Timberline Getaway Question
14 posts
6 users
2k+ views
skidmo
December 9, 2004
Member since 10/10/2003 🔗
32 posts
Assuming that temperatures ever get below 50 degrees again, I'm looking for suggestions as to hotels within a short driving distance to Timberline (30 minutes or so). The plan woiuld be for a group of guys in DC to head out after work one night. Drive to the hotel, drink a few beers at the hotel (or a bar nearby) and then head to Timberline the next morning for the first lift up. I saw the Purple "Something" B&B mentioned in an earlier post, but I don't think 5 guys in a B&B is what we're looking for. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 9, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Quote:

Assuming that temperatures ever get below 50 degrees again, I'm looking for suggestions as to hotels within a short driving distance to Timberline (30 minutes or so). The plan woiuld be for a group of guys in DC to head out after work one night. Drive to the hotel, drink a few beers at the hotel (or a bar nearby) and then head to Timberline the next morning for the first lift up. I saw the Purple "Something" B&B mentioned in an earlier post, but I don't think 5 guys in a B&B is what we're looking for. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Try the Purple Fiddle Cafe B&B in Thomas. Outside of the Timber's pub at the resort, it's one of the few games in town as far as apres ski is concerned. Timberline is a far cry from Snowshoe or 7 Springs in the Apres Ski department.

The Village Inn motel is closer to the resort and is quite decent. Another choice is the Lodge at Blackwater Falls State Park. CV lodge is also nice but their deals are connected with CV and not Timberline. There are additional hotels in Davis. Siriani's pizza is everyone's favorite restaurant--cheap and good with a nice ski atmosphere.
Glenn_C
December 10, 2004
Member since 11/14/2004 🔗
67 posts
Our office does it 2 or 3 times a season. We've rented cabins at both Blackwater and CV for 3 night stints. Very reasonable if you've got a large crew going. The deluxe cabins at Canaan go for ~240 per night with a three night minimum on weekends. They'll sleep 8 people easily and come with cable, a full kitchen, fireplace and stocked firewood. You get 6 guys together it works out to $40 per night per person. You can go a step down to the standard cabins. Great stone fireplaces but they don't have phones or TV. Blackwater's 4BR runs ~190 per night and you can do it for just Friday and Staurday night (no 3 night minimum). Much cheaper than Canaan but your about 15 minutes firther from the slopes and it's a bit more rustic than CV's cabins (still very clean and spacious). I heartily concur with John on the Fiddle--it's a must. Best selection of beer for 100 miles around and the atmosphere is about as laid back as it gets (except on bluegrass nights--Fri/Sat after 7 pm). Good luck and have fun!!
December 11, 2004
1,986 posts
Quote:

Our office does it 2 or 3 times a season. We've rented cabins at both Blackwater and CV for 3 night stints. Very reasonable if you've got a large crew going. The deluxe cabins at Canaan go for ~240 per night with a three night minimum on weekends. They'll sleep 8 people easily and come with cable, a full kitchen, fireplace and stocked firewood. You get 6 guys together it works out to $40 per night per person. You can go a step down to the standard cabins. Great stone fireplaces but they don't have phones or TV. Blackwater's 4BR runs ~190 per night and you can do it for just Friday and Staurday night (no 3 night minimum). Much cheaper than Canaan but your about 15 minutes firther from the slopes and it's a bit more rustic than CV's cabins (still very clean and spacious). I heartily concur with John on the Fiddle--it's a must. Best selection of beer for 100 miles around and the atmosphere is about as laid back as it gets (except on bluegrass nights--Fri/Sat after 7 pm). Good luck and have fun!!

The three night minimum that most properties demand at Timberline is a problem for many people. I think the resort would see a lot more business if that minimum was reduced to two nights. The real estate brokers should recognize
that most people only want to come for two nights and price properties accordingly. Groups should pay more per night for a two-night stay, but two nights should be an option.
Glenn_C
December 11, 2004
67 posts
Agreed John. The 3 night minimum forces you into taking Thursday night or Monday night which boxes you into a 3 day weekend. Although, our boss usually goes along with us so as long as it causes him no consternation losing that extra day of work--I'm in!!
dmh
December 12, 2004
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
127 posts
I am not certain about Timberline and other realators, but I do know that Black Bear has recently changed its rental policies and will now rent for less than the usual minimum of 3 days assuming anything is available. For those looking for a short stay may want to contact Black Bear.

FYI--I also have my Black Bear unit posted in the Classified Forum and will give a break to DCSki members who might need a rental in Canaan Valley.
December 12, 2004
1,986 posts
Quote:

I am not certain about Timberline and other realators, but I do know that Black Bear has recently changed its rental policies and will now rent for less than the usual minimum of 3 days assuming anything is available. For those looking for a short stay may want to contact Black Bear.

FYI--I also have my Black Bear unit posted in the Classified Forum and will give a break to DCSki members who might need a rental in Canaan Valley.

One point in favor of Black Bear Resort and other properties in the valley is their proximity to the mountain. With the cold weather coming in, we will be getting a lot of lake effect snow in the next few weeks and I wouldn't want to have to commute from Davis or Thomas to Timberline twice a day if I did not have to. It's a 12 mile drive to Davis from the mountain.
Glenn_C
December 12, 2004
67 posts
It is a good 15 minutes from Davis to the slopes but to be honest with you 32 is usually pretty smooth sailing even with the white stuff flying. WVDOT has a large station at the edge of Thomas and 32 is usually one of the first highways done. But I would agree that closer is certainly better and I have seen a few motorists ditch on 32 so it's obviously tough for some drivers.

I love the Black Bear pedestal units. We've been waiting for one of the deluxe units (hot tub room with a walkout downstairs) to go on the market for ages. All I ever see listed are the small ones. Impecabbly kept grounds, nice outdoor pool and mini-golf and the road upkeep/snow removal is one of the best in the area.
Rickh
December 13, 2004
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
Any idea of their rates? Looking to stay somewhere this Sat. night. Trying to get a day or two in this weekend. Are there any hotels close?
tommo
December 13, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
There are several resort properties in the valley that rent townhouses/condo's. Deerfield, Northpoint and Black Bear are probably the three with the most units and best values. Deerfield is by far the closet to the ski areas and has the added advantage of being very level (no 4wd needed.) Northpoint has really nice units, but the "roads" to some are very, very steep and unpaved. Blackbear has a nice setup, great views and easy roads, but the units are very small.

All of these will rent for fewer than the quoted minimum # of nights if there are units available. But there's only 12 weekends or so of prime winter play, so they frequently can get the requested times. All of these are far more reasonably priced than comparable sized places in Snowshoe or anywhere up north e.g. VT, NH, NY.

Here is a link that will take you to all the valley's lodging:

http://www.skithevalley.com/wheretos/wheretostay.html

We have stayed at all of three of the above plus CV and Blackwater State Parks over the years. Deerfield is by far the best for my tastes given the combination of resturants, access to the areas, parking, unit size and quality, etc... although the views from some Black Bear and virtually all Northpoint units are terrific and most at Northpoint have private hot tubs. The State Park cabins are often rented out a year in advance, so unless you are going mid-week, it's unlikely you'll get one. Also, the drive from the Blackwater cabins to the downhill areas is close 30 minutes. Of course, for when XC conditions are good, you are truly "slopeside."
December 13, 2004
1,986 posts
I would also add:

Northwoods, and Herzwoods condos.

These units are right at the mountain, but I think they all have a 3-day minimum. The quality of the units depends a lot on who owns them and what work they've put into the units. For Northwoods, B, C, and A units are the closest to the slopes.
Rickh
December 13, 2004
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
Thanks,

You are right, they do have three night minimums... Someone needs to put a Days Inn on route 32 in between T-Line & CV.

I'm just trying to get a day of skiing in before the holiday crowds...
tommo
December 13, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Another good option, if you have a decent sleeping bag and tent, is to camp at CV state park. The restrooms are heated and open year round and the rest of the State Park amenities are right there. Bring a space heater and extension cord, put up your tent, and enjoy a toasty evening at rates that can't be beat!
Rickh
December 13, 2004
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
tommo,

I enjoy a good bed to much for that. Plus I have two boys with me, then again they would probably love that!!! Dad on the other hand.......

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.