13 posts
7 users
2k+ views
Roy
December 9, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Article in the Post:

"With the decline of the family farm, many farmers have begun to focus on only one crop to help support their families. And farmer's are finding monetary rewards triple their normal income by using this strategy. But they have begun to ignore their other crops, which are more important to the global problem of hunger. If the farmer's continue this behavior, experts say, the commodities market will soar for items such as soybean futures, pork bellies, and citrus.

There really is only one corporation to blame, but in general it is the public whose appetite for immediate gratification is at fault. Many get in their cars for supposed pleasure trips but have that urge to devour logs. And the corporation just feeds the insanity by taunting the driver every half mile or so, praising their logs on every billboard.

Typically the younger generation has stood against the corporation, feeling no more need than to stop and urinate at the corporation. But it is the older generation, who maybe didn't have the same education and did not forsee the destruction of the logs and the overall effect it has. For if you have Grandma in the car on this trip, she will always want to stop at Stuckey's for a Pecan Log."
tromano
December 9, 2004
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Sorry, but what are you talking about? Is there a link for context and the whole story?
jimmy
December 9, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Obviously the scofflaw corporation has has been ignoring the laws of supply and demand. The younger generation's disdain for their product, evidenced by their repeated urination demonstrations, will eventually bring this evil corporation to it's day of reckoning.

In my perfect world, the solution to world hunger would be to take advantage of the surplus suppy. Forget soybeans, pig guts and citrus fruit and let them eat pecans!

Capitalist Snow Pig
DWW
December 9, 2004
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
144 posts
Some interesting thoughts - what the X#@$ are you talking about?
Roy
December 10, 2004
609 posts
Just a joke. I thought the Stuckey's Pecan Log would have given that away. It was meant to be some light-heartedness about logging.
tromano
December 10, 2004
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Quote:

Just a joke. I thought the Stuckey's Pecan Log would have given that away. It was meant to be some light-heartedness about logging.

Heh, I knew there was somthing fishie... people consuming logs.. oh yes1!!! an epidemic of greed and gluttony.
jimmy
December 10, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Just a joke? Roy, I was hoping we were on our way to solving world hunger. Man, we REALLY need to get about the business of Skiing; seems like the sixth sense (humor) is getting lost in this extended fall weather.
Roger Z
December 10, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
I think if everyone in the third world had a Stuckey's pecan log once a day that would pretty much solve world hunger, but would do nothing to improve America's global image: "Obese Ethiopians Decry Onslaught of Stuckey's, Shoney's Restaurants: Pecan Logs are 'So Wrong Yet So Right' Says Village Chieftan". Somewhere in the sixth or eighth paragraph you'd start to see parents worrying about their children becoming rednecks, like here .
jimmy
December 10, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

"Obese Ethiopians Decry Onslaught of Stuckey's, Shoney's Restaurants: Pecan Logs are 'So Wrong Yet So Right' Says Village Chieftan".

I can hear Lietmotiv chuckling at the image of Obese Ethiopians, he's probably never seen one before.

I'm not sure if Ethiopia's gun laws permit the redneck requisite rifle in the back window of the big 4x4 pickup with the mudders. Rumor has it that Marsh LLC is timbering Job Knob to make way for West Virginia's first Pecan Farm in order to be ready for third world log demand. Mountaineers can be rednecks too.

jimmy RCSP
Scott - DCSki Editor
December 10, 2004
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Yeah, I think we need the ski season to start soon.

For some more tongue-in-cheekness, in case you missed it when it ran back in 2001, you might enjoy the following article I wrote:

http://dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=545

The publication date was April 1.

- Scott
Glenn_C
December 10, 2004
Member since 11/14/2004 🔗
67 posts
Scott,
Too funny---especially loved the heated gondola for a 20 foot hill. Those things are usually about 15 feet long so skiers would certainly have had a smooth ride for their 5 feet of lift. .
Roy
December 11, 2004
609 posts
Yes we do need the season to start. I did get an email yesterday stating that Liberty's goal is to open on Thursday. Since I became a full time instructor last year (and a "ahem" self employed person during the off season), I've been going stir crazy at home with my wife giving me honey-do list every freaking day. I need to ski!!!
jimmy
December 13, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hey Scott, that's great, the reader comments are pretty good too. Maybe we need a tongue in cheek FYI section on the front page; we can nominate links to threads..... i remember one that gave advice on tree skiing, "keep both ski's on the same side of the tree...." type stuff. There are some pretty funny people writing some very entertaining stuff here.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.