this weekend.My nieghbor is heading out to SS from down here in Se NC tommorro morn..he went last year this same time period. Barely made it with all the snow last year!Some people have all the luck.I went to colorado for a week last year & counted 3 flakes.I usually sit in FL visiting family during X-Mas & new years watching all the snow falling in WV on the weather chan.Hey Roger,The valley?,the Sods? What about MPC & the roaring plains??!!??That is the TRUE NORDIC...Snow on my statue untill early april prob.
December 14, 2004
1,986 posts
The pictures coming in today on the web cam are incredible. The place is covered with snow.
JR
December 14, 2004
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
$1 lift tickets on thursday, 'nuff said

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.