Ski Shots
7 posts
5 users
1k+ views
shearer519
December 10, 2004
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
149 posts
Ok guys. During this summer I think we all had a lot of fun sharing pictures. But it can sometimes be hard to find good pictures of different resorts. Because of this and because of the overwhelming response I got to the pictures I posted this summer I decided to attempt a website that will bring pictures of ski areas all to one place. The website isn't very impressive though since I only know how to use FrontPage. Right now it only is focusing on the Mid-Atlantic. I will be expanding the selection as my time permits. So I encourage you to check it out and tell me what you think, and also to submit pictures to the website.

Ski Shots - Your online ski guide and picture place
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 10, 2004
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Pretty cool. Does anything go, or should we assume you want originals from the owner of the photo, not stuff plucked off the internet from various locations, such as ski area websites, webshots, biglines, etc?
SkiBumMSP
December 10, 2004
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
You mean pictures like this, such as this one at Massanutten a couple years ago?
And yes, that is your's truly. Actually, I do have some pictures of Massanutten. I'll have to scan them in. Better yet, I'll have to remember to take my digital camera up there one of these weekends and get some good pictures of the area.

shearer519
December 11, 2004
149 posts
Quote:

Does anything go, or should we assume you want originals from the owner of the photo, not stuff plucked off the internet from various locations, such as ski area websites, webshots, biglines, etc?

I only want pictures submitted to me that a person takes themselves or they have the rights to distribute. I don't want to find myself in any trouble with copyright infringement down the road.

SkiBumMSP,
I am looking more for pictures that show off the character of each resort. I want this website to be something that people go to in order to find out what to expect to see at a certain resort. I believe that raw stats can only show so much about a resort. Close up shots of people such of the one you put up are nice but they don't show of the resort at all. This being said I don't want to discourage pictures being submitted that have people in them but also show off the resort.

As for what is next for this site, I plan on contacting the various ski resorts and ask them for permission to take pictures off their websites or to send me some shots. I will be doing this over the next few weeks I will also be adding states throughout the winter with the goal of having the east coast covered by the end of winter. So far I am encouraged and a little surprised at the earlier success at this site. I've had over 600 hits and about 70 unique visitors since its launch this afternoon. So thanks everyone for checking it out.
Roy
December 11, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
When Liberty opens I'll take my digital camera up there and get some resort shots for you.

BTW, technically Ski Hawksnest is in 7 Devils, NC, not Banner Elk.
tommo
December 11, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
I think this is a great idea!! Pictures always seem to be some close up "action shot" which show nothing of the character of a ski area. We really need some way to caption the shots on the site though, to give a bit of context. Regardless, though, this is exactly the type of info that seems to be unavailable anywhere else.
shearer519
December 11, 2004
149 posts
Ok guys thanks for all the comments. I fixed the location on Ski Hawknest and added captions to all the pictures. I also got a little more specific on the webpage of the types of pictures I am looking for because of the comments here. Thanks again for all the imput and keep it coming.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.