Senior Skiers!??!
13 posts
12 users
2k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 11, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Obviously most of the folks who use this site are much younger than I (63). However, I wounder how many are age 50 and or beyond. We could create a DCSKI "Over the Hill Gang" that might enjoy skiing or tripping together. Folks that really enjoy the sport, but who's get-up-and-go is not what it used to be. For example, I find that I tire more easily when skiing, and tackling the bumps is a rarity. So what if I might rest more during a ski day, I still really enjoy the sport. Come on now, for any of you out there that can identify with me, identify yourselves. Maybe even get together some time. And we might want to enjoy company on a ski trip, such as I am planning out west in late January.
The Colonel
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 11, 2004
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Small world Colonel; I'm 63 too. Just responded to a similar thread on telemarktips.com Here's some of what I said.

I ski better now than ever, but not for as many runs per day. Quality over quantity. I started tele at 48, snowboard at 56. My first Tuckerman's run was at 49, first tele Tuck's run at 50, first serious forays into backcountry at 58.

We should be able to ski well for a long time yet. Just be careful, be good to yourself. Eat carefully, work out all year, and learn your body's vulnerabilities, knees, back, whatever and take special care to strengthen and protect these parts. I have to be especially careful about pace. My young friends (I don't have many old backcountry friends) will show up at the trailhead late, then double or triple the pace to make up for lost time. I can't do that. Even trying to do that takes the fun out of the experience.
Roy
December 12, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Ok I'm only 35 but senior skiers always inspire me to continue on. There are many instructors at Liberty who are in the senior set and I have as much fun skiing with them as I have in the terrain park with the teenagers.

There are many of the instructors in their late '50's/60's and a few of them in their 70's (one guy we believe to be about 78).

I hope you guys can ski until you're 100. That's my goal.
snowcone
December 12, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
We are talking physical age here, I assume. Well my external age may be more than a tad over 50 but my internal age is rip roaring into my 3rd childhood; got thru the 2nd childhood in my 40's. I ski with my partner (18 yrs younger than I) and my daughter 30 years younger. I learned to ski 3 years ago after returning to the US. Living thirty years in southern Greece isn't exactly conducive to making turns on frozen water; we have other uses for the wet stuff in Greece, like sailing.

Anyway, I am finding that, whereas the spirit is willing, the body poops out long before I'm ready to quit. I guess I need to maybe ski my age? Slow down? So I can last longer the a day! Any suggestions how I can spread my energy over a longer period? It really annoys me that I have to go in mid-day while the other 2 stay out. My legs just plumb give out.

Oh by the way .. I love skiing more than any other sport ... just whacks me out that I can't do as much as I would like.

I like the idea of an Over-the-Hill Gang .. but take exception to the name .. I'm not over the hill just climbing it a bit slower. Couldn't we do better namewise?
mrhazmat
December 12, 2004
Member since 12/7/2000 🔗
47 posts
Well said, Snowcone. I am 52 and like to think I can ski like 32. I've been skiing on and off 20+ years and still can't get enough of it. Glad to see the snow coming finally. The suggestion for the forum is great but I don't feel I'm over the hill just yet. One of my personal skiing goals is to wear all the ski resorts out by skiing free when I'm seventy! Shoot we can even get some discounts now at over 50. "Get Better Go Cheaper"

Later,
Doug
TOMF
December 13, 2004
Member since 11/17/2003 🔗
60 posts
Hey Colonel, you're talkin 'bout my generation. Put me on your list.

Tom
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 13, 2004
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Col, I think you're voicing something that a lot of people should be attuned to. With skier demographics edging older, the influence and agenda of senior skiers should be on the upswing. I would think there would be a lot of opportunity for fun and economies of scale, industry wide.
One of the bittersweet underlying aspects of my recent piece for DCSki encouraging older folks to keep on skiing is that there is undoubtedly skier attrition as we age. I've lost some favorite ski buddies, who have gradually phased out of the sport. Those of us who keep going (I'm 51) need to encourage each other, maybe band together. I found out a long time ago that as great as skiing is, it's gets a little lonely, not to mention unsafe, when skiing by yourself. One thing that helps me is that I still have 4 kids living under my roof. When they were younger there was a lot of hassle in the gear-up for ski outings, but now I'm getting the payoff. I enjoy their company a lot and they are guaranteed ski buddies.
I hope we can pull off a couple DCSki gatherings this season for all ages. Next opportunity I'd like to put on the radar screen for something like that is the Jan 5 Ski Center $15 demo day at Liberty. Weather permitting, I'm going to go to that regardless.
Not to hijack the thread, but any of you folks ever give thought to retiring in a ski locale? I'm tempted to do that someday, about 10 yrs from now. But there is a lot to consider. Planning to live 12 mos a year in a semi-remote mtn location that catches a very snowy climate while your aging into your 60s and 70s should probably not be undertaken without careful consideration about health care, social stuff like the presence of other seniors, culture, good transportation connections, availability of other kinds of services, etc, etc.
snowcone
December 13, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Actually, we are looking into both Tahoe and SLC areas to make a move. I need to work or I'll go crazy from boredom and my hunny is way far away from retirement age so he needs a job too. Tahoe might be the answer .. lots of resorts, mountain biking off season, someplace to have a horse .. would probably have to give up the kayaks but the high desert and Sierra's would mitigate the loss. With things the way they are here in the beltway, going West is becoming more of a when than an if.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 13, 2004
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
I ran my first marathon at 40 and am down 5 for the count now over 50. That and six 500+ mile bike rides. Bench 1.5 times my body weight. Physical age is immaterial. What matters are PMA, healthy dietary habits, and making sports (which includes skiing) a part of a life style.

Yes, my recovery time at the gym is twice that of a 22-year old -- a fit one, that means. The rate of obesity in the under-30 crowd today is thought provoking and about three times what the rate was when we were in college. Too much car-related activities, too many times at McDonald's, too many pizzas. The last time I entered a McDonald's was in 1978. Don't plan to visit them anytime soon either.

One of my role models is a wonderful and absolutely great human being and friend who, at the age of 73, still runs Marine Corps every year AND still does hard blue runs with ease. Hope to have his stamina and courage in 20 years....

Count me in in any activities.
kennedy
December 13, 2004
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I've been taking Shaolin Kung fu for over a year now and one thing the Shaolin monks passed down is that the effects of time can be drastically slowed as long as the mind and body are constantly invigorated. From what I've read here there seems to be a grain of truth in it. I've seen the effects of letting yourself slide first hand in my grandfather who decided that his working days were over and so he spent 90% of his time sitting convincing himself he had ailments. Instead of being active and enjoying his retirement he took a strange joy in becoming a self inflicted cripple. It's a pretty strange thing to say but it all depends on your mindset. I think you can ski and ride as long as you want provided you lay the foundation early. For everyone over 60 who still skis or rides on a regular basis, regardless of how many runs you get in a day and how long it takes to recover, I take my hat off to you.
SkiBumMSP
December 13, 2004
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

Ok I'm only 35 but senior skiers always inspire me to continue on. There are many instructors at Liberty who are in the senior set and I have as much fun skiing with them as I have in the terrain park with the teenagers.

Same here! I am also "only" 35, and always loved to see the seniors out there. Heck, there are a couple folks on the patrol that are seniors as well as some of the instructors.

Also, I am a member of the Fredericksburg Ski Club, and I am, by far, the youngest one there! The next oldest member is a good 10 years senior to me. However, I am still sooo looking forward to that Breckinridge, CO trip with them in February!

As far as I am concerned, on the slope, age really doesn't matter to me. I've had just as much fun skiing with that 65 year-old gentleman as I did with that kid half my age. It has everything to do with the love of the sport and keeping a healthy body and mind.

God bless, and enjoy the slopes, regardless how old/young you may be.
Bill
January 12, 2005
Member since 01/5/2005 🔗
42 posts
Good Morning Colonel! I have just recently joined this wonderful group of folks, and have been looking through some of the older posts and saw this one. I am 62 and have been skiing for about 15 years now.

Like you, I tend to ski slower and stay mostly to the blues with the ocassional black. Definately would be interested in getting together on the slopes with others sometime.

As for those tired legs, I highly recommend inline skating during the Spring - Fall seasons, to stay in shape for skiing. Inline skating uses the same muscle groups as skiing, and a lot of the movements on skates are very similar to skis. I started skating 10 years ago because of my legs and knees giving out and now they don't!

Hope to see you and others this season!

Cheers,
MadMonk
January 12, 2005
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
I'm in my 30s but my dad is 67 and still skis, runs, bikes, and sails. I love seeing you older guys out there as it gives me something to shoot for.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.